Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Vintage Aquasports

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rogerstg 
#1 ·
My father and I are going to look at a 22ft Aqua sport CC, the hull is a 76. I know very little about these boats, does anyone have any advice they could offer or things to look for? Common problems, comments on their construction/quality, ect?
Thanks

#2 ·
Wet/rotted transom - usually evidenced by a big aluminum or stainless rectangle.

Rotted decks - check for soft spots

Rotted or broken stringers - need to be able to look in there.

I don't know where aquasport used wood in the 70's, but every area that did is suspect.

Then there is everything mechanical and electrical to review.

#3 ·
rogerstg said:
Wet/rotted transom - usually evidenced by a big aluminum or stainless rectangle.

Rotted decks - check for soft spots

Rotted or broken stringers - need to be able to look in there.

I don't know where aquasport used wood in the 70's, but every area that did is suspect.

Then there is everything mechanical and electrical to review.
quote="rogerstg"] usually evidenced by a big aluminum or stainless rectangle. what does that mean ?

#5 ·
When i had a sea hawk i was looking at surveyed, the guy used an electronic detector that tested whether the hull and transom were solid or not. Sure as sh*t the boat had severe issues. The whole transom was worked on with auto body plastic. Visually it looked fine. But hanging the big Yamaha off of it, its possible a $12,000 motor could have fallen right into the drink. Like Rogerstg points out, those old boats can have severe issues. A steel plate is certainly better than bongo. Thats probably what I would have had to do had I opted to fix it.

#8 ·
Well I bought the boat. The boat belonged to my friends father for the last 15 years and was maintained perfectly, has a 150hp Mercury outboard on it, GPS, radio, fish/depth finder, new canvus and coushins last winter, boat basically looks new. Quite the upgrade from my 16ft starcraft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.