Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fly Line Question

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Newbie question here. I just moved to Rhode Island from Buffalo, NY and want to give this salt water thing a shot. I recently purchased a Beulah 11 foot switch rod (8-9 weight) that I plan on pairing with my Abl Super 8 fly reel.

My Question is whether I should get a intermediate or full sink line. I plan on fishing mostly from shore and plan on purchasing the Rio Outbound lines, but have been told to get each line by 2 different fly guys. Your thoughts?

Also, the grain weight for the Beulah rod requires me to get the 11 weight line. Anyone fishing the Abel Super 8? I am wondering if I am going to have to buy the standard arbor spool in order to fit enough backing.

Any input is greatly appreciated. This salty stuff is a whole lot different then steelheading in NY in Jan and Feb. LOL.

Thanks
Chris

#2 ·
that standard arbor will fit a 10w line w 200+ yds of backing (which i don't know if that's rated for dacron or micron. but bear in mind the outbound 11's running line is gonna be fine till ya get the heavy head wound on. that line is big. i would get the large arbor spool. you will be glad ya did. if ya don't wanna invest in the outbound cause it may not fit that standard spool, you can just buy some running line and buy a shooting head. or set of heads like the rio versi tip setup. the outbound floating line imo is the best bet now as the topwater action will pick up and sinking lines in and around rocks and unfamiliar bottom can destroy your line fast. if you can afford both then by all means get the int and float. a heavy grain sinker is great for monomoy/the cape/maine/etc. and lots of guys swear by the sinking lines but only 2 40#+ bass to date "on record" have been caught on sinking lines off the beach. with that 11w outbound on your switch rod it may take some getting used to. on my rod i had to shorten up the head just a bit to tweak it to my liking. you will like the outbound once you've tried casting with it. i have all the outbound lines and found the floating casts easiest of course but with heavy bunker fly's you just can't go wrong.

#6 ·
The worst part of the fly fishing learning curve is matching the gear, especially the line to the rod.
I've pissed away a ton of money on lines that didn't do what I thought they would.

Sure would be easier if rods were described with a preferred range of grain weights, and lines were listed in precise grains rather then in the hooDoo voodoo "9 weight" (but works best with an 11 weight line) method we have to put up with now.

#7 ·
May I suggest Ken Abram's site for a study of fishing the striper w/ fly.
http://www.google.com/search?source...UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRE_enUS321US321&q=striper+moon
Lots of good info there. I get lost in searching back post for hours sometimes.
I kind of agree with Zim, But would add an fast sink tip to the floater.
However, the suggestion on line can depend on several things. Like what's in your flybox.
Do you tie?
:welcomeaboard:

#9 ·
I do tie...... as long as egg patterns and nymphs work for stripers, LOL. I have been researching different patterns and such, so I have some tying in my future to get ready for the fall. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Chris

May I will I suggest Ken Abram's site for a study of fishing the striper w/ fly.
http://www.google.com/search?source...UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRE_enUS321US321&q=striper+moon
Lots of good info there. I get lost in searching back post for hours sometimes.
I kind of agree with Zim, But would add an fast sink tip to the floater.
However, the suggestion on line can depend on several things. Like what's in your flybox.
Do you tie?
:welcomeaboard:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.