Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herring report

44K views 164 replies 65 participants last post by  anglethedangle 
#1 ·
Report herring sightings here

#107 ·
I agree, scapped in saugerties for 45 min fri after work and nothing, then went to headwaters of esopus creek to jig and not a nibble. Scapped Saturday for an hour or so and again nothing. All the local reprts from people in the area were tthey got bait pretty descent until about Thursday. Guys have been jiggin em in the creek since Saturday but it was still slow. Pretty sure the first main push of bait snuck by earlier in the week but todays weather followed by mon n tues should bring fish in for sure. Guys are catchin some stripers here and a couple have done well but nothin over 30" yet

#108 ·
"Hitting" is a stretch ..... being snagged is a better description. At least from what i have seen it seems like the majority, if not all, of the ones i have seen caught were foul hooked.

It's funny .... i used to see ENCON there all the time watching the netters prior to to the changes in the law but now you never see them.

I'm not busting chops or lecturing but i have always had the understanding that foul hooked fish can't be kept. It sure seems like DEC could hand out tickets left and right for snagging herring in the creek?

#105 ·
It is extremely ignorant for boats to anchor with 40' of rope out 15 feet from shore while people are lined up fishing from shore in troy..you sit there and jig for herring for 4 hours and not catch one... while our buckets are full of bait and you sit in the way getting snagged losing one rig after another.Get a life.. Find a new spot... and hopefully some tips on how to catch bait

#110 ·
Just before that it says no snatching except for a few exceptions and refers you to another page for the definition which says

Fish must be taken during their respective open season by angling or ice fishing in New York State waters in accordance with New York State Fishing Regulations. Angling does not include any method by which the fish are foul hooked. Fish showing signs of foul hooking, gill nets, tampering or foreign objects will be disqualified.

So ... it's clear as Hudson River Mud :eek: ... but it sure seems like foul hooked fish are not legal to keep.

Again ... i am not trying to bust chops or be an amateur DEC guy .... just trying to educate myself.

#111 ·
Swung by the pkill last night and watched the guys fishing for a while. One guy had a bag full of herring. He would cast wait a few secs then pull hard and fast,then wait a few seconds and pull hard and fast again. The guys just jigging and respecting the law had empty bags. Its sad to see. But it is proof they are all the way up here in troy just need the water towarm up a bit.

#112 ·
Swung by the pkill last night and watched the guys fishing for a while. One guy had a bag full of herring. He would cast wait a few secs then pull hard and fast,then wait a few seconds and pull hard and fast again. The guys just jigging and respecting the law had empty bags. Its sad to see. But it is proof they are all the way up here in troy just need the water towarm up a bit.
Sounds like they think they were at the salmon river from years ago. Snaggers go home.

#119 ·
Stoolied the HH for a little while around noon to no avail--saw nothing. Met Grampy06--he and his buddy confirmed alewives at the pkill, limiting out 3 days in a row with sabikis.

Personally, I think I'll give it another week...unless maybe I head south?
I was down today, threw the stoolie for a while in a few different spots and not a single follower. splashed the boat anyway knowing I wasn't going to catch fish. But lunch at yanni's is always good. pulled a bunch of logs out of the boat launch too. Man there was a big sucker. And wonder why they haven't set out the big fishing dock yet?

#122 ·
"Just before that it says no snatching"

Definition of snatching on page 60 says: 'means taking fish not attracted by bait or artificial lure." Of course I can't be certain but I think its likely that a lot of foul hooked herring struck at the lure before becoming foul hooked. Plus, if you can net them (only in the main river now of course) is there really a difference?

Herring are not exactly a sport fish, although they are fun to catch (not as much fun as a shad). So as long as I stick to my 10 a day and don't net in the creeks, what difference does it make whether I catch them in the mouth, foul hook them, or net them?

#123 ·
"Just before that it says no snatching"

Definition of snatching on page 60 says: 'means taking fish not attracted by bait or artificial lure." Of course I can't be certain but I think its likely that a lot of foul hooked herring struck at the lure before becoming foul hooked. Plus, if you can net them (only in the main river now of course) is there really a difference?

Herring are not exactly a sport fish, although they are fun to catch (not as much fun as a shad). So as long as I stick to my 10 a day and don't net in the creeks, what difference does it make whether I catch them in the mouth, foul hook them, or net them?
Read up a couple of posts about people getting tickets for snagging. Again i am not looking to argue with anyone about legality .... i just want to make sure i don't end up with a ticket!

#129 ·
Fished Greene County for a few hours last night. Herring were everywhere. Was catching 1-4 every cast the whole time I was there. No runs.

#132 ·
Troy streams herring completely depleted ..no luck in the river either..people are chunking dead herring they find on the ground..extremely overfished.. I'd say ten thousand pulled out in the past week in one spot in one creek..extremely overfished.. it'd also sad to find garbage bags full of dead spoiled herring on the ground..in 10 hours 3 herring 3 dudes its sad to say...I hope we get blueback schools soon

#135 ·
Fished south of Albany today from morning til afternoon, marked many fish in the deep (30 to 40') channel. Herring finally turned on in the warmth, took what I needed, could have got my limit. I think we are good to go from here on out, just gotta find them first. Used a big hookless spoon instead of a weight.

#137 ·
We had no problem jigging them up in the main river by Selkirk, but they were definitely in schools. We would go a while not catching any and then all of a sudden catch 4 or 5 in 2 minutes... Not much easier in the streams either, the only people having great success were the guys with nets on the shore - watched a guy at the boat launch catch about 6 in 5 minutes while we were launching.

I just don't think they're here in the big numbers yet - soon enough though. The water is warming up every day. Yesterday it got up to 51 and with the schools of bait fish will come the big cows.

#139 ·
had a hell of a time geting bait. stoolie at hh. saw quite a few missed em all with the net. god i suck. was hit and miss though.. they were there, and then they were gone. But the worst part was the 13 year old kid nailing em while i kept missing. lmao!! did manage a few, and some guys hooked me up with enough to go out fishing. Put 5 in the boat, biggest a 36". Didn't fish too hard, never do really.. Fish with dad and the gf, well.. it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.