Night time the right time? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Night time the right time?

Next time out on the beach we're planning to stay well after dark. This will be a first and I was hoping you guys could give me some info on what I shouldn't forget to bring.

Does anyone use those red eyes? We'll be bait fishing and I'm going to need a way to see the rod tip.

Will a fire spook the fish?

How about a head lamp, any good?

Any other tips or advise would be great.

Thanks, Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 AM

Hey Mr. Mom,
I've never used those rod tips,,,, but I'll tell you for sure that around here I'd never go out at night without a headlamp, some DEET, and a bucket of eels.

One night of trying to hold a flashlight in your teeth (that was just held in the hand you cut bait with) while you're trying to untangle a wind knot, or unhook a fish, and you'll be wishing you had a headlamp. Invaluable.

I'd forget a fire if I were you. That's just my :twocents: . Hope it helps!!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
Hey Mr. Mom,
I've never used those rod tips,,,, but I'll tell you for sure that around here I'd never go out at night without a headlamp, some DEET, and a bucket of eels.

One night of trying to hold a flashlight in your teeth (that was just held in the hand you cut bait with) while you're trying to untangle a wind knot, or unhook a fish, and you'll be wishing you had a headlamp. Invaluable.

I'd forget a fire if I were you. That's just my :twocents: . Hope it helps!!
Thats worth more than :twocents: to me.

The fire is mainly to keep the kids interested, we could roast marshmellows etc. If it will kill the fishing I'll come up with another plan.

Any tips on were I can get eels near IBSP? I havn't looked for them since we were in Asseteague so I'm not sure if most bait shops carry them.

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Sorry, I don't know your area at all, but I think that jbrotz24 fishes that area a lot, he might know of a place to get eels down there.

About the fire. I have no clue whether or not it would affect the fishing, and if you're going to have other people around to tend it and you can keep it up the beach a little ways it might not be a bad idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of you fishing by yourself and I've seen more than one fire start to get out of control because the guy who started it was paying attention to his fishing and forgetting that he had a fire going. I know when I'm fishing the last thing I want to be worrying about is a fire.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 AM

Mr. Mom ,
Check out Betty and Nick's. I was down there last weekend and they had just got some in. They were also getting fresh bunker too. If you need clams though, go elsewhere. There's were real stinky. And I've heard from others that there clams were real bad smelling before that. Good guy that works in there and they're prices weren't too bad. It'll be on yuour right hand side after 7-11 driving towars the beach. One of the last bait shops you'll see if not the last.
As for the fire, I've seen guys have it up on the beach and still catching fish. As long as you don't have to worry about the fire and fishing cause you have others, I think you'll do fine w/fire.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know your area at all, but I think that jbrotz24 fishes that area a lot, he might know of a place to get eels down there.

About the fire. I have no clue whether or not it would affect the fishing, and if you're going to have other people around to tend it and you can keep it up the beach a little ways it might not be a bad idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of you fishing by yourself and I've seen more than one fire start to get out of control because the guy who started it was paying attention to his fishing and forgetting that he had a fire going. I know when I'm fishing the last thing I want to be worrying about is a fire.
[/i]
My wife will be with us, we're going out over the weekend. She'll be with the kids and fire. I'll be rigging, baiting, casting, freeing birds, baitng , casting, and then she'll grab the rod that gets hit..... :violin:

(these icons are great I even get a violin guy for my sob story :yeah: )

Thanks for the info, Dennis
Old 07-11-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mom
I even get a violin guy for my sob story
It ain't a sob story yet my friend! That could just as easily be a fiddle playing a catchy tune in celebration of a great night's fishing!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrotz24
Mr. Mom ,
Check out Betty and Nick's. I was down there last weekend and they had just got some in. They were also getting fresh bunker too. If you need clams though, go elsewhere. There's were real stinky. And I've heard from others that there clams were real bad smelling before that. Good guy that works in there and they're prices weren't too bad. It'll be on yuour right hand side after 7-11 driving towars the beach. One of the last bait shops you'll see if not the last.
As for the fire, I've seen guys have it up on the beach and still catching fish. As long as you don't have to worry about the fire and fishing cause you have others, I think you'll do fine w/fire.
Hey Joe,

Fire it is, my wife will be with us.

I know Betty and Nicks, we entered their contest. I think thats what gave me the wammy, no fish since then

I'm going to try eels and bunker if they have them. Otherwise we'll double back and pick up some clams elsewhere if theirs stink.

We normally stop at the third place after the bridge, can't think of the name. It's right next to another one. We were told that it's run by the son of the people that own Betty and Nicks.

I talked to a guy on another forum that has a shop in Brick. I've been on his website and it looks like a nice place. Fresh Bunker for a $1.50 and 24hr fresh clams. I'm probably going to check his shop out this weekend. Then I'll have the Island to shop if I don't do well there.

Dennis
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mom
I even get a violin guy for my sob story
It ain't a sob story yet my friend! That could just as easily be a fiddle playing a catchy tune in celebration of a great night's fishing!!!

:wtg:
Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Aren't clams supposed to stink?? I've never gotten clams that didn't have a nice ripe smell.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Aren't clams supposed to stink?? I've never gotten clams that didn't have a nice ripe smell.
I've gotten some that are mixed in with the others that stunk. But normally the ones I've gotten have smelled good or had no smell. I've discarded the stinky ones.

When I've had to resort to the fresh in the bag they've smelled great, very fresh, good enough to eat (but I held back, needed the bait ).

But I'm no expert, just what I've seen and smelled so far.

Dennis
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Night fishing (for bass) is definately the way to go once the water temp climbs...

As far as light choices go, headlams are the most convienient sorce of light on the beach...as long as you DO NOT shine them on the water..

Personaly I prefer a small light put out by Pal Light,it uses a single 9 volt transistor radio batttery and is water resistant and rubber coated it is just a little larger than the battery and can be held easily between ones teeth...

If your entertaining the family,bunker or herring chunks(or strips) fished on a fishfinder with a cork(to keep crabs from stripping the bait) will probably be the way to go,you might consider picking up some worms,either blood worms or clam worms,they seem to be the forgotten bait....

Although i fish exclusivly with eels at night,they may prove a little much to handle being that this is your first trip at night and you will be entertaining the wife and kids....

the small light sticks for the rod tips may give you a slight advantage in seeing the strike.... although I now fish from a boat,I aprecieate it when the rod tips are lit,it lets me know which section of the beach is enhabited by surf casters, but in your case the fire will be the key...

Items to remember,spare leaders,make them up ahead of time and keep them singularly in zip lock bags, a hook disgorger and a pair of pliars,a coeman gas lantern can be a big help,more than one flash light..just in case, a light jacket or wind breaker for the younuns,it get chilly on the beach after the sun goes down.... a 6' lenght of 1/4" rope...just in case you have to drag your catch home ( or tie the wife up if the bite is hot and SHE want to get her beauty rest),a bait rag,use a shower curtain ring to attach it to your belt, the camera,,,pictures will last a life time...even if the fish dont bite..

My .02,

Rock
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM

All I know is that the better smelling ones have done far better for me when it comes to the fish, oh yeah the stinky ones were good for sandshark's. Haven't had much luck with the stinky ones.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Stinky clams.....I wont go there..
Old 07-11-2005, 10:53 AM

The Surfcaster Master,, King of Clams,, from Rhode Island,, our very own Briggs (shown with his 50+ pounder on the Home Page) should speak up about this. If I'm remembering correctly, he's mentioned that the stink is actually good, creates a nice little chum slick of sorts. The smell will draw fish that would have otherwise missed the bait if going strictly by sight.

Personally, I've never caught a fish on clams, but Briggs has a reputation for beaching some awesome cows each year on clams, so I'll have to defer this to him.