Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Leader length when using Sea Strike #1 Planer

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  FastWayFishing 
#1 ·
As the title states I plan on running a Sea Strike #1 planers. Attached to the end of the planer will be a snap swivel and then the fluorocarbon leader.

On the Sea Strike website they recommend a 20-30 feet leader.

This seems rather long to me and I'm not sure how easy this would be to land a fish, once the planer reaches the rod tip there is still 20-30 feet of line to pull in.

Does anybody on here use this type of trolling set-up? If so what are your recommendations for leader length.

#4 ·
Not sure exactly how your boards are set up the photos didn't show up in the post for me, but the boards I run use a clip on the other end of the board than the side that slides up and down the line, what I do is twist the line into a loop and then put the loop sideways in the clamp so that when the fish hits it, it pulls out of the clamp, that way the board will come loose from the side with the loop and slide down to the leader when the fish strikes. That way the distance of line used doesn't matter. Hope this helps.

BTW...Trey803..thats south Carolina 803 right ?? my stomping grounds too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.