Mouth of the Merrimack - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Mouth of the Merrimack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
there is a reason why 10 percent of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish...

there is a time and a place for every method...no one said you couldnt catch fish while on anchor.. it was simply stated that it is not the most EFFECTIVE method...when the fishing is easy.. everyones an expert.

But anchoring where the majority are drifting is just plain ignorant..

Drifting allows mobility..and can be done ANYWHERE...it also allows for the best presentation....

I'm done giving advise here, it's obvoiusly not needed.. I'm tired of wasting my time... happy anchoring...
i gotta admit my favorite time to anchor is usually 1 of 2 time periods.....dead high or dead low when the bite slows..(which usually means nap time,lol) or extreme weather (heavy rain or wind) then a bridge to anchor under looks good waiting it out....other then that drift away...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Official Member

I think Roccus summed it up nicely. Location...location...location. Yes it is foolish to anchor up at the mouth or anywhere in the channel. In fact, I've seen the harbor patrol and CG tell people to move out of the channel - as they should.

But back to location...If you are going to anchor up, then you need to be in the right spots since you don't cover any ground to find the fish. You need to anchor in the spot where you know there are or will be fish!

I have two fish over 40" caught this year while anchored. Biggest fish this year while drifting is 37". I guess we gravitate to what we know. LOL. As soon as I catch my 50 pounder on the drift, I'll start singing a different tune!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I have two fish over 40" caught this year while anchored. Biggest fish this year while drifting is 37". I guess we gravitate to what we know. LOL. As soon as I catch my 50 pounder on the drift, I'll start singing a different tune!
Just as an FYI guys - Roccus has 11 over 50 - 1 over 60 and a dozen more above 48 pounds. Several hundred over 40 - probably 10 over 40 this season alone.

I wouldn't presume to tell him how to fish. Not in this lifetime anyway.
In case you think its all been by boat drifting or eeling he has caught a 58 from the surf on a teaser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Jim,

Thanks for setting things straight. Roc is the best fisherman I know, and I listen when he has something to say. I'd like to see him posting like he used to, but fear those days are over. If his scale didn't bottom out at 50#, some of those might have been 60.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Sorry for the off topic digression.

No kidding Rick - He's disgusted and I don't blame him.
The net can suck sometimes. Guys become elitists very quickly.
Its frustrating to put out the effort when your very busy and get lame comments from others that really serve no productive purpose other than to argue.
It may just be the nature of the beast when we try to help the new guy. It seems that there are two types
1. those willing to put the time in - be respectful and work hard at trying to get better and
2. those who want instant gratification, spots and short cuts.
The no search - give me mentality turns off the masses. You can see why we have 12000 members and only a few hundred who actively want to contribute something concrete.
The sites that do well are the sites that destroy the idiotic questioners and annoying googans by attacking them. People love flame wars - and there are those that believe they should just give away spots because it brings in the most ad revenue.
The best we can do is to stay the course and hopefully get people active and attract users by useful and instructional content. We have a good strong community with quality fishermen.
Alas - life happens and people get disillusioned and disappointed.
No one said it was going to be a bowl of blue berries -

Im looking forward to rigging up some eels I've been keeping alive for a while now. Waiting on the Dacron and floss. Happy fishing up there - Im so jealous. I hope to try to get out to fish for some resident holdovers soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Official Member

[comments deleted by author]

Last edited by newt; 07-16-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: wasted bytes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
"Anchors SHOULD be against the law for fishing for bass..'

Ah yes, excellent advice. Thank you for sharing and sorry you wasted so much time writing it. Happy non-anchoring to you.

I'm sorry but that is funny!!! It's the parked cars fault that you drove your motorcycle into it. haha
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
I am going to assume that this comment is directed at me:
Newt my post wasn't supposed to single anyone out but I did use part off your post to try and illustrate a point. Thats on me. It wasn't meant as a dig at anyones talent or experience. Certainly not yours. After reading it again, your right, how could I expect anything else other than for you to be defensive. Most of you guys are much better fishermen than I am. Expertise in a particular field doesn't make a person a better human being than another.
I built this site so I could learn as much as possible and I worked as hard as I could at getting better at it. Catching fish doesn't consume me, or define who I am.
My post was really about respect... or lack there-of. Roccus has been here from the very beginning and is a personal longtime friend.
The fact that he wants no part of the bullshit doesn't surprise me. He knows more about this game than all of us combined and shared it freely.

Heres part of a PM from a long time member that I admire greatly. He communicates what I clumsily tried to say much more eloquently than I did.
Quote:
Most important is that I’ve learned respect for the guys that obviously know more about a subject than I do. Those guys know who they are, and I’ve been invited into their homes and fished with some of them. Some don’t frequent the site anymore, but are still considered friends. Note that many of my posts don’t offer advise, since I don’t feel that I’ve yet earned the privilege to offer any. Respect is mutual. I respect the guys that have consistently helped me the last couple years. I don’t agree with everything they have said, but I don’t argue with them out of the respect I have for them. If I don’t agree, I shut up. Goes back to the old saying that if you don’t have anything good to say, then don’t say anything.

I was going to post this on Stripers247 and then thought that it would do more harm than good. To many people that don’t have respect for the true teachers of the sport. The ones that offer advise and don’t expect anything in return.

Keep up the good work Jim. Feel free to share this. You have a hell or a crew helping you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishah
I'm sorry but that is funny!!! It's the parked cars fault that you drove your motorcycle into it. haha
Fishah I dont know you and you are entitled to your opinion but I will say judging from your 5 previous posts that the guys here are more likely to pull your sorry ass off a sand bar than drive into you - believe me.
show some respect.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Official Member

Jim, I misunderstood. No harm no foul. It's all good. I haven't posted in a while so out of the loop. Didn't realize stuff was going on.

That is a well written PM you posted, but I isn't it good to have different perspectives on an open forum? So long as conversation is civil, how is it disrespectful to offer an opinion based on one's own experience even if it differs from that of a veteran? Otherwise this forum is simply an ask the expert service.

Anyways, no disrespect intended...to anyone.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Just as an FYI guys - Roccus has 11 over 50 - 1 over 60 and a dozen more above 48 pounds. Several hundred over 40 - probably 10 over 40 this season alone.

I wouldn't presume to tell him how to fish. Not in this lifetime anyway.
In case you think its all been by boat drifting or eeling he has caught a 58 from the surf on a teaser.
i havent been here a very long time but i can say that roccus has helped me alot and i have learned alot from him and this site. seems like a very nice guy who by the way knows fish, i have not seen any one person with more pics of big stripers then roccus. i have noticed he hasnt been posting as often lately, i can see how dealing with the "know it alls" can be fustrating so i dont blame him.....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Fishah I dont know you and you are entitled to your opinion but I will say judging from your 5 previous posts that the guys here are more likely to pull your sorry ass off a sand bar than drive into you - believe me.
show some respect.
I have read many posts on this board, most information has been very helpful, however I am one of those "googans" as well that fish the merrimack religously, anchored up, and find it odd that the moderators intent of this board is to help fellow fisherman. And then come back and "type" down to people that apparently get in their way while drifting because that is the only method of fishing that is respected, "gotta do it the hard way, the barta way". Roccus says "everyones an expert when the fishing is easy", I'm sorry but I don't have a big enough boat to venture anywhere further than the plum island jetty. So I guess shore fishing is not a respected method either. Respect is mutual, I get just as much frustrated when I'm anchored away from the channel and have people that decide to drift right into my boat (ie: the parked car, motorcycle analogy). Gaining respect does not come from telling and showing people how many/big fish you caught, and having others shine your ba!!$ all the time, StriperJim, as included in the PM you pasted, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything. Maybe that should go for the moderators as well?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Hey Newt, sure the place is about exchanging ideas and info but though you may not have intended it, it did sound like you were telling Joe how to fish...

Fishah, you may not be familiar with the mouth, so why don't you try parking your car on 128 and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Fishah, didn't read your response before i posted, sorry i said anything ....you are a tool
Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Its probably best to lock down this thread but most of you guys get it. Fishah - my advice is to keep reading and learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishah
StriperJim, as included in the PM you pasted, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything.
True is that statement fish but I didnt write it. I quoted it - Im not that nice a guy really.
This game is not easy by any stretch of the imagination but putting in 2 cents thats ridiculous will get you a short reply like the one you got.
Not meant to be nasty, just what I thought was an appropriate retaliatory strike. Keep fishing hard. We arent here to judge or belittle anybody.
You'll see what we mean when your around a little while.
Its all good.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
i havent been here a very long time but i can say that roccus has helped me alot and i have learned alot from him and this site. seems like a very nice guy who by the way knows fish, i have not seen any one person with more pics of big stripers then roccus. i have noticed he hasnt been posting as often lately, i can see how dealing with the "know it alls" can be fustrating so i dont blame him.....

When Roccus posts, I read it very carefully and several times, often a lot of info can be taken from them , theres a lot to be said for this guy. I have read his posts for a long time and on old other sites. I also fish the mouth and the river often, I dont post much but absorb as much info as I can. He knows his stuff, U can fish how u want, it is what it is, but as far as advice goes, u are foolish not to listen. He has a proven record and truly enjoys fishing more than anyone I know. Good luck and tightlines

Go REDSOX!!!!
Closed Thread