Was looking to get 10' Tsunami airwave and pair it with penn conquer - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Official Member

Default Was looking to get 10' Tsunami airwave and pair it with penn conquer

Any thoughts on this combo?
Was thinking 5000 or maybe get away with 4000 so I can do some inshore fishing in FL. Any other combo suggestion would be awesome, same price range. Oh I throw plugs from the beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Was looking to get 10' Tsunami airwave and pair it with penn conquer

that reels a piece of chit....
find another option. it will last a while but when it craps out on you at the most inconvenient time you will remember this post.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Was looking to get 10' Tsunami airwave and pair it with penn conquer

I'm a newb... bought a combo from bass pro. Was looking to upgrade any suggestion for a rod to pair with one of the mentioned reels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i shouldn't bash the penn silver or captiva's or any other knockaround reel they make.. sometimes the pocket can't afford much more that the cheaper reels out there. finn noor is a cheaper reel and not nuch more money that may come on one of the shakespeare rods. i am probably the only guy that still makes conversation regarding junk reels and such. some guys don't and will never have money for expensive tackle. does that make em less of a fisheman? maybe, but at least you get to fish.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:30 AM
cityfisherman

tica has mid range reels and so dose okuma so take a look at those reels
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Official Member

what about penn 650ssm or ssg? Is that metal vs graphite? Is that too lite for plugging or can I go smaller?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset park
what about penn 650ssm or ssg? Is that metal vs graphite? Is that too lite for plugging or can I go smaller?
Yes that is metal vs graphite. If you like skirted reels get the metal reel. The 2004 Graphite is much lighter and flimsier. The Spinfisher SSm Series - was penns upgrade from the smaller Spinfisher SSg Reels.

6500 is a perfect size for plugging with IMO.
Smaller is considered light tackle - or 750 is bigger and heavier.
For all the specs and a history check Scotts Bait and Tackle.

http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Reel-...32C1.aspx#conv

The 650ssm is now discontinued but still available. (24 oz)

http://www.pennreels.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the penn 4500/5500/6500's have bail issues if you use them for plugging exclusively. sooner or later that bail starts to flip and have a mind of it's own. easily tweaked to work again but what a pia. happens when you least expect it to. just food for thought.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Official Member

So I ended up with a time tested reel the 704z!!

Anybody use it with the airwave? thinking of goin with the 10'
Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

That will be a great combo. The Airwave is a good rod for the money and the 704Z is absolutely perfect retrieve speed for plugs. Good choice. The 704 will also have bail issues so make sure you maintain the bail mechanism rinse it and oil it after every outing you will have a reel that will last longer than you or I. I also open the case of the 704s and fill it with marine grease. That will keep the gears dry. Good Choice.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset park View Post
So I ended up with a time tested reel the 704z!!

Anybody use it with the airwave? thinking of goin with the 10'
w/ Jackbass Either one of the Airwave 10' will do just fine. your choice is either Lure 2-4 oz MH or 3-6 XH. If it was me I would go with the 2-4 but this depends on what you are throwing. You might find the 3-6 xh abit stiff for smaller stuff. It's your choice though so try them out with the reel if possible and see what you like
Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Official Member

What do you guys think of the 10' Penn Slammer w/ the SG6000 combo? Fishing w/ live bait from the surf. I know it's not one of the most expensive set ups out there but just wanted to see what you guys thought of it for the money.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Official Member

The Penn slammer is the rod not the reel. (since there are no responses)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 AM
First Mate

Part of the reason some may have not replied is that you should have started a new thread with this post as what you are doing is considered hijacking sunsets thread. You should also try a search on the Sargus as I'm petty sure there are several posts/threads on it. But this is what I know

Out of the lower priced Penn reels the Sargus is about the only newer spin I would consider. I think there are a few guys who have or are using them here. I think doublerunner and Brianj may have one. Do a search for that model on this site and see what you find. It's just many folks have steered clear of the newer Penn's as they have not come out with a decent/good and consistant spin reel in a while.(except maybe for the sargus) From what I remember I think some of the guys liked them, but really I have no idea as I have not used.

You should have been watching ebay a few days ago as several nice Mitchell 302 saltwaters have gone through. I would buy an eggbeater(Mitchell) or a Coffee Grinder (Penn 704/706) before I would buy any of the newer reels. I thought it was this thread where someone had mentioned the Mitchells and Penn 704s but I see now it was not. Guys have been using the Mitchell 300, 302 and 304 or Penn 704 for decades-they may not be the prettiest or smoothest reels out there but they sure are durable. If you get one of the older reels mentioned then make sure you clean it and then I would also get a drag kit or just washers from Smoothdrag (carbontex) for it. you would then have a reel that should last for decades If you look at the Mitchell the 402 and 404s are just the high speed versions of the 302 and 304
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Official Member

Sorry Sunset, didn't mean to hijack . Forgive me I'm still new to this site. Thanks Jersey 4 the info about the site AND the reels. I'm gonna look into them for my brother.