Good rod/reel combo for surfcasting beginner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Official Member

Default Good rod/reel combo for surfcasting beginner

I would like to try some surfcasting for stripers (fishing in NJ/NY). Any suggestions for an affordable rod/reel combo? I typically fish for trout so do not want to drop a bunch of money on my first surfcasting rig.

I heard good things about the Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel
by Okuma. If this is the right reel, what size should I go with (up to what max drag etc)?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Good rod/reel combo for surfcasting beginner

I think the ABF 50 (17lbs max drag) would make a very good entry level reel. They can currently be purchased on amazon.com for $37.58. That's if you buy today - prices on amazon seem to change daily on this stuff. They also have a Daiwa Beefstick 9' surf rod for $27.91. [Both ship free]

Not the best, but a pretty good entry level surf combo.

Warning - you may just fall in love with this kind of fishing...next thing you know, you'll be dropping $800 for a new reel, and $450 for a custom rod.

Don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard box View Post
I think the ABF 50 (17lbs max drag) would make a very good entry level reel. They can currently be purchased on amazon.com for $37.58. That's if you buy today - prices on amazon seem to change daily on this stuff. They also have a Daiwa Beefstick 9' surf rod for $27.91. [Both ship free]

Not the best, but a pretty good entry level surf combo.

Warning - you may just fall in love with this kind of fishing...next thing you know, you'll be dropping $800 for a new reel, and $450 for a custom rod.

Don't say I didn't warn you...
Thanks. I am going to be fishing the jersey shore mainly. Any suggestions on how to learn the sport? Any books? Also what month can I start casting into the surf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Go to your local tackle shop and feel a combo. If you have a friend who has experience bring him/her along for advice. Think medium power/action and a decent drag ( about 15# is more than enough )
Bait start in mid march / consider the load of the sinker and bait when calculating the rod rating - maybe 2-4 oz
Plugs start in mid april / maybe 1- 3 oz
9-10ft rod is good.
Braided line at 30#, leaders are mono for starters.