2 Piece Rod or One Piece ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Default 2 Piece Rod or One Piece ?

Hello
I am looking at few st Croix poles and was wondering if there is any disadvantages for getting a 2 piece pole. Back in the day I had an ugly stick that was a two piece and the guides would misalign after a few casts. Also will I lose any sensitivity going with a two piece?
I was wondering what model you would recommend also I was looking at the avid series and the premier. I also want to know if the length of the rod matters in the distance of the cast. Currently I have a 7 foot triumph and with 30 pound power pro braid I able to cast anywhere around 50 to 70 feet so was wondering if 10 foot pole will get me around the 100 foot mark?
Thanks
X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Re: 2 Piece Rod or One Piece ?

I am a custom builder, have been virtually all my life. I use nothing but 1 piece rods. For the surf, a 7 foot rod is way too short, 9 foot is a good start, my shortest is 10. If all you need is 100 feet of cast, a 10 will get there for you, mine gets me 100 yards or better. It is my belief that the ferrule that connects the sections of the 2 piece rods robs you of sensitivity, as well as performance. Some folks feel otherwise, but I am an old school thick headed Frenchman, and will never believe otherwise.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM

The reason I was thinking about getting a two piece rod was that it would make it easier to travel with. What do you think of st Croix rods ? I do you think that the avid is worth it?
thx
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Staff

I have a St. Croix 7'6" that I use on the kayak, 1 piece casting rod. I really like it. The action is a little faster than I was used to, but I've come to appreciate that. All my surf rods are 2 piece. Never had any issue with the sections become misaligned,, though I have had them get stuck a few times.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 PM

The one piece is definately better but the main reason for me using the two piece is transporting the rod.
I have a two piece custom 12'6" and the bottom section is only 4 feet so it has to ride on top of the truck. This presents a problem when you want to use a shorter rod. The 12 -6 either comes with you or sits in the rack on top of your truck.
The 10 footers just fit into the short bed broken down.
Otherwise all my rods would be one piece.
I have a St Croix premier bait stick. Solid rod. No complaints whatsoever. Warranty 5 years on the surf rods.
(Nose grease helps them not to get stuck)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks Jim, I am going back and forth between the avid and premier.
Thx
X
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM
swabbie

One piece, two piece, apples and oranges. Depends on what you like. If you have a transportation problem, storage problem or just general keeping it safe problem I see nothing wrong with two piece rods. I have at present two rods that are three piece and in excess of 13 feet. Have had not a problem with any of them with bite detection or holding up. In my opinion 12' one piece would be a problem in more ways than one. Might be a better rod but as I mentioned, apples and oranges.... cinch
Old 08-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

One piece rods are always better. If you can transport them ok, to and from the surf, than you're straight.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Official Member

Only rod I ever busted while casting was a 2 pc, the ferrule split. There are some good lockable roof racks out there and worth the investment. IMHO,the one piece rods really do perform better and they're all I fish with.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 AM

Ferrule technology has come a long, long way in the past few years.

Just look at fly rods. All the best rods are 4 piece now and in the heavier weights these rods are dealing with immense pressure and heavy flex right through the ferrules.

I used to be a one piece only guy and when it comes to any rod more then five plus years old I will still prefer to go with a one piece. However, the new high end two piece rods like the AFAW are just as strong and reliable as any one piece rod out there.

This doesn't hold true with Kmart or Walmart rods, crap rods are crap rods and have crap ferrules - you get what you pay for.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

one piece is imo the best investment but for convenience sake, an afterthought as it becomes cumbersome to travel with in some cases. but the force on the joint of any rod can be compromised if it is not checked periodically. anyway, if i am plugging or am flyrodding i am taping the sections with electrical tape as to keep the integrity of the rod in tact so as to avoid any unwanted incidents of such nature to occur. so any 2 3 or 4 pc rod is just as wielding as the one pc. just an ounce of prevention worth 50lb of bass.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:09 PM

i have a 10' 6'' st croix premier 2 piece surf rod and the thing is SICK. i needed the two piece cuz i drive a kia spectra and needed to fit it inside lol. honestly i dont have a lot of experience with the action the rod has with light tackle cuz its stiff as hell and i only use it for baits and weights and big lures. actually couple times i had a really small schoolie on and didnt even know it until i started to reel it in. but i love the thing and i can cast bait a friggin mile. havent had a problem with it all and i cant see ever having a problem with the integrity of the graphite its made of. thing is pretty solid.