Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Cape Cod report...

Tags
cad cape report
8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
Looks like the "Mass. Bass" category has been quiet for a while. Here goes...
Fished a few very non-descript (flat, shallow) beaches and some rivers/inlets this past weekend. Nothing major to report, but we got a few schoolies on Tsunami Sandeels and similar lures. Spook-type lures took a few also. A friend has been getting a few blues on poppers. We tried the CC Canal for a short time one afternoon with the tide cranking. My friend got one schoolie on a sandeel jig. Wished I could've stayed for slack tide but ran out of time. Every place seemed to have weed near shore, some areas more than others.

#2 ·
Hey all, coming to Hyannis end of July and would love some local knowledge regarding striped bass fishing in the area. A few quick questions:

1 - I see people referencing the cc canal, often begrudgingly - is a drive to the canal worth it? If so, which areas would be best to focus on?

2 - Recon with google earth shows a large "L" shaped jetty west of Hyannis Harbor, is this jetty safe to walk? Any tips on fishing this jetty?

3 - How is fishing off Dunbar point?

I regularly recon in off seasons, but I won't have time being that I'm only in town with wife and toddler for 3 days. If anyone is willing to offer some free advice, you knowledge is safe with me. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
What's up, Doc? The canal is definitely worth checking out. The thing about the canal is that it's somewhat unpredictable. It's a highway and either the fish are moving through or they aren't. Just one of those places where you have to put in the time to be there when the gettin' is good.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the other 2 places you mentioned.

#4 ·
Appreciate it. From the research I've been doing, looks like the canal is definitely gonna be my target. I picked up a few sand eel swim baits and I'm gonna order some soft crab baits and larger pencil poppers as well - try to target the entire water column. Found a fishing map online with 20 something spots listed on it, but from the look of it you can post up anywhere along the canal and toss in.

Question about live bait though - here in NY blood/sand worms and chunk herring are our bread and butter when it comes to shore fishing. I heard in MA you're not permitted to use herring. Any one ever have luck with worms or any other chunk/live bait in the canal? Is this even permitted?

#5 ·
True, you can't use herring here, but you can definitely use other chunk bait. Pogies (menhaden), mackerel, clam bellies, sand worms to name a few of the most popular ones.

That said, the current in the canal is too strong to effectively bottom fish with chunk bait except for about 15- 30 minutes when the tide changes, except in a few spots where there's a bit of an eddy. Really,, you'll be surprised at how strong the current is when the tide is moving.

Jigs/swimbaits or top water is where you'll want to focus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.