First For Me, I'm Hooked - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Official Member

Default First For Me, I'm Hooked

First of all, thanks for allowing me to absorb all your help and information while on the hunt for my first striper. I love to fish, have an old boat three years now, have fished Boston Harbor, and on vaca since 2002 on Nantucket. Having younger children also turns fishing into short trips as their attention span can't handle the boredom.
Anyway, much thanks to gunny sniper, roccus, striper jim, and many others for the tips which I used this morning out on eel point on Nantucket. I am on the last day of my vacation and with the weather the way it was this week we did not have many boating days. I caught a bluefish on tuckernuck island surfcasting with a castmaster the other day so I was happy. I had 2 eels left in my small cooler which I was about to throw out, but our house was quiet this morning so I took my truck out to eel point to the end. I had my boat rod with a 3500 baitrunner(forum recommended) for my eel and my surfcasting rod with a 4500 baitrunner. Taking the advice of many of your forums I decided not to plug just in deep water, I saw a very shallow area with dark patches and decided to throw and eel with one rod and plug with the other. Prior to reading these forums I would never think fish would be in such shallow water.
I was into my third cast with my lure and my rod next to me with the eel /sliding sinker bent and the line took off. For the first time I could tell this was not a typical blufish. This was heavy, running, and pulling line out. The tail surfaced
once and it took me a heart pounding 10 minutes to pull it in. I vowed I would never eat striper until I caught my own so even though it was a beautiful fish I am cooking it tonight on my last day of vacation. The second one I caught was a schoolie and once again I thank you for showing me how to release it properly as it swam off for another day.
My kids were so happy for me and giddy to hold it up for pictures. 37"
I finally had something to add to your forum. Thanks again.
To anyone that had watched Boston Legal, Thats a Denny Crane!
Jack-Norwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Default Re: First For Me, I'm Hooked

Congrats! May it be the first of many
Old 07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
psuedo-NOOBIE

Default Re: First For Me, I'm Hooked

Congrats buddy. I know the feeling! Caught my first one ever this year and things haven't been the same since.