First surf rod, questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Striper Hunter

Default First surf rod, questions

I’ve built some fresh water graphite spinning rods that have worked great for almost 10 years now … but this will be my first saltwater surf rod.
The blank is 10’ 2 pc medium rating, and I’ll be using cork tape, small EVA grips, and a basic graphite reel seat.
I will be getting the shipment tomorrow, and I probably should have asked some of these questions earlier, but …

What are the differences in the thread sizes A, B, C, D, etc? Which one would be best for this type of salt water rod?
Butt wrap: anybody have a “go-by” or step by step photos for making a decent butt wrap? Do you use weaved thread for the thicker portions or do you just keep wrapping the regular thread?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 AM

Default Re: First surf rod, questions

The thread diameter is designated in A B C D and E. A Being the smallest on up to E. You will also find two main types of thread available. Nylon and NCP. In appearance Nylon thread retains the look of individual threads winding around the blank. Nylon also has more of a sheen when finished. NCP thread looses its winding look when finish is applied. It gets a colored electrical tape look. Nylon thread is 15% stronger, Ncp is 20% bulkier with lots of air pockets. Color Preserver should br used on Nylon to retain color and prevent the guide feet from showing through. Color preserver can be used on NCP to fill the air pockets that cause bubbles in your finish. With the exception of heavy offshore rods, I like size A for an underwrap and size D for the guide wraps.

Do you have any experience with guide placement?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the helpful information Wickford Rodworks! I have size D nylon in the colors I want, but it looks like I will need to pick up some size A and take your advice.

I used a chart for placing guides when I made my freshwater rods, so I guess my answer would be.. no, I don't have experience with guide placement.

Gunny suggested I get in touch with you, and I also checked out your website and I'm thinking I need to stop by and check out your shop to pick up a few supplies before I start the rod.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 02:13 PM
First Mate

I second what the Gunny said... Bob is a first rate guy and anyone from this site thinking of undertaking rod building should get to know him well... Plus I think he might still have some plugs from one of our great plug builders on the racks, right 4290

Bryan
Old 04-19-2008, 02:28 AM

I'd be happy to help you with design and supplies. Call the store for times before stopping in. We are not on summer hours until next month.