Herrring use banned next year?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Default Herrring use banned next year??

I just got an email from a boardmember here and he said he was given a heads-up from Tom at the River Basin that herring use may be on the table to be banned next year in NY. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It would really piss me off if they passed this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Herrring use banned next year??

some rules are meant to be broke
Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

I have not heard anything for 2010, but every year for the past 5yrs or so that topic comes up.

Same with the J-hook ban, that one has come up about the past 10yrs or so.

I don't see it happening for 2010, but it may be the last year

BB
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Well this doesn't seem to be a rumor. I just recived a email from dec that they will be having a meeting in jan of feb discussing the change in fisheries for herring and shad. Its looks like it won't take affect till 2012. Its not def but it looks like it can happen. Heres the email I recieved It say to pass it on to anyone that may be interested. Hopefully it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rherring.pdf (41.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM
fish your head off!!!

Good luck with that, guys. Same thing happened to us down here in eastern NC in 2006 thru 2010. Moratorium on herring... Its now 2009, we still do what we do, and the numbers haven't seemed to increase at all, but you can bet your arse the striper fishing got more challenging!!! Stupid, stooooooooooopidddddddddd!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
First Mate

I think the ONLY thing we have going for us is that the herring are only here for about six weeks. Yes, they are here to spawn, but recreational fishermen won't hurt the breeding stock. I think that if DEC was to limit posession to six per person of LIVE herring, it would help. No one needs to have five or six dozen herring in the boat for two or three people. I was guilty of this myself this year. On one particularly good morning, me and my girlfriend's grandfather scapped up 100 herring. We used about two dozen all day between five of us and the rest I gave to my dad to use for trapping this fall. For shits and giggles, when I was bagging them up. I cut random fish open to see if they were male or female. Of the two dozen fish I checked, EVERY ONE was a male! Weird. I think we all need to attend at least one of the DEC meetings and voice our concerns. It would also help if we as anglers offered compromising solutions as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
RoughThumb

I just got my gill net renewal forms and they are not even issuing herring shad net licenses this year i have had the herring shad tag for years but it be gone now. as for herring usage this spring i got the same email about public meetings but in my estimation it is a done deal already. man they really know how to screw up a good time don't they like the herring we take for bait during the run up the hudson is really what is reducing herring numbers. GIVE ME A BREAK! Lets all try to turn out to be heard but i do have a baaaad feeling about this this year.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
First Mate

Yeah, I got my scap net renewal two weeks ago. I also mailed in my survey that is required if you want another scap net permit. The girl ( Amanda?) called the house TWICE asking for further info such as how many days I scapped and for how long each session. I made sure I told her that for the past few years I have seen TONS of herring later in the season just swimming by the shore and splashing on the rocks in the shallows. Not mating, just getting ready I guess. This has been witnessed as far north as the Coeymans area- just ask Hung4Wheeler. They need info bad because they HAVE to have a plan in place by 2012 per AMSFC regs.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
I think the ONLY thing we have going for us is that the herring are only here for about six weeks. Yes, they are here to spawn, but recreational fishermen won't hurt the breeding stock. I think that if DEC was to limit posession to six per person of LIVE herring, it would help. No one needs to have five or six dozen herring in the boat for two or three people. I was guilty of this myself this year. On one particularly good morning, me and my girlfriend's grandfather scapped up 100 herring. We used about two dozen all day between five of us and the rest I gave to my dad to use for trapping this fall. For shits and giggles, when I was bagging them up. I cut random fish open to see if they were male or female. Of the two dozen fish I checked, EVERY ONE was a male! Weird. I think we all need to attend at least one of the DEC meetings and voice our concerns. It would also help if we as anglers offered compromising solutions as well.
This is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted in a while. The rec fisherman won't hurt the breeding stock as you go on and say you scapped 100 used 2 dozen and cut others up for shits and giggles????? If I were you I wouldn't tell this story at the meeting. Do some research on how herring spawn!!!!!!!!!!!! And you talk about being pissed off if it passes??? I'm more pissed reading your rant. Maybe next year you won't be as careless. Guess what?? YOU HURT THE BREEDING STOCK by wasting 80 herring in just 1 trip. Go figure I am assuming these are river herring?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted in a while. The rec fisherman won't hurt the breeding stock as you go on and say you scapped 100 used 2 dozen and cut others up for shits and giggles????? If I were you I wouldn't tell this story at the meeting. Do some research on how herring spawn!!!!!!!!!!!! And you talk about being pissed off if it passes??? I'm more pissed reading your rant. Maybe next year you won't be as careless. Guess what?? YOU HURT THE BREEDING STOCK by wasting 80 herring in just 1 trip. Go figure I am assuming these are river herring?
Did you really READ my reply??? I didn't cut them up for shits and giggles, I had saved them for my dad who traps in the fall to use as bait. I wanted to know their sexes, THAT"S why I cut them up!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
You know, after writing my initial response this morning I've been stewing about this all day. YOU'RE the one who went on a rant, not me! You said it was one of the dumbest things you've seen posted in a while, but obviously you didn't really READ it to begin with! I SAID I was guilty of taking more than I really needed ( although PERFECTLY LEGAL to take that amount AND some were suppossed to be consumed by my girlfriend's grandfather but he changed his mind too late to throw any back.) New York DEC has YEARS of data that needs to be looked through. YEARS! And yet they want to hang this on us. I also said that we need to offer compromising solutions- putting a bag over your head doesn't help anything. I don't want NY to wind up like Mass. and Connecticut that's for sure. BTW, I have done ALOT of research on both the herring and the striper and feel I know their needs pretty well in the river system. Yes, we are talking river herring. In closing just let me say this- I don't need people to agree with me or like what I do. I simply can't stand when someone replies to a forum topic with nothing but hate and attitude with no real substance or room for intelligent conversation, especially when they don't bother to read the topic. Hey, no harm-no foul. Good Luck this coming season.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
I also mailed in my survey that is required if you want another scap net permit. The girl ( Amanda?) called the house TWICE asking for further info such as how many days I scapped and for how long each session. I made sure I told her that for the past few years I have seen TONS of herring later in the season just swimming by the shore and splashing on the rocks in the shallows. Not mating, just getting ready I guess.
Yeah i sent mine in a month ago or so (i have the dip net permit) ... me and my buddy also did a volunteer Herring monitoring program that lasted 8 weeks during Apr/May. Basically just a 15min spot check in local creeks and report what you see for activity and approx numbers of fish.

Here is what concered me, A number of the volunteers were not fishermen and didn't even know what to look for. Just looking at the creek your not going to see much and if they reported back NOT seeing ANY fish, that is not going to help our case !! There are a lot more Herring around than they think.

I would put on my waders and go up the mouth of the creek, even attract them with the stoolie even though i was not even netting any at the time. That way i could give accurate numbers. Just standing there you don't see many. I understand they are trying to help but i would be surprised it they saw many at all ?!?!?!

My 2 cents !

Guess i'll have to try a few new tactics this year and find a new way to catch them for future years.

BB
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
Yeah i sent mine in a month ago or so (i have the dip net permit) ... me and my buddy also did a volunteer Herring monitoring program that lasted 8 weeks during Apr/May. Basically just a 15min spot check in local creeks and report what you see for activity and approx numbers of fish.

Here is what concered me, A number of the volunteers were not fishermen and didn't even know what to look for. Just looking at the creek your not going to see much and if they reported back NOT seeing ANY fish, that is not going to help our case !! There are a lot more Herring around than they think.

I would put on my waders and go up the mouth of the creek, even attract them with the stoolie even though i was not even netting any at the time. That way i could give accurate numbers. Just standing there you don't see many. I understand they are trying to help but i would be surprised it they saw many at all ?!?!?!

My 2 cents !

Guess i'll have to try a few new tactics this year and find a new way to catch them for future years.

BB
You know, this is just one more thing about NY that really pisses me off. How the hell are the people at DEC suppossed to make sound conservation decisions about our fish and game if THEY don't get out there and do some actual field work. Other states like Minnesota and Michigan for example are very proactive in managing their natural resources. Did you happen to see this on the DEC website?: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...herrstatus.pdf

It paints pretty scary picture.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Striper Hunter

The Dec is way off base but it is the only fishery they can regulate. The real problem with our decreasing herring numbers can be attributed to Offshore Trawlers killing River herring Bycatch when they are targeting Sea herring. These nets are as long a a football field wide and also as long and are roughly 8 stories high. The River herring co mingle with the sea herring and are thus killed as Bycatch. A single tow of the net can harvest as much as 100,000 pounds of herring. The Sea Herring boundaries has been expanded while some states wrangle with legislation that will take years to pass while more bycatch is wasted and not regulated or counted. The Dec will admit to this and their limited knowledge of the actual Bycatch numbers. Let me assure you they are massive losses and this why the herring numbers as a whole in the river have decreased. Their intended regulation of our river herring is just a futile attempt by them to cover up the real truth to what's going on and their inability to do anything about it. This is the sad truth and they will destroy the hudson river Striped Bass fishery. I'm already selling my boat as I can see the future and what it holds with their ridiculous denial of the real truth behind the herring stock decline and their ludicous proposals to fix it.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
You know, after writing my initial response this morning I've been stewing about this all day. YOU'RE the one who went on a rant, not me! You said it was one of the dumbest things you've seen posted in a while, but obviously you didn't really READ it to begin with! I SAID I was guilty of taking more than I really needed ( although PERFECTLY LEGAL to take that amount AND some were suppossed to be consumed by my girlfriend's grandfather but he changed his mind too late to throw any back.) New York DEC has YEARS of data that needs to be looked through. YEARS! And yet they want to hang this on us. I also said that we need to offer compromising solutions- putting a bag over your head doesn't help anything. I don't want NY to wind up like Mass. and Connecticut that's for sure. BTW, I have done ALOT of research on both the herring and the striper and feel I know their needs pretty well in the river system. Yes, we are talking river herring. In closing just let me say this- I don't need people to agree with me or like what I do. I simply can't stand when someone replies to a forum topic with nothing but hate and attitude with no real substance or room for intelligent conversation, especially when they don't bother to read the topic. Hey, no harm-no foul. Good Luck this coming season.
Hey sorry for pissing in your Cheerios. But I did read the whole post. Yes perfectly legal to keep them all but this website is dedicated to Striped Bass. It's legal to keep 2 bass per day in Ma over 28 inches. A good 70% of my outings result in multiple fish over the 28 inch mark. I let 95% of my fish go even though it's legal to keep them. I do keep some to eat but I don't keep rest because that's what the book says I can do. It's the same as pogies. There is no limit. But I won't snag, or net 100, use a few and bait pots with the rest. The main reason for my rant was the comment about the rec fisherman not having anything to do with the river herring populations and then talking about taking way more than needed to actually fish. I could have put a couple thousand pounds of pogies in my freezer (not like its big enough) this year and it would have been perfectly legal. But I didn't (see what I mean?) If the Bass regs are changed to keep 20 per day would you keep 20? Get what I'm talking about? And it wasn't hate towards you at all maybe some attitude but I can't help that. Maybe a ban will be good in a way. Yes it has sucked for us but the pop's are slowly coming back. And I feel if they didn't do it we would be screwed at this point. At least 7 local runs STILL haven't had #'s that we had years ago before the ban. I will never preach to anyone to let them ALL go to fight another day. But I will say take what you need and that's IT. Please don't be upset by my posts. I'm not trying to piss you off or attack you in any way. I argue and bitch with my good friends all of the time. Boys will be boys