Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

9ft or 10ft Rod

Tags
10ft 9ft rod
17K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  fishitswuts4dinner 
#1 ·
I have been baitfishing from the surf for the past 2 yrs and have decided to make the move to plugging. I currently have a 10ft Ugly Stick that is far too stiff to throw plugs. I fish Montauk and several North shore beaches and would like opinions on what size and action rod to purchase. Can rods rated 2-6 throw plugs in the 1-2oz range effectively? It seems after searching this forum that most use a 9ft 1-4oz rod.

I just located this forum and find it a wealth of information. Keep up the good work and I hope to meet many of you this summer.

#2 ·
Welcome Brewman
Do you just drink or actually brew. I had brewed for a while :gob_icon_cheers:

I think you may find one of the most popular Surf sizes is 10'-well I quess but 9' works great and is a bit easier on a jetty. Everyone has there own preferance but trying to work say a Bomber or other light plug with a heavy rod rating can be tough. It can be done but not as effectively as with a lighter rating rod. For plugging how often do you think you will throw over say 4 oz. If not often then something in the 1-4, 2-4 or there abouts may suit you better. I recentlyy got a lamiglas xs 101 ms which is 2-4oz rating but I had no problems throwing 1 oz or so plugs. What happens is when casting it can be harder to load the rod to get maximum distance and also sometime tuff to get proper action on a plug.

Biggest question is what is your price range, this can help dertemine some rods that you may like. Only you can make that decision though

#3 ·
:welcomeaboard: I had the good fortune of being able to fish Montauk last fall. I used a 9' St Croix Legend rated 3/4 - 4. Threw all sorts of plugs and eels. I would suggest starting with a 9' or 11' that suits you and how you will fish. If you're going to be wading out to partially submerged rocks you may want to go with 11' and set the reel seat up a bit higher and use the rod like a walking/wading stick. If you have something rated 2-6 the rod may not load the 1oz weight and you'll have short casts and not much action on the plug and your sweet spot will be in the 4 oz range. My st croix the sweet spot is 2 1/2 oz for most plugs..sometimes 3 oz with a bucktail

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. As far as price is concerned, I'm looking at spending no more than $150 for the rod. At this stage of the game I don't see myself rockhopping until I become proficient with using artificials. Sounds like my best bet is a 10' rod that can handle plugs in the 1-4 range. Any suggestions? Looks as though most 10' rods are rated MH and for 2-4 or 2-6 lures.

#7 ·
Sounds like my best bet is a 10' rod that can handle plugs in the 1-4 range.
Yes.
Brewman - Recommending equipment to people is tricky especially when the equipment doesnt live up to the billing.

I bought this rod for my gf when I couldnt get a St. Croix Triumph (back ordered)
Cheaper and light - and it did just fine. Its hard to get hurt if spending less than $100 - Penn surf power stick.
http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-power-stick-surf-rods.html

There are dozens of different threads on the cheaper rods but the Penn barely gets mentioned.

#8 ·
Thanks for the recommendation SJ. Have you thrown plugs with the Penn and what is the optimal weight plug the Penn throws Are these the same "Powersticks" sold by Bass Pro Shops? How does this rod compare to the St. Croix Triumph or the Tsunami Trophy 10' rods?

From the specs, it seems as though the Tsunami is a bit stiffer than the other rods. I like the price of the Penn.

#9 ·
I threw only 2 ounce bucktails with it.
I use the lamis mostly.
I was trying to pick a fish for my girl and hand her the rod. It is a good little rod. I'm not saying its great but its definately a good backup - I liked it better than the Tsunami trophy . Its very light, has a better backbone and has better action.
I would put it right there with the Tica Dolphin rod.
I'll let you know for sure after I fish with it some more. It feels pretty good.
Its rated 1 to 5.
And no The 'powerstick' sold by bass pro is by Offshore angler who also makes the Oceanmaster.

#10 ·
A very nice Rod in your budget ( imay have mentioned above) is a Star Stella Lite Surf. It is a 2 piec but if you go w/ the 9 or 11' the joint is down by handleand not in the middle like the 10'. When the joint is in the middle it can effect the action of cetain rods. I have thrown the Stars 9', 10' and 11' and can say they are all worth the money spent. I don't own one yet but one is in my near future. The Stellar is starting to become a much more popular rod now that folks out there have been using them. I'm only mentioning it as what I like you may not.
One piece rods are great but a paint to travel with. I prefer a 1 piece but next 2 rods will be 2 piece-a St. Croix Mojo and a Star Stellar Lite Surf.

http://www.tackledirect.com/star-stellar-lite-surf-rods.html

Another nice point about the Star is a lifetime Warranty. They are a little harder to find if you want to try one. Check around and see if anyone in your area carries them. The best place would have been at one of the many Expos that were just around. There may be some more but not sure

#11 ·
The shops I have visited have in stock the St. Croix triumph, Lamiglas Surf King, Tsunami Airwave and Trophy. I think one shop may have had the Powerstick. I want to buy the rod this weekend. Has anyone tried the SC Triumph or the Airwave?

I could buy online but prefer not to. Anyone try the Oceanmaster Powerstick (Bass Pro Shops)? It has the same exact specs as the Penn Powerstick.

#14 ·
The shops I have visited have in stock the St. Croix triumph, Lamiglas Surf King, Tsunami Airwave and Trophy. I think one shop may have had the Powerstick. I want to buy the rod this weekend. Has anyone tried the SC Triumph or the Airwave?

I could buy online but prefer not to. Anyone try the Oceanmaster Powerstick (Bass Pro Shops)? It has the same exact specs as the Penn Powerstick.
I was just looking at the ocean master at bass pros this past weekend and it seems that the rod is a bit hefty somewhat like ugly sticks. So I pick up a 10ft lami surf king instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.