New to Staten Island fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Default New to Staten Island fishing

Hi i'm trying to get some info on where to go for some surf striper fishing, ive never been to staten island but ive been striper fishing most of my life and was wondering if someone could point me towards a good beach or pier out there accessable from the ferry from manhattan???

And maybe what's working best right now

any help is appreciated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Staten Island access

Jk

Have you checked out the S.I. Page yet?
I have some info on there that your asking about. https://www.stripers247.com/Statenisland.htm

The best place for you to go is not the closest to the ferry but it has all the elements you need. and you wont need a pass. Great Kills park (gateway natl rec) I used to take the bus there from the ferry when I was a kid. It used to be the number 103 bus, the numbers on the buses has since changed but not the route. I dont know what the number is these days. The ride is about 40 minutes and the walk into the spot is almost 2 miles. It would be better by car. Crooks point is the best place for bunker snagging. It is at the end of the road that leads in to the park. In the summer they would arrive like clockwork at 5 in the afternoon. Dont fish there for striper unless it is at night because of the boat traffic, go to the back of the harbor, this is where the big uns herd bunker in. If you fish crooks point cast past the bouys into the channell. Or fish the beach side, it has some deep water at the other side of the shifting sand bars.

The pier close to the ferry I never fished. Right next to the Staten Island yankees stadium. Its high tech with rod holders and such but it looks like it would be a pain to hoist a striper up especially at low tide. probably great for other smaller species like fluke. The bridge guys use some sort of device to bring their fish up off of a bridge, a kind of hoisting outfit pully system and baskets. There are quite a few rocky areas along the north and east shore. Stripers can be taken anywhere along this stretch of New york harbor. Accessing the locations takes some experience though. And you can loose a lot of your rigs if you dont pay attention to your retrieval when re baiting. Reel in high and fast. I will be posting more here. Chubrok, bunkerbob, striperdawg and lanaforge go often on S.I. If you could hook up with one of us at the ferry at a certain time we'll show you some spots.

These guys would be glad to help you. Everytime Im there they bring a new guy or two with them who catches his first striper and is hooked forever.

Ill be on the Island next weekend, perhaps I can look for you near the ferry. Youll be easy to spot carrying a fishin pole.
Jim
Old 05-10-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Thanks Man!

that sounds great. so crooks point is the spot to get the bunker? i'll be in a car i think so do i need some sorta stiicker to park down there or is there just a daily parking fee or free?

I think i may ride out there saturday, get some bunker, ice them down and head out there sunday around 3am or so because the weather looks alittle better for stripers on sunday.

Where have you guys been catching them lately?

I have a car so i would like to check a few spots out this weekend to get my bearings for the area.

Maybe i'll see you guys out there this weekend

Thanks for the info
Old 05-11-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Crooks point

Jake

You can get in to the beach and park up until dusk without a permit but to get to crooks your supposed to have the decal on your bumper. Even in the day time. You can park near the beach and walk in, but at night you need the sticker for anywhere in the park.

If your gonna ice them rather than live line them, You can get some fresh bunker at Michael bait & tackle on mansion Avenue off of Hyland Blvd. Tell Joe or Michael Stripers247.com sent you. he'll take care of you.

To get to Michaels make a left out of thge park and go about a mile to cleveland avenue and make a left down towards the marinas, Michaels is the next block over. I send you to Michaels because he sells everyone fresh bait, not just his steady customers like some of the other shops in the area.

Two spots in particular from the shore

The back of the Great Kills Harbor and Near Fort wadsworth on the eastern shore. There are a few honey holes in the area.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:42 AM

Default thanks

thanks again

i'll probably be out there saturday evening till sunday morning

look for a guy with an LA dodgers hat on
Old 05-11-2004, 11:42 AM

Default one more thing...

could you recomend any gear to bring along besides the obvious???
Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 PM

Default GEAR

Bug spray, Flashlight, chap stick. Not so obvious but necessary. Read this article on Preparing to catch a striper.
www.stripers247.com/Catchingastripedbass.htm
Old 05-11-2004, 04:09 PM

Default ...

ah bug spray would prolly help

whats the terrain on the beach like? sandy or rocky?

thanks again
Old 05-11-2004, 04:27 PM

Default TERRAIN

Jake

Crooks point is nice, its all sand, bring a beach chair or a bucket to sit on. The back of the harbor may be a little bit crowded, but there is a grassy area with plenty of room off of a bulhead, but deeper in towards Hyland Blvd and better, is more estuary like with eel grass, soft mud and mussle & clam beds. Here you might want boots or waders. especially low tide.

The north east shore is horribly rocky, easy to twist an ankle at night.
The beaches are all easier to negotiate.

Whatever you do, dont get bug spray on your hands and then handle the bait, stripers wont touch it. I use rubber gloves to bait my hooks. Skin so soft from AVON is the best product I've found out there for the bugs. If the wind isnt blowing they can be a problem.

See ya in the surf.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM

ok man thanks for tips
Old 05-11-2004, 05:05 PM

sorry to bother you again man :roll:

do you know where to get a parking sticker for night for great kills???

do you have to send away or can you just stop by and pick one up???
Old 05-11-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Parking sticker

No Bother at all. I live for this. You can get one at any gateway ranger station. The one on Staten island is Miller field on the bottom of New Dorp Lane near the beach. It is an quaint looking white conference house. The only house you will see in the field. The field is right next door to New Dorp high school. I think Riis Park and Floyd bennet field also have one in brooklyn but I,m not certain. The addresses and phone #s are here at this url www.stripers247.com/NewYork.htm

scroll to the bottom of the page. it is also listed on the Staten Island page.
jim
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM

once again

thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 01:06 PM

Default ferry

hey please let me know next time you guys head out to the spot by the verazanno, i would like to meet up with you guys on the ferry

what kinda of tackle you guys use down there, surf rods?

jake
Old 05-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Default jake

No need for a surf rod cause there is not much surf. 1 to 2 foot waves. 7 or 8 foot pole will do. Need heavier test here no less than 20 pounds. Also carry extra rigs. Most guys spend more time out of the water retying hooks. I use bank sinkers and break away fish finders. That way if the sinker gets hung up you dont loose the whole rig. I call the sea strikker a breakaway because it tends to break at the loop rather than hold rocks. Tying the sinker on instead of clipping it achieves the same purpose. Anyway. 6/0 to 8/0 hooks (great for bunker heads) a barrell swivel and 3 feet of heavy mono or flourocarbon leader. Im going down there with 1 pole with braided line this time. Ill use 25 pound mono on the other.
Seems like Ill probably need some heavier than 3 oz sinkers because the current here seems to run faster. We hope to get there for tomorrow night. Probably be too many people at this spot. Even though it is treacherous terrain. (more than 2 is too many for me) But there is miles of beach and the fishable rocky area is less than a half mile long. See ya out there