Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

new to striper fishing need some help

18K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jennyflyfisherpro 
#1 ·
hi everyone im new here and was looking for some help on striper fishing from bank's of ct river, i have a 9 foot surf cast rod and plenty of other big rod's that i use for catfish wonder what lure's and technique's to use i have some 7 inch rapala's and some big buck tail's i pick'd up and allso have 10 inch slugo eel lure's my pole's have 25 pnd test . i live near the enfield rapid's and will be fishing in that area and allso at the tville boat launch :flyfish:

#3 ·
Hey Rat, so your gear setup should be fine to get you started. If you really start to get in to it, then you can worry about upgrades and all that but you will catch plenty of stripers with bucktails and plastic swimmers on a 9 ft rod. Especially early in the year.
If your just looking for some general advice, don't get too caught up with finding the deepest possible water or only targeting high tides. If you watch the boat guys, they usually aren't just working the middle of the channel, they are picking and popping around the shallows.
For surf fishing you can do a lot of damage with 1 oz or 1.5 oz bucktails in less than 12 feet of water. if you drag bottom every now and then, then your on the rite track. Bigger fish will usually be right on the floor. Day or night, plastic swimmers like bombers are another great option in the same scenario. I wouldn't get too concerned about lure colors, just use what you like til you find what works. Also for daytime fishing, spooks and pencils are a great choice. I love wood lures but I have had great days using zara spooks or cotton cordell pencils or other regular poppers. Really not much different than bass fishing as far as approach. My one suggestion tho, is swap out stock hooks and split rings with vmc hooks and 80 lb plus split rings.
The real truth is tho, there are so many variables to having success. The real key is fish every spot that looks promising in as many different situations as possible til you find a thread (e.g. high tide or low, incoming or outgoing, topwater or subsurface, day or night etc). Change lures frequently til you find one that works and as a general rule you don't want to retrieve a lure AGAINST the current. It might work once in a while but more often than not your lure will go untouched. Best of luck..... tight lines!

#4 ·
Striper fishing is highly addictive . Best advice I can give you is don't start!! Once you catch your first striper on a lure you will be hooked for life ...........
Your family will wonder where the hell you are and your sleep habits will turn you into Robert Deniro in Taxi Driver. Your favorite phrase will begin and end with tide charts and the cologne of choice will be fresh fish e du toilette. Just remember when you find your self on that lonely rock in the pitch black of night and you land your first thirty pounder you will chase that high again and again........ I warned you
:smiley17e:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.