Spot burns?????? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Spot burns??????

You guys seem to be missing the point. I am not trying to make you give your spots away and take a way from all the time you put in. Neither am i trying to find new spots I have my spots and have had for years.... But when a new guy comes on this forum and someone is giving him advice and suggesting a few spots some people on here jump right down there throats......No intentions on getting anyone pissed off.....just had my opinion and was wondering what people were thinking about the subject....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintin View Post
You guys seem to be missing the point. I am not trying to make you give your spots away and take a way from all the time you put in. Neither am i trying to find new spots I have my spots and have had for years.... But when a new guy comes on this forum and someone is giving him advice and suggesting a few spots some people on here jump right down there throats......No intentions on getting anyone pissed off.....just had my opinion and was wondering what people were thinking about the subject....
You're right in that regard vintin, there are DEFINITELY some grey areas pertaining to spot burns and how they are handled on this site. The problem is that no one on this site is familiar with all the different areas being fished from state to state to state. I mean I could tell you I fish on Old Orchard Beach xxxx yards down from the pier in front of yyyyy hotel near zzzzz restaurant and while that is still a pretty heavily fished area and by no means a secret, a site moderator is gonna jump on that and say hey thats too specific and hence, considered a spot burn. OOB is 7 miles long and fished by anyone and everyone from old salts to the novice, right down to the white bucket toting googans all summer long, every single year, without fail. I guess the only advice I can give ya is in the public forums keep the spots you fish and talk about as vague as possible. If you choose to PM someone a specific spot that's on you......just make sure they're trusted or the place you call your "honey hole" may turn into a parking lot the next time ya show up.

StriperHyper ~ Will

Last edited by StriperHyper; 03-30-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Spot burns??????

LOL we just make up nick names for the places we fish... that way the only people who fish their on a regualar bases know where we are talking about.... besides I can tell someone where i fish that doesnt mean u are gonna catch fish like me and sometimes people dont think like that. over the years on hear I have seen it many times people fighting over spot burns the fact of the matter is no spot is a secret. we have people go past on boats and see us slamming the fish the next morning their are 10 boats their in 16 feet of water 20 feet of shore.... But if u are gonna pin point where u fish u are just inviting trouble and problems..... Sorry for ranting but I had to say something .... TIGHT LINES
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
LOL we just make up nick names for the places we fish... that way the only people who fish their on a regualar bases know where we are talking about.... besides I can tell someone where i fish that doesnt mean u are gonna catch fish like me and sometimes people dont think like that. over the years on hear I have seen it many times people fighting over spot burns the fact of the matter is no spot is a secret. we have people go past on boats and see us slamming the fish the next morning their are 10 boats their in 16 feet of water 20 feet of shore.... But if u are gonna pin point where u fish u are just inviting trouble and problems..... Sorry for ranting but I had to say something .... TIGHT LINES

I hate when boaters come so close to shore that we cant cast. We tell them to move, and most do. But do get the occasional prick who wont move, so we start firing 3oz sinkers all around the boat until he leaves. If there is a boat right off shore first, then yea ill go up or down shore, if he comes while im there first, thats a problem
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
You make good points! I've been fishing from shore with my group and a couple of stripers get landed and all of a sudden, the boats start moving closer! Asses! There's also the respect factor. For instance, I know EXACTLY where you fish and I have no problems getting up at 4:00 am to go striper fishing. COuld I beat you to your spot? Probably. Would I? NO! The only way I would fish there would be by invitation. Even though there's plenty of shoreline there, you still have to worry about lines crossing and making people just feel crowded. Everyone wants to catch fish, no one wants to put the time in to do it.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Why someone in a boat would do that is beyond be ... atleast you don't have to worry about us Gary , we just send you a lot of waves LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglethedangle View Post
I hate when boaters come so close to shore that we cant cast. We tell them to move, and most do. But do get the occasional prick who wont move, so we start firing 3oz sinkers all around the boat until he leaves. If there is a boat right off shore first, then yea ill go up or down shore, if he comes while im there first, thats a problem
You are nice, some guys i fish with actually throw big rocks at them
Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Be careful, boats are supposed to be carrying signal flares
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Official Member

I have been that guy on shore with the boat 100yds off shore. Not the best thing to walk into, especially given the location and how much of a pain in the ass it is to get in and out of, but there was hope. Talking to the guys in the boat who had been sitting there for a few hours marking fish but not catching any, our hopes were deminishing. My buddy and i started our fire, baited up and cast out....no sooner is the fourth rod in the water then the first fish is getting netted, 22#, rebait, cast next reel is screaming...this one is a problem...i think it first surface right around that boat. eventually we get her in...weighed in at 36# 44 1/2". Rebait, get all the rods back in....10 minutes go by, third fish is on, another slightly small than the first. Ok time to go....say goodbye to our new found friends in the boat, put out the fire, and lug our 70#'s plus of fish up the hill, back in the truck and head home....total elapsed time 45 minutes, how many times it has gone down like that since.....zero. I personally don't believe in spot burning because of stories like this. I also haven't had many issues with it, the occasional a-hole but they are the ones that noone helps when he does hook a fish. BESIDES....THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD IS WATCHING SOMEONE ELSE CATCH THEIR FIRST
Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Official Member

Well as the new season is about to begin I start surfing the web sites looking for as much info as I can get. For some unknown reason I love catching stripers and exclusively using live bait. I live on the South Shore of Long Island and have been chasing stripers for some 45 years now. By surf or boat, day or night, rain or shine I go. Today most of my fishing is done from my 1990 22 Boston Whaler of which I trailer where ever the fish may be.
At age 62 I have come to enjoy traveling and meeting new fishing buddies and fishing new areas. Learning and trying new techniques which are practiced in these different locations. Learning not only about different baits but different ways to rig and present these live-liners. Down off Cape May this guy showed me how to rig live Bluefish to catch stripers another year I was on the Hudson up in Saugerties and all the locals anchored up and drifted back live herring I shared a technique with a guy up there and we drifted the live bait and had real good day fishing. I caught large stripers in the “Race” between Little Gull Island and Fishers Island in 80’ of water with 10oz sinkers and live eels and not but another 5 miles east in 6’ of water using no weight and live Porgies we pulled some nice fish out of kelp beds. I could go on and on.
The reason why I say this is more than once, after sharing info I was burned, pushed out, missed opportunities but when I look back threw the years it was my fellow fisherman who shared with me that led to my success. So as the saying goes “what goes around comes around”. I will always share my success with anyone who asks.
With the internet there are even more challenges with sharing, but in the end I personally don’t believe for a minute that giving up a spot will equate to you catching less fish. The good fisherman always catches and than there are most that just don’t get it no matter where they are.
To date I have 3 X 50lbs+ fish countless 40lbs but better than that I have had the experience of fishing with men that I never met before and sharing the experience, and that can be even more of a thrill than catching stripers.
RB
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by funforfree33 View Post
I can tell you a ton of places to go from shore in the Ulster County Area. All of which have had stripers caught from there. Never from me because I suck at striper fishing plus I fish from the boat. So if anyone is in the Kingston, Eddyville, Saugerties, or Catskill area I can throw out a few spots. All which are legal access.
A perfect case of spotburner. Never got bass there but will tell anyone he doesn't know to fish in certain spot that others fish and catch. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to catch fish without being crowded. Nobody owns the ocean and nobody claims to own it. But come on. There are too many idiots that lurk or may even be on this site that will show up on a stupid report. WHY would you tell someone you don't know where to go?????????????????? What if they go there and leave beer bottles and trash behind?????? Or get drunk and piss off the homeowners in the area. You didn't do anyone a favor. Especially if they actually catch fish and show up every weekend with more people and more trash. This is how spotburning really works guys. Don't be so naive. Sorry bud this is in no means an attack. I'm sure your trying to be a nice guy which is fine. But think about it bit it doesn't make sense.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:46 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

If you are interested in giving up a location to someone who seems in earnest. PM the Guy and and make it clear the info is for him. Don't burn down a location for every Tom Dick and Harry that may not even be registered at this site. Not to mention the guy that may be fishing next to you may have spent years learning the area and found the place you are catching fish at through hard work to have it ruined by a couple of guys who don't have anything invested in the location other than reading about it on the Web.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Pro Staff

From reading through this thread, I get the feeling that some are misunderstanding the whole issue.

It's NOT about having your spot "fished out", or the result being that there are fewer fish there for you to catch the next time you go to that spot. This is NOT a freshwater pond we're fishing in.... striped bass are migratory and are never in the same spot for very long anyway.

The issue is with access, and is especially a problem for shorebound anglers and surfcasters in areas where public access points are limited. Read BackBayJ's post above mine again. THOSE are the real issues. In many instances it's a matter of whether or not you will even have access to that spot in the future because it got ratted out online and swarmed by folks with no respect who not only crowd you out, but eventually cause denial of fishing access to the entire area because of their less than appropriate behaviour.

This is the real issue, and to say that it is NOT an issue only proves that you grossly misinformed and that the scenario described above hasn't happened to you..... YET. Once it does, you will change your tune.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintin View Post
Lets get real here... way to many people worrying about getting there ( spot burned), there are thousands of fish in the hudson every year. Who really cares if a few guys learn a new spot.. Is it really going to stop a fish from hitting your bait???? Contrary to your beliefs the awnser is no. I have been on charter boats were 50 people are fishing within 40 feet of each other and and some people catch nothing for a whole 8 hours.... while other people catch 20...... The fish decide who catches the them..... The sportsmanship has gone way down over the years... That spot burn nonsense is BS...... Give a chance to someone who needs some help to find a spot or location to fish once in a while... The shore is getting harder and harder to access...... Lets help each other out a little bit and stop acting like the stripers belong to you........
Ummm sooooooo following this logic I can be expecting you to tell me where your honey holes are. I need some good spots to try out

Waiting anxiously.....
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM
wellsley

I hope the stripers get here soon. So that you guys can get out and start catching some fish. I joined this BB to try to learn about Striper fishing. I'm a newbie and am eager to learn. But I'm not looking for your spot!!! There are two launches that I plan to use, so I will look for a SPOT from there. It is sad that this thread is currently the most popular in the hudson river section. Those of you that are looking for spots to fish. Try stopping in to the local bait shops marina's, even coffee shops. You'd be surpised what some of these locals will tell you and then its up to you to do the leg work and find what will work for you. May all your nets be full of 40lber's.
On other note yesterday at day break on I88 I saw 3 boats in a row heading east. The first one was being towed by a motorhome and in big blue letters had Striper on the bow. They looked liked they meant business. During the day I would say I saw between 15 and 20 boats going east.
Oh yea BTW have a good Easter.
Closed Thread