Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lamiglas XS 10 MS Opinions?

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rjcappy 
#1 ·
So i think i finally found the rod i am going to buy, seems perfect for what i need it for. I did a search on here, but didn't find anything about this rod. So i figured i would ask people's opinion, what do you guys think of it? (http://www.tackledirect.com/lamrodxs10ms.html - Just for reference)

#3 ·
I'm no expert, but I always suspected windknots were due to reeling in without tension. Have a couple of loose wraps on the spool, and snap. I wish I had a picture to show you, but you can do this yourself: next time you cast, obsever the line in between the spool, and the first guide (the stripper guide). Do it in the day, and use bank sinker for max distance. If the line goes from big coils to fairly tame AFTER the guide, then you should be fine. If it piles up too much as with heavy monofilament, the guide needs to be adjusted out. If it's out too much it'll gain so much inertia the coils will start to slap the blank.

Also, bigger stripper guide isn't always the answer. Sometimes a high profile smaller guide will do more to improve your cast.

I don't know if that helps. I've never heard of guides being the reason for breakage unless it's damaged and chafing. I can't say anything about the rod either, other than it should feel amazing.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Get one made to your specs. The guides are not always set perfectly for all users. You need one that is custom fit to your size and casting style. After starting to build rods for myself and my friends I have found the guide placement to be subjective depending on the user and so having the guides custom placed can reduce the "slapping" of the line when casting thereby reducing wind knots, etc. Also depends on what reel and line you're using. I'll never buy a store rod again. Building 2 lami's right now

#6 ·
Thanks for the imput jim, and double how long has it taken you to learn how to build your rods? I'd imagine there is a good deal of time/effort and to go into building one, not to mention obtaining the knowledge on how to.

#7 ·
It's been my main interest for the last year. I did a lot of research and practice. I also have one of the best mentors anywhere. A guy who has owned his own tackle shops in the past and still makes all his own rods and plugs. It does take me a while to build a rod as I am a bit anal in the details but in the end it's worth it to me to make a quality piece. It's not for the money at all because the time is substantial. I just love it. I ended up selling off my pool table and converting that room into a rod building workshop. All set up with powered workbenches and all the necessary building equipment. Here is my current build. It's a Lami honey fiberglass surf rod. All I have left is to wrap on the guides and seal

And here's the workshop

#8 ·
Thats awsome, i would really like to learn how. Mabey this summer when the stripers die down i could start to read up on it. Or mabey next winters projects, any advice on where to start?

#11 ·
That looks like a rod wrappers paradise, especialy the flat screen! Good job DR! I myself don't bother with store bought rods anymore. Not too hard to build but it pays to be anal! Mudhole is a great website and store. Got my Ron Arra Blank from them real cheap. They have everything you need. Video tutorials, and live tech support which helped out a lot. :a_goodjob:

#12 ·
Thanks RJ. Just finished sealing it. Looks sweet and I'll be fishing it this weekend in Rhody. Just have to put the butt cap on so I can use it as a wading/walking stick as well. Then pair it up with my ZeeBaaS and I'll be in surfcasting heaven

Here's how it looks finished. The pics are a little fuzzy...sorry. Looks very sweet in person

#13 ·
I own a XS 101 ms which I like very much. I have a ZeeBaas ZX25 on it and have not had any issues with it. Most of the time wind knots are either due to the reel or user. I found many/most times a wind knot starts as a spool crossover or loop. Also as DPolson mention it's not due to stripper guide size as the guise on the XS 101ms is huge, plus I also own a St Croix Mojo which has micro(small eyelet) guides and I have had no problems with that rod either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.