New Member - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Default New Member

Hi Everyone, I recently moved out east to Saint John, New Brunswick. I have never caught a bass fish before, let alone a striper. I am used to fishing for northern pike and walleye in western Canada. Have already started reading posts, but any advice on where and how to catch stripers in New Brunswick will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Re: New Member

Hi. I don't know anything about where you could get any stripers in your area as I have never been there but I did want to welcome you to the board!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Official Member

Hey stereo, what's up, welcome. I've been to Quebec, la verende reserve, big pike there up to 17+lbs. Got any pike pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

nice to have you nice to have you with us with us.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM

Hello everyone! Happy to have found this site. I am an old curmudgeon, fishing for more than 70 years. Lived in NJ and cartopped out of Monmouth Beach for years. Born and raised in Jersey City and fished the Statue of Liberty, Robbins reef out of a rowboat when I was 10. When the battleship NJ was moored at the Bayonne Naval Base we used to sneak in at night and tie up to a ring near the bow. Casted into a light that shined on the water. Small bass but zillions of them.Fished Barnegat Bay, drifted worms under than Highlands bridge, Casted out of a boat in the upper Navisink, trolled the Sandy Hook rip alongside the "First Timer" (Capt. Otto Reut, anyone remember him?) and casted off the beaches. Enjoyed the golden years of, bonito, false albacore and especially school bluefin tuna fishing at the 17 Fathoms and Buffer Buoy during the fabulus 60s. Vacationed in Cape Cod and moved there when I retired. Have been living in Harwich since 1992. Bass fished all the local waters. Best stiper fishing I ever had was on the beach below Chatham Light about 7-8 years ago when the channel ran close to the beach. Incredible night fishing! Some nights, during the golden hour, we caught keepers on almost every cast on rigged eels. It has been my experience that a rigged eel, properly rigged and worked, will outfish live eels.Rigged eels are the only form of bait that I use. Been using a Penn International 965 with 30 lb braid and a Shimano 400 for years (until someone stole it). Just bought a Penn 525 Mag, installed the Hatteras Jack bearings and a few extra magnets but have not tried it yet.. Have to figure out how to avoid slicing my left thumb when guiding the line back and forth during the retreive. I guess the thumb could be taped. Anyone have a solution?
The stripers are definately back here on the Cape but not in the numbers and sizes that they were when I fished CC and Pleasant Bay during the sixties.
Thats about it, folks.
Schnellwilli
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

welcome stereo. some will chime in in your area, post some more.'
schnelly, welcome, saw a weathered leather patch on a squidder that was magged. neet invention i must add. it was attached to the reel above the spool and sorta just was leaned on when it was needed to be slowed down. i never really went out of my way to put one on mine. the 525 with the extra mags may drive you nuts. i took mine out. also the braid thing on that reel gave me the willies willie! i use 17# ande and have caught cownosed rays to 80# with it so i see no reason to bump up the volume on that reel. however it does have a flaw as in the spool should not be overfilled as that just was my experience. i think with the braid and extra mags it may suit you though. let me know when you decide to test it. it is fast.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Bowanna

Welcome stereo and schnellwilli.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Went to the beach this AM and tried my new 525 for the first time. Added
the 4 magnets but did not change the bearings to ceramic yet. Used a Gibbs Pencil popper and was getting casts further than I could with my Shimano 400. Had to move the slide to "fast". Now I am wondering if I should take out the extra magnets since I did not get any backlashes.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Since my last post I was talking to a seasoned canal fisherman who has been using the 525 mag for years with no mods Prior to the 525 he fished with a Newel. Fished many nights with him and never saw him get a backlash. Therefore I assume he knows what he is doing with a conventional reel. The guy surprised me by saying that he does not use his thumb to control spool speed on the 525 and relies completely on the magnets. Casting a conventional with my thumb off the spool seems rather scary although I do it regularly with my Penn International 965.
Advice on the above would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Schnellwilli