Tide Question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Official Member

Default Tide Question

I am trying to understand the tide and the effects on the fish, specifically, how much time each part of the tide takes and what happens durring each phase.
I was looking at a tide table that offered times for various places along the first few miles of a large, local river. I noted that the high tide times for a spot just a few miles up river were an hour and a half, consistantly, than at the mouth. I also noted that each tide, from low to high or vice-versa took 6 1/2 to almost 8 hours at either location.
Once the tide reaches "high" or low it prety much stops flowing all together, right. The water just sits for a while before it sloshed back the other way right? This is what is called "slack", right? This period of time will decrease the further up-river you are, Rrght? Fish eat more while this tide is moving, either sweeping bait into the river or out to sea. Right?

Now, time of day also effects fish feeding, does it not? Sunrise is best, sunset next best, then night THEN daylight. Right? Is time of day more important than tide?

I know that weather and temperature are also factors but I am trying to come up with the most basic of plans. I heard some place that freshwater fish, of all things, are effected by tides and will tend to feed more based on incomming or outgoing tide too.

Thanks for the help,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Tide Question

Definately on the right track. Takes some time to put it all together. The presence of bait is probably just as or more important than any other factor. Moving water also on the list.
Bait in this context also mean crab, clams worms and muscles that might aslo be unexposed.

I took the time to add a section on understanding tides as a primer to try and help to piece together what it all means. For example tide heights are two feet in florida and the tidal heights are over 40 feet in the Bay of Fundy Nova Scotia.

(Freshwater also is influenced by gravitational pull but to a minute degree compared to the large bodies of water in the Ocean. The great lakes change by inches but are also wind aided and appear sometimes stronger. Research is here somewhere on that as well)

There's some educational and informative information in here than can explain it all. Based on the moon and the distance form the area in question from the gravitational pull of the moon and to a lesser degree the sun.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=40

See here What are tides what causes tides.

Ask your self these questions for the stripers advanced level course. Lets use this for understanding diffrenced in both. Tide is verticle movement while current is hiorizontal movement.
What does the moving water mean in relation to fish? How does the current flow. Where does it come from and how much of an influence is that going to have on the area I'll be fishing.? Will it be better or worse when the current is raging? Where can i put myself in the best locotion to optimize my offering and what am i using to put in the strike zone?. Where is the strike zone?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Definately on the right track. Takes some time to put it all together. The presence of bait is probably just as or mor important than any other factor.
Bait can aslo mean crabs and clams and muscles that are buried.

I took the time to add a section on understanding tides and what it all means. For example its two fweet in florida and the tidal heights are over 40 feet int he bay of fundy.
heres research info in there than can explain it all. Based on the moon and the distance form the area in question from the gravitational pull of the moon and to a lesser degree the sun.
Jim, I saw that link and actually visited it but it was a little more than I can chew right now: very comprehensive. I'm just trying to get a little basic understanding, as in all aspects of this new sport, from which to build more knowledge later on.
Unfortuneately, I know that it is all interconnected and that a low tide fish feeding on sand worms isn't likely to eat my surface lure. Honestly, I'm not sure how we catch any thing with the constant rain of "things" that fall from the sky onto them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM

No doubt all the info takes time to assimilate. And as you'll find out entire lifetimesar edevoted to this endevour.
So without explaining it from scratch not that I could anyway. or prtend i more than any ome else let me try the Basics first.
Most coastal areas, with some exceptions, experience two high tides and two low tides every lunar day.
Unlike a solar day, a lunar day is 24 hours and 50 minutes. The lunar day is 50 minutes longer than a solar day because the moon revolves around the Earth in the same direction that the Earth rotates around its axis. So, it takes the Earth an extra 50 minutes to “catch up” to the moon
Because the Earth rotates through two tidal “bulges” every lunar day, coastal areas experience two high and two low tides every 24 hours and 50 minutes. High tides occur 12 hours and 25 minutes apart. It takes six hours and 12.5 minutes for the water at the shore to go from high to low, or from low to high.
This link is pretty awesome.
What are tides what causes tides.

To answer the second part of the questions Ill say. Striped Bass like to feed on the flats close to shore early and late. They also enjoy frothy surf and good cover. They can be found mostly near or in moving water. They are nocturnal predators and they move stealthily and so should you.
Thats not to say they cant be caught during the day because they can. They will no doubt be near the food source. The Bait. and proper water temps. 50 to 70 degrees.
If your happy with dinks you'll catch lots of fish. They feed all the time and tolerate high water temps light and noise even.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Official Member

deleated by me
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

wise and snappy answers will get you nothing more than silence from me, I dont have the time nor the patients to deal with it.... good luck on your endevours.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Grumpy I dont get it. You just received some of the most useful information your likely to see ever get regarding tidal movemnt and fish movent yet you picked it apart like it was some friend of yours that you felt the need to be wise about.

Did I misinterpret it or not?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Grumpy I dont get it. You just received some of the most useful information your likely to see ever get regarding tidal movemnt and fish movent yet you picked it apart like it was some friend of yours that you felt the need to be wise about.

Did I misinterpret it or not?
Yes.
That was not my intent at all and it has beend deleated, a personal appology issued to Roc and a general one to you and all the others who have been VERY,VERY helpfull to me.