Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herring report

44K views 164 replies 65 participants last post by  anglethedangle 
#1 ·
Report herring sightings here

#38 ·
Does anybody have better luck with Chartruese stoolie? I only have had luck with pearl or silver/black. I was told the Chartruese works better in murky water.....When the herring are here it isn't to hard to stoolie them. You'll be amazed at how many are actually out there!!

#42 ·
I like to use chartruese sabiki rig colors... I try and have fun with it... Take an ultralight spinning rod, put a good amount of weight at the end of the sabiki, and I cast it. Crank it in kinda like you would a popper or even a spinner bait. The casting keeps it fun, you can cover a lot of water, and you can catch them 2 or 3 at a time and have a nice battle cranking them in!

#51 ·
river basin report:
HUDSON RIVER STRIPER RUN REPORT, SATURDAY, APRIL 12, 2014, 1:30 P.M.
We have just received reports of the first large wave of herring having moved up into our mid-Hudson area of the river. The anglers located in the Gerrmantown / Cheviot section of the river reported lots of these fish being stoolied and netted early this afternoon in their area. This action should continue to move upriver from now on. No reports of stripers along with these baitfish as of yet but you can bet that they are right behind this pack. TOM G
:icon_thumright:​

#54 ·
I was down this morning from 7-8:30 throwing a stoolie and lifting every time cause the water clarity isn't great and they have a tendency not to follow to close this time of year. Not a single herring. One of my buddies went down 1 hour after we left and tried for a while also got nothing. If they were there they are not now.

#59 ·
Nothing in Albany/Troy area yesterday afternoon or at least nothing that would hit the sabiki rig or follow the stoolie. Temp was 42.5 in river.

This afternoon I tried the Catskill Creek with no luck, talked to two other guys in the creek with nothing either. Temp was 48.5 in creek and 44.5 in river.

Both places water was very dirty and only about 6" of vis. Soon...

#61 ·
Nothing in Albany/Troy area yesterday afternoon or at least nothing that would hit the sabiki rig or follow the stoolie. Temp was 42.5 in river.

This afternoon I tried the Catskill Creek with no luck, talked to two other guys in the creek with nothing either. Temp was 48.5 in creek and 44.5 in river.

Both places water was very dirty and only about 6" of vis. Soon...
I saw waldos in the creek the other day. I can't imagine getting any herring up north on a sabiki ... i've never had much luck catching them until the water hits high 40's. I can drift through monstrous schools but they wont hit.

And i have never had any luck with the sabiki i fast, dirty water.

Last year i watched guys foul hook them in the creek from the bridge and take and use them.

With the weather coming tomorrow it's gonna be at least another week up here :frustrated:

#65 ·
I have said this over and over and over.

Temp is not the key to the herring arrival .... as this year shows since they are here and the water is low to mid 40's.

It does play a monster role in whether the herring will hit the sabikis and the activity / aggressiveness of the stripers.

This year is unfolding just like an average year ..... the first large wave of herring hits downriver a little before 4/15 and then we see them up in Troy shortly after. There are always a few stripers with that first wave but it all ramps up and the bulk of the fish and bait arrive a week or two later .... and typically by then the water has warmed up and the real fun begins. Typically the best fishing is the week before and the week after Mother's day.

But .... an inch of rain ALWAYS screws up Troy and Albany for a week or so with dirty high water. There have been years we had one big storm after another and there wasn't much opportunity to fish.

I agree 100 percent with the idea that things should heat up around the date of the Ale House tournament .... certainly not this weekend if the rain comes as forecasted.

#67 ·
Anyone that is new to this is using the last couple of years as a reference for dates etc and they were abnormal.

Don't rush it .... it is friggin cold at 6 AM now .... by early may it will be much warmer and more enjoyable!

The one thing that is a definite is that they will be up here to do their thing and we will have a couple of weeks to catch em :mental:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.