Popper with teaser?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Default Popper with teaser??

Not sure if this has been covered yet or not but I figured I'd post for some advice.

I was recently told that using a teaser along with a popper/lure is irresistible to stripers. Only issue is I have no idea on what to use or how to fig it up. Can someone shed some light on this topic?

I typically use a spinning rod with a barrel swivel leader and double lock swivel to a popper or even a shad.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Popper with teaser??

Yes and no

If you work the popper quickly then the teaser is worthless

If you work the popper slowly with long pauses between pops letting the teaser dangle loosely in the water it can be, on occasion, iresistable.

If you swim the popper (Superstrikes come to mind as a great swimming popper) then the teaser will work as well as it does with a regular swimming plug
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Would the same apply to a shad? Or is that not something that is typically done?

Sorry if these are newbie questions.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 AM

The reason a teaser doesn't work well with a popper or pencil popper worked quickly is because it's not even in the water - the rod tip action will have it bouncing in the air side to side.

The teaser will work fine with anything that swims.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Last question I swear! I love using swimmers. I want to try a teaser but haven't a clue on what I need to make one? Any suggs?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM

There are a lot of ways to do it

The simplest way, and the best way to get started, is to tie a small swivel (I like Spro 90#) to one end of a 5' piece of leader material with a palomar knot leaving a tag end of about 6".
I use anywhere between 20# and 50# leader depending on the size of the fish and whether or not there are bluefish around.

Using palomar knots, tie the snap of your choice, I use modified duolocks (do a search) to the plug end of the leader and another (here I prefer Breakaway clips) to the teaser end of the tag line.

You want the length between the teaser and the plug to be at least a little longer then the fish you're attempting to catch - if the fish goes for the teaser and the plug bumps him in the tail he's outa there.

Other ways include inline dropper loops, second lines tied to the swivel eye, 3 way swivels (which I don't recommend), and probably others that I'm not aware of.

I use the inline dropper method with a loop to loop connection for the teasers - but this means all my teasers have to be pretied with short double looped lines, a lot more work at home but less weight on the teaser then a snap.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Yes and no

If you work the popper quickly then the teaser is worthless

If you work the popper slowly with long pauses between pops letting the teaser dangle loosely in the water it can be, on occasion, iresistable.

If you swim the popper (Superstrikes come to mind as a great swimming popper) then the teaser will work as well as it does with a regular swimming plug

Agree
Old 03-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks so much for the great advice. I will try it out this spring. Now all I have to do if find some teasers. I've seen what I think are teasers on Fluke Rigs. I was going to buy a package and just re tie the line. Any idea where I can find them online?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Veteran Elite

I always wanted to try a teaser. do they get tangled on the cast with the palomar knot tag end method?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM

More so then with the dropper loop method.
Not so much with mono, more with braid
Heavier leader tangles less then lighter.

As for teasers - make your own, of all the tacklecraft things you can make yourself teasers are by far the easiest.

A small cheap bench vise like you get at Home Depot or a pair of Visegrip pliers held in a bigger vise, some hooks, a few cheap bucktails in various colors (ebay is a good place to get cheep bucktail), some rod wrapping thread (I use size A in red), a cheap a bobbin holder to hold the thread, and some clear nail polish to coat the wraps so they don't come apart is enough to get you going.
For $20 you can make all the teasers you'll need for a season.

The best teaser I've ever owned was straight white bucktail on a 3/0 hook that a red rubber worm had sat on leaving a reddish vertical stripe. Embarrassingly ugly and cheesy but caught the chit out of the fish.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Veteran Elite

I am using 30#braid with a 5' 25# fluro leader tied to a barrel swivel. I will give it a try pre season so I dont googan up the place when people are around. as for the tying I already tie all my own bucktails for my lures, so a teaser is pretty much the same thing? or do I need a fly like a clouser?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
The best teaser I've ever owned was straight white bucktail on a 3/0 hook that a red rubber worm had sat on leaving a reddish vertical stripe. Embarrassingly ugly and cheesy but caught the chit out of the fish.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM

I have been using popper/teasers for almost four decades. They work for many types of fish and can vary in structure of both popper and teaser.

I've caught Stripers on them but I started using them in the late sixties for Bonito, Barracuda and Big Needlefish on the SoCal Coast. I used to make my own poppers out of a six inch length of hardwood dowell; drilled through for a wire loop each end and a mouth cut on the front end. At first teasers were streamers/flies (as described earlier) then we went to small jig-flies. Leaders were usualy between 2 & 3 feet. After the Seventies started and rubber/plastic got more lifelike, we used small jigs with curl-tailed worms.....and still do today.

I still sometimes make my poppers but a big, two to six ounce commercial popper works fine. I always take the hooks off the commercial poppers and use a coastlock snap on the main line to the front eye and the teaser leader to the rear eye. If you leave the hooks on, half your casts will hook snag the leader.

There are not a lot of variables to my retrieve. It has been said not to retrieve fast as the fly/streamer will plane up. That is true until you start using 1/8 - 3/8 oz. jigs on the leader. My standard retrieve is a quick POP-POP-POP then a pause, then repeat. When you pop it quick, the popper makes its splash and the teaser rides up to the surface. At the pause, the teaser jig flutters down(rubber tail flipping) and sinks toward and beneath the popper. Another series of pops and it rides up again, flipping toward the surface.

This retrieve is especially good for schooling fish, Stripers or whatever. Last Fall I fished the South Coos jetty from a boat on the incoming. We caught Black Rockfish till we were tired. Three guys casting popper/teasers for two + hours and at no time was not someone hooked up. We released them all; little too oily for my taste. This scenario has repeated for me a hundred times, over the years with different species from Loreto, Baja Mexico to Central Oregon. Will it also catch Stripers????....Oh yeah!

Bud
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
LunkerSpunker

Sudsy, I just mastered the dropper loop and got some flies....how long do you usually make the loop? also, do you leave it a loop or cut it and tie one end to the fly?
If you could provide a pic of the loop to loop method you mentioned it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I only use teasers with swimmers. But that is just how I do it.