Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Leaders

Tags
leaders
3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BostonHarborRat 
#1 ·
Decided to buy all the stuff i needed yesterday to start makin my own leaders. Got a few different sizes and style hooks, 60 feet of 45# steel line. Sleeves and barrels. Also got a Berklee tool too crimp the sleeves onto the steel, that came with a pack of sleeves too.
My question is,,,does anyone else make thier own leaders?
Do u use 2 sleeves on the crimp? or 1?
Im sure 2 helps keep it together but im worried about the presentation.
Does it make a difference?
Insight ladies n germs please and thank you!

thumbsup.gif

#3 ·
i call it "crimp". i dont know the correct term.
Pinch maybe. When u put the leader thru the sleeve, the hook, make a loop and put it back thru the sleeve and than "crimp" it together so it will stay.
I fish from land, lotta blues around the harbor so i like 2 use the steel leaders 45#. My line is 20#.

#4 ·
if you are fishing for stripers, loose the wire and use floro. Sure, you will lose some blues due to bite off but you will have better odds of getting stripers. Make up a bunch of floro leaders before you go out. Hooks are cheap floro is not. So make your laeders long so if you do get bitten off you can re-tie a hook with the good length of leader thats left.

#6 ·
45lb test is some serious wire.....

For offshre leaders, both mono and wire (for sharkin) I use sleeves and a HD adjustable crimping tool, this way, I know EVERY crimp is exactly the same... 1 sleeve per termination...

for insore stuff the ivisileader is great, it can be tied just like mono and is ultrathin....

#7 ·
if you have to fish wire get the steelon BLEEDING RED/ one crimp for the hook one for the barell swivel. don;t use a snap either. two knots. one > shock leader to main line (knot depending on type of line) and > one {i like a grinner} to the swivel. even a bluefish will shy away from that black coated stuff. the alternative is the coffee color wire but the blood red will get you a bass as well if you can get him before he feels the wire.

#9 ·
I keep a spool of steel with me. Just in case. I used it years ago regularly, when the toothy critters are around. I found I don't need to use it as i once did. 60# leader material will suffice.thumbsup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.