Not open for further replies.

Herring report

44K views 164 replies 65 participants last post by  anglethedangle 
#1 ·
Report herring sightings here

#6 ·
River Basin report.

IT'S STARTING
Just a scant few days ago we had a report of a herring being taken from the river in Coxsackie. Admittedly - we looked at that with a certain amount of skepticism. After all, just that morning we had taken the river's temperature at the Catskill launch ramp and found it to be at a solid 35 degrees. No herring in its right mind would venture all the way up the Hudson to our vicinity when the water was only 35 degrees - right? Wrong!
Now, all of a sudden we're inundated with reports, all the way from Coxsackie to Kingston, of herring being scapped from the river. Most certainly not in any great quantities as of yet but… THE HERRING HAVE ARRIVED! In actuality, the herring appear to be more or less on schedule, having arrived in the beginning of March even though we really didn't expect to see any of them until next week. Goes to show that you can't always predict what Mother Nature is up to.
Now that the herring have started to arrive you can be sure that the stripers aren't far behind, usually no more than a week or so dependent on the water temperature. Since herring are the baits of choice for the majority of striper fishermen, obtaining a supply of these baits has always been a concern.

read2.gif :mental: :trink08: :icon_thumright: cheer.gif

#15 ·
I agree, I fish the Kingston area and I've been out with the stoolie a few times, I thought I caught a glimpse of a follower but think my eyes were playing tricks on me. There may be a few scouts around but they are not here in numbers yet as of today. I experimented with the sabiki from shore last year and had some luck using a bobber to float the rig and use the current to "jig" for me.. it worked but the rocks and debris are troublesome. I have had more luck with my stoolie and scap net . I prefer the black and pearl color scheme

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
little bay where i find easy to scap just before low tide saw two fish swimming ... def to big to be a sunny def looked like a herring threw a stoolie no follower but water was dropping fast. To me could have been a herring exiting the warmer shallower water.
Spot burn. There's lurkers on this board that will show up there possibly. Just giving u a heads up so u dont fish shoulder to shoulder. Try to edit to minimize damage

**FIXED**

#19 ·
I wouldnt scap in the pool its only a foot deep logic says the herring are coming from the river not the pool. And i dont believe i said i scap in the little bay i said the fish came out of it. But thank you for your concerns.

And for spot burning there is like 30 tressels from catskill to kingston alone not to worried

#21 ·
Either way its not illegal to throw a stoolie, just to net em. Ill certainly be scouting headwaters with a stoolie until I know it worth jiggin in the creeks. Gonna make a couple trips before the weekend just to see if I spot any. Problly on the nicer days when I can use the sun and warming temps to my advantage

#31 ·
YOU CAN USE A NET!!!!!
As long as it falls with-in these guide lines.

Taking of anadromous river herring with personal use nets
1- No person shall take anadromous river herring with a net within Hudson River Tributaries and Embayments.
2- No person shall take anadromous river herring from the Hudson River:

• with more than one net when taking with a scap or dip net;
  • with a dip net exceeding 14 inches in diameter if it is round form or exceeding 13 inches by 13 inches if it is square form;
  • with a scap, or lift, net exceeding 16 square feet;
  • with a seine net exceeding 36 square feet; or
  • with a cast net exceeding 10 feet in diameter.:flyfish:

#27 ·
It's no lie. They're here in Greene County. I saw them with my own eyes. You guys sit home shaking your heads ...I'll be wetting my lines on my free time.:drive:

#28 ·
Ahhhhhh Yes !!
You were one of the locals i was waiting to see a post from :icon_thelmutsalute:

Hope to see some pics of linesiders by end of weekend.

:icon_thumright: - Thanks for info Schub.

BB

#34 ·
Threw a couple different stoolies south of Saugerties today, also drowned a worm. No bass, and I couldn't see any herring although visibility was low. I tried casting along the shore and out while throwing the stoolie. Does anybody have any tips for a newb when it comes to luring herring to your net? It could be possible that they just weren't in my area but I know I'm not so skilled...yet.

#35 ·
Were you dip netting or scap netting? Scap nets are so much better specially when herring are tough to get. Most of my early herring I catch I don't usually see following. Between them hangin farther back and deeper, and the water just not being as clear I get most blind swiping. Instead of doin loops waitin to see one. I cast out repeatedly and run the stoolie straight to the net and do a pull everytime. You'd be amazed how many herring you'll catch that you never knew were there. Often ill even run the stoolie almost through the net when its tough and end up catching herring that were hangin a few feet back. White or chartruese stoolie is best in these water conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.