2021 striper reports - Page 9 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 08:48 AM
First Mate

Default Re: 2021 striper reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiethej View Post
Got a 30 inch at the dam yesterday at dusk and a 24 and two 28's today in Albany plus 3 runs that got off. One thing I noticed fishing for herring, which were plentiful, is I was getting way more white perch on the sabiki. Way more. You? Anyway, here is some vid from the dam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IavBpyN0j4k
I agree, many more perch than usual. I think itís water clarity. Almost no one fishing the last couple days but Iíve caught my share. Several runs and a few good fish. They seem to be headed south in massive schools. Water temp was 66 yesterday then dropped to 64. The bite comes alive during the last hour of outgoing tide. I was at the port the past2 days. Sonar makes a difference. Iíve learned a lot this year. Hopefully one more decent weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2021, 07:28 PM
First Mate

one run today in albany, dropped it, that's it. plenty of bait. catfish were killing the herring.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:52 PM
First Mate

So a few years ago I went fishing on Dylan's birthday, May 24, and got one. That would be this Monday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhziBIzITwo&t=12s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2021, 12:14 AM
Senior Member Elite

Havenít had time to post as I have been on the river every day and night....I still am. Fishing has been excellent. Last week he section from Rogers to Esopus lighthouse produced a lot of fish......this past weekend a blown lower unit kept me on one motor so I have been fishing Poughkeepsie to Marlboro and it has been good...last Sunday the spawning was full force just north of Rogers....I stopped counting at 150. I have not seen any spawning in the Milton Marlboro stretch though. Early morning from 5-8 am and evening from 5-10 pm has been the best bite. Now they are feeding more on the slack to ebb tide as they are staring to leave and mostly traveling on the flood tide where you see them stacked on the channel floor. Landed numerous 40+ in fish over the last week including a 44 in 42 lber. My buddy landed a 48 in 42 lb fish yesterday and 4 in the mid 40 in range this morning in Milton. Water temps hit 62 today but are back down to 59 tonight but these next few very warm sunny days will drive the temps up and the fish out. We still have another solid week of good fishing then stragglers after that. More fish are traveling the West side now which is their exit highway and the are moving fast....last nite Marlboro bay was loaded and this morning at 5 am devoid of fish. Tight lines everyone and have fun....this fishing and sleeping on the boat stuff is cool.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey all,
It's been a tough run for me this year.

I had one runoff a couple of weeks ago in Marlboro while marking tons of fish. I saw the bite and lifted my rod (not a hook set) to tighten up my line, and I felt the fish for a moment, but then it was gone.

I have had no other luck over the course of this run. Fishing from the bank has been fruitless for me as well.

I have one more shot at it tomorrow. Should I head up to Kingston at this point and try fishing/trolling near the Roundout and Esopus, or should I head back to Newburgh and Marlboro. I am a bit soured on Newburgh lately, but I will heed the advice of anyone who can give me some insight.

Many thanks in advance. Not looking for a spot burn, but just for a direction or a place to reel one in.

Best wishes and tightlines,

Jonathan
Old 05-21-2021, 03:26 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono916 View Post
Hey all,

I had one runoff a couple of weeks ago in Marlboro while marking tons of fish. I saw the bite and lifted my rod (not a hook set) to tighten up my line, and I felt the fish for a moment, but then it was gone.

I have had no other luck over the course of this run. Fishing from the bank has been fruitless for me as well.

I have one more shot at it tomorrow. Should I head up to Kingston at this point and try fishing/trolling near the Roundout and Esopus, or should I head back to Newburgh and Marlboro. I am a bit soured on Newburgh lately, but I will heed the advice of anyone who can give me some insight.

Many thanks in advance. Not looking for a spot burn, but just for a direction or a place to reel one in.

Jonathan
Read the post immediately above yours. That's exactly where I would be heading.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Pretty warm today, anybody fish above Henry Hudson park with success? Weighing my options for tomorrow. Trips vs catches this is my best year in several so Iím hoping to end the season with a fish or two tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Was up by the Troy dam tnight herring was tough to catch and only one run with 2 other boats out there. Looks like there headed south
Old 05-22-2021, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Swing and a miss today. Lots of marks but not even a run. Switching gears. Time for st Lawrence smallmouths. Good luck to you folks down south, thereís some massive schools headed your way fast. Water temp hit 70 at the port of Albany. Over too soon. Great season.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Ship of Fools and Doc Z,

Thank you for the great advice.
On Saturday, I ended up fishing south of Kingston. We were on a boat just south of the Roundout Creek. We fished in 35 feet of water and had our baits at different depths. We were close to the middle of the river, but saw several boats closer to the west side. We had plenty of marks, and we caught a bunch of eels and catfish, and even a couple of stripers. I tried sandworms (no bloods at the baitshopt), and even something called lugworms. The lugworms caught me my first striper in a couple of years. It was small, and so back it went. My friend caught a 23 inch striper on a chunk of fresh bunker. We had a few fish running and even seemingly hooked, when they just dropped the bait after about ten seconds of fight. I have concluded that we had the wrong size of circle hook for our chunks and these fish. We were using 5/0, but after some consideration, I believe that we should have been using 7/0-9/0 hooks.

When we arrived back at the launch ramp, there was guy getting ready to go out. It was 8:00 pm, and seemed kind of late, as the sun was going down. Soon after, a couple of other boats were getting ready to be launched. Perhaps, we should have started our trip at 6:00 instead and fished the dark. There was also a guy scapping herring with a stoolie and square net. I need to try this out. It seemed pretty simple, and maybe having fresh herring would have given us a better shot at something larger.
There were still plenty of fish in that Kingston area, but it may not last much longer. Good luck to everyone. Tightlines and thank you to everyone who shared advice.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Out Sunday in Newburgh area from 9am-8pm. 20+ fish ranging from 16 - 24in with one 34.

It was windy and when the tide started coming in against the wind, it got choppy. Finished by the tanks where we were marking a lot of smaller schools just 50 feet south and picked up a few slots. There was still some spawning just after slack tide. Not nearly as much as last week but still happening. Tried to release most without taking them out of the water, but a few of the males brought on deck were spewing. They are still out there for anyone considering the holiday weekend.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:19 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono916 View Post
Hey all,

Jonathan

Yesterday the section from just N of the Newburg Bridge up past Whites and the West side in Milton had good numbers of hungry fish on the Flood tide....the bite died on the Ebb tide.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Senior Member Elite

The fishing has still been good. The fish from the North are starting their journey south but we still have fresh fish coming in from Delaware. Yesterday many of the fish we caught were heading North and clearly had not been in the river for more than a week. There were also Monsters sitting on the flats just north of the Newburg bridge which means they are probably staging to spawn. Most of the best fishing has been on the West side now as the northern fish travel South. They have been quite aggressive. Yesterday the best bite was on the Flood tide and shut down on the Ebb tide. Working today but I will be out tomorrow. Newburg is also getting better as it has been slow all season.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:19 AM
Senior Member Elite

These fish are making their journey out but the fishing is still good. We did well yesterday but their feeding is limited....they only were active yesterday at the end of the Ebb tide into early Flood tide then the bite shut down. Lots of fish on the channel floor traveling. Yesterday's incoming storms and wind blew up off the water early. There are still lots of fish up North that are coming down but this time of year the screens will not show constant fish but rather pods coming down as they move south. Yesterday I did see some thick clouds of herring on the move too. Water temps ranged from 62-64 yesterday. Most of our fish were caught from the middle of the channel to the West side. Don't give up yet...there are still fish to catch
Old 05-29-2021, 09:13 PM
Senior Member Elite

The wind these last 2 days was brutal but we still managed to catch fish. They are on the move south but still feeding mostly on the early and late Ebb tide.......the bite was shut down the last 2 days on the Flood tide. Back out in the am in the shitty weather that feels like March.