First time out at night! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
First Mate

Default First time out at night!

Hey guys, ever since I caught my first few schoolies last year i have been hooked on striper fishing. But being 15 years old, its a pain because me and my friend (lxpaul6) only get to fish during the day and sometimes into the evening, seeing as our parents just go to the beach during the day. We have made multiple day trips this year, resulting in only a few schoolies so far. BUT last night we finally talked his parents into taking us to the beach at night! I hooked into my first legitimate striper at sunset on clams, after a he sprinted with the clam i set the hook (probably too soon due to my nerves...) As i began to bring him in he jumped out of the water giving me a nice look at him, and boom he spit up the clam! After the sun went down we broke out the eels. Paul and I both nearly missed stripers on eels, but it was our first time using them, so we just need to get the hang of it. We had to leave around 11, although i could have stayed there all night. But none the less we got a feel for night fishing, and look forward to bringing in our first keeper soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: First time out at night!

Sounds like you had a blast. It's always better to go with others at night especially with all the crime lately. Keep at it
Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

great job. just keep in mind that you have the rest of your life ahead of you so dont rush things. take your time and pay close attention to everything around you when you get out there. learn from your mistakes and keep your eye on the prize and you will become an acomplished striper fisherman for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
First Mate

thanks guys, i'm hopefully making a few more night fishing trips this week, so possibly a keeper this week? I think so!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM

Way to go Ghilie. Fish with confidence. Keep a mental or written record of those conditions. Remember to bow to the cow. Then cross its eyes.
Keep your hooks sharp and be confident with your knots.
Lowes or home depo has a $12 headlamp with the red night time light.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Way to go Ghilie. Fish with confidence. Keep a mental or written record of those conditions. Remember to bow to the cow. Then cross its eyes.
Keep your hooks sharp and be confident with your knots.
Lowes or home depo has a $12 headlamp with the red night time light.

Will do..lol
As for headlamps we picked up some cheapo's at wally world, but as i go night fishing more often i will definetly look into the red night time ones, thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Its just a three LCD bulb on one lamp, red, white and a blinker.
Its courtesy to use the red light at night rather than shine bright light near the water. Red dissipates at a few feet, the fish dont spook and nearby fishermen dont scream at you.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Ahh, alright, i will look into that. I try to use my light as little as possible, and what about a green LCD light? I heard those dissipate in the water as well (probably not as well as red).
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Congrats on the night trip....you'll find after some time out there that you'll only want to fish at night. I think the best piece of advice I could offer is what I was told when I started...which is don't beat yourself up. Its easy to get really caught up in this sport and forget your responsibilities. After a while you'll know when to go and when to stay home!

Good luck!