Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Shore fishing report

19K views 56 replies 17 participants last post by  Cruisinfanatic 
#1 ·
I've noticed there's a lot of fish caught from boats on this site. Some one gave me the idea to make a shore fishing thread for the shore fisherman out there that prefer to fish from shore or don't have access to a boat, like myself. Here's mine from today. More info about this catch is on the striper report.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Fished my shore spot in saugerties tonight from 5:30 to 8:30. Bait was easy then completely turned of about an hour in. I landed one 27" and lost one other one. My buddy had one that got off right at shore too. (We forgot our net) they were real finicky bites, almost like catfish. Everything came on chunk nothing touched live. Real nice out there without the wind, I'm hoping it stays like that for the morning so I can get out in the yak.

#6 ·
Fished the shore today from 3-10p at my spot near Albany and I got my ass handed to me. Getting followers today was a bit more difficult than yesterday but managed to get my two lines in the water. Had four good runs on live and one on head chunk. Each time I grabbed my pole the run just stopped. Pretty frustrating to say the least. After high tide (5:07p) not a single bite. Tomorrow is a new day and I hope everyone had better luck than me today!

P.S. Shoot me a PM if you have any advice for hooking up during a run. I use one bait runner reel and one standard reel. I know there's a thread on here for that exact topic so I will look for that as well.

#14 ·
lol nice
i was down there tonight 5:15-930 and didnt catch any on heads ...no luck on herring rigs there either(i had dead ones )...the water way started pumping around 8 ( which called for some 4oz weight) .....and yeah frank took that picture lol he is a cool guy.... did he tell you about the guys in the boat lol ? ...but any ways i had a blast. i am however thinking about trying to find a spot closer to albany cause traffic is tough for me after work ......also there was fewer boats and ppl on shore, compared to recent nights, just wondering if im missing something..... thanx again to you and fish trap both u guys were a huge help

#21 ·
just got back from the weekend ,stayed on the river as usual at Striper Camp, fished all tides and through the night, and the night seemed to be the best for any striper action I'm up 4 now with 26 in. being my best, lost 2 on shore.
Herring are nearly impossible for me to catch on rigs and so much hassle.I'm scapping all I need in minutes for the day, small chunks are keeping me busy,and I'm noticing a lot of runs and screamers on my Baitrunner are very large cats and bullheads. Keeping my bait fresh and switching to 7/0 hooks kept me from wondering if I missed a striper, I wasn't, and moved accordingly.
The Dam was loaded with fisherman and woman, big jigs in 2-3oz, white was the ticket and night was the bite or I should say 4 AM till dawn.
Heard of a 35 in. caught from shore at Corning Preserve (congrats).
I watch the boats ALOT and saw a good amount of fish being caught from the Dam to the Preserve in all areas from shallow and near shore to the mid river channels.
I talk to ALOT of people along the way, at least 10-15 , and a lot said the same thing, its tough this year so far for shore guys, and I said "It aint over yet" just honing my skills.
aggressive.gif

#23 ·
Got 3 more yesterday from shore and missed 2 other ones. I felt bad because my buddy didn't get anything except one run at the end of the day. He always ends up catching the bigger fish tho so I'm sure I'll be the jealous one next time out lol. I caught everything on live bait again, I had a pole with fresh chunk out all day and only got one catfish on it. Bait was a little challenging early morning but by noon they were basically beaching themselves on shore. I'm shot from this weekend so I'm taking today and tomorrow off. Here are some pics from yesterday.

Attachments

#28 ·
Funny you should ask that question today, I just baitfished an area tonight with The Profishional and his girl friend, it was an area I have casted lures at and nothing else kinda "stick and jab" spot then move. We had a terrible time scaping Herring, got a few and started fishing , I was casting chunk 50 yrds. out and realized it was very shallow, I caught two cats. I knew right away the big channel was on the other side and probably the Herring and Stripers.
I give up quick when I start catching a lot of cats and move to areas I know have drop offs and access to channel fishing and deeper water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.