Surfcasting Mistakes - Page 9 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Surfcasting Mistakes

I was casting a swiming plug into a south shore surf at night during a full moon, not knowing how far out it was on retrieval, I was reeling in and the wave was going out and BOING like a sling shot the plug came flying at my head! If it was'nt for the light of the moon I would have a new face ornament, duct just in time.---LOUIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 AM
First Mate

fishing the same spots every night, even if they are productive.Runnin down the rocks with a fish on and forgettin to turn the head lamp on during the excitment.Walkin ten feet away from a spiked rod.I did get the rod, and the fish!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryper nubcake 22 View Post
Having 6 eels to start with, walking out to the tip of the jetty, and ending up with 2 before i get one hooked correctly and actually in the water. slippery bastards.......

I put my eels in individual sandwich bags before I go out. It works great. pull out a bag, hook the eel through the head while its still in the bag, pull off the bag, and voila! no mess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
First Mate

Forgetting to clip the coast lock and making an omni directional missile out of the plug .I was a recipient of one of these missiles. Luckily it hit me in the head (nothing to injure there)hooked my hat and knocked me down.FREE PLUG!!!

Last edited by striper774; 02-03-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: I left out what the missle was
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that was you?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Zim,It was you.thanks for the plug it catches fish,you must miss it.I'll throw it back your way, but it looks real good on my hat.Thanks again bro.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
what do you think are the most common surfcasting errors?
  • listening to people speculate about where the fish are
  • bad knots
  • gear is too light
  • dull hooks
  • no pre planned landing zone
anyone else?
bad knots & dull hooks
Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Official Member

Leaving too early. I was at Montauk Point this week and it was approx. 11:30pm. I was the last one on the point and the stripers turned on like you wouldn't believe. I was getting one right after another and I was the only one there. My next advise is to not limit yourself to certain baits. The norm is to use tins during the day and swimmers at night. My buddies and I were catching stripers on tins at 10:30pm.
Be persistent and try different baits!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Click image for larger version

Name:	aambk.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	15701Getting BLASTED in the chest by a wave,like an NFL Fullback, under the light in MTK & breaking the first 2 alconite guides on my Super Surf. Luckly that's all that broke, gonna get a Protec helmet soon.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Official Member

Not practicing casting prior to hitting the beach..

Carrying too much gear...
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Official Member

Not moving after not getting a hit or seeing anyone else getting a bass !!!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Striper Hunter

using ur rod as a walking stick and having the hook lodged in ur calf muscle
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Official Member

going knee deep with hip boots and a powerful wave filling them up :/
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Rockindafisha

Yeahp, I've got to admit, I've made just about everyone of these mistakes...but I have to say the worst mistake I made is...I had one of those surf carts you put your cooler in and all your gear on to help you drag it down the sand. Well one Sunday my buddy and I caught 14 shorts and we decided to call it a night, get a little sleep in the car and come back just before sunrise. Well everytime we do this we drag the cart and all of our gear up behind the dunes and secure it to a pile with a chain. Well, in the middle of the night I was awoken by what I thought was thunder which was odd because there wasn't any storms forecast. I didn't think anything of it and fell right back asleep. The next morning we got up, headed down to the sand only to find a tsunami like rouge wave had come and whiped out everything. We found the cart, still attached to the pile which was broken off about 150 yards down the beach, completely bent, battered and half buried in sand, cooler gone, tacklebox gone, 5 rods gone, actually found one of the rods sticking up through the sand about 50 yards down the beach, 2 chairs gone, binoculars gone, I mean just about everything was gone or destroyed. All of the garbage cans on the beach were gone along with some lifeguard stands and other random things. I would have killed to see this wave. We lost about $2000 in gear. My plug bag with about 20 plugs gone, ugh it makes me sick to think about. From that day on we either take shifts watching the gear or we tough it out and drag it all the way back to the car.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiconet View Post
Yeahp, I've got to admit, I've made just about everyone of these mistakes...but I have to say the worst mistake I made is...I had one of those surf carts you put your cooler in and all your gear on to help you drag it down the sand. Well one Sunday my buddy and I caught 14 shorts and we decided to call it a night, get a little sleep in the car and come back just before sunrise. Well everytime we do this we drag the cart and all of our gear up behind the dunes and secure it to a pile with a chain. Well, in the middle of the night I was awoken by what I thought was thunder which was odd because there wasn't any storms forecast. I didn't think anything of it and fell right back asleep. The next morning we got up, headed down to the sand only to find a tsunami like rouge wave had come and whiped out everything. We found the cart, still attached to the pile which was broken off about 150 yards down the beach, completely bent, battered and half buried in sand, cooler gone, tacklebox gone, 5 rods gone, actually found one of the rods sticking up through the sand about 50 yards down the beach, 2 chairs gone, binoculars gone, I mean just about everything was gone or destroyed. All of the garbage cans on the beach were gone along with some lifeguard stands and other random things. I would have killed to see this wave. We lost about $2000 in gear. My plug bag with about 20 plugs gone, ugh it makes me sick to think about. From that day on we either take shifts watching the gear or we tough it out and drag it all the way back to the car.
That was a painful story to read first thing on a Monday morning.......not nearly as painful as going through it though I'm sure.