Block Island - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Block Island

Since I started striper fishing this year I've wanted to try to get out to Block Island. I actually have the chance to go this Sunday. But I have a few questions.

1. I want to bring my vehicle but wonder if it is absolutely necessary....I am thinking it is

2. Is it worth it to go just for the day time...basically there 8-5....for the day time fishing? Or should I take the Saturday night ferry and sleep in the vehicle so I can get in some night time fishing?

3. With all the reports of fishermen being robbed is that something to consider when travelling to Block Island?

If I do go I have room for one more if any one is interested.....PM me

Thanks
DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Block Island

Is it worth it, hell yeah! Was there yesterday, in a boat, but we started fishing at about 6:45 AM and had 58 fish in the boat by 11:30 AM. They are everywhere!!!! Read the On The Water fishing report from RI/Conn. It says the beach action during the day is amazing! I had a friend try to make a reservation on the ferry to bring over a vehicle and they basicall told him, yeah, maybe next season....don't know if you've looked into that. As far as getting robbed, I would think the risk is MUCH lower in the "high rent" disttrict of RI. Don't know for sure but that would be my educated guess for BI. Also, if you get your car over, DO NOT get caught sleeping in it. From what I hear, the seasonal rent-a-cop brigade, enforces the no sleeping in car or camping ordinance pretty strict. I would have to say though, it is definately worth the effort to get over there and wet a line. This year has been insanely good fishing! I've been over there 4 times (in the boat) and have caugth over 200 fish, big ones! Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info

Just called them and they have no room for vehicles this weekend

I do have a boat but have never been out in the ocean before with it and it's not really set up to fish like that.

Still I may go without the vehicle. May be worth the walking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Blessing of the Fleet in Point Jude this weekend.
Good luck trying to do anything in the area. (Like hop a ferry)
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Already got my ferry tickets. Going early and coming back late so hopefully we won't get caught in the fleet blessing at point jude
Old 07-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Striper Hunter

Just checked out the schedule for the blessing of the fleet. Seems like everything happens pretty much on Friday night and Saturday. So going to Block on Sunday should be okay
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Sunday

Somehow got the idea you were considering Saturday night to Sunday.
Sunday is just a normal tourist day down there. Just the normal summertime "Lost in Space" should be relevant.

Bring the big jar of "Good Humor" & "Patience of Jove".

For traffic and parking,,, if the weather is reportedly to be good,,,
8:00 AM is not early on Rt 1 & 108.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Gary. I was wondering about the traffic. I know it gets real heavy travelling down routes 1 and 4 and 108 when you get down towards those beach areas. Planning on being at the ferry by 6:30 so hopefully I'll avoid most of the traffic.

I'll go earlier if need be to be on the safe side. Do you think that is early enough to avoid the heavy traffic?

The last ferry back should be interesting as well. Wonder how many people will be stewed and stumbling...

Thanks
DR
Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Thanks Gary. I was wondering about the traffic. I know it gets real heavy travelling down routes 1 and 4 and 108 when you get down towards those beach areas. Planning on being at the ferry by 6:30 so hopefully I'll avoid most of the traffic. Should be more than fine.

I'll go earlier if need be to be on the safe side. Do you think that is early enough to avoid the heavy traffic?

The last ferry back should be interesting as well. Wonder how many people will be stewed and stumbling... Probably most!

Thanks
DR
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Just wanted to share a few of my experiences from my 1st trip to Block Island

I was able to talk my Dad into going although he is having back surgery soon and was unable to walk as much and as strong as he normally can. He is 76. This was the best part of the day just being able to fish and be with my Dad all day

We arrived early for the 1st high speed ferry over. It was pouring at that time at Point Jude. After getting our tickets we started to walk over to the ferry. It's probably about 30 yards. Somehow my cell phone pops off my waist and slides along the pave into the one and only puddle in the area that's 3" deep and my cell phone fries out. I am pissed as I missed many great chances to take pics of my Dad fishing on beaches and the lighthouses and the stairs at Mohegan Bluffs

The car rental place....Aldo's....said to call them when we arrive and they will pick us up. We call and there is only 1 kid working and he can not get out to pick us up so we take a taxi and go get our rental.

We fished several areas. Southeast light, Black Rock Beach, North Light, and the Coast Guard Station. No luck at any location. But no one was catching anything. The most people we ran into fishing from shore was at the coast guard station. Other places there were very few people fishing. There were tons of boats offshore that must have been having some success because they seemed to stay in those areas for quite a while....especially off the north shore. But there was no bite from shore and I saw people plugging like us and also using live bait and cut bait. Nothing was happening from shore

Go to return vehicle and the kid ( different kid ) says he can not give us a ride to the ferry because he is all alone. I am pissed. I spoke to the owner when I made the reservation and he said they provide rides both ways....as does the other companies I had called as well. So the kid calls the owner and tells him he is shutting down and giving us a ride so we can catch our ferry...nice job by the kid to so this. However I will not use Aldo's car rental next time I go back to the Block

Well I scratched an itch by getting out to Block. But the fever is still there to get into some stripers there. Maybe we'll charter a boat next time although I do get sea sick.

All in all it was a great day spent fishing with my dad. Something I will cherish. If we had caught any stripers it would have been the icing on the cake but it was not meant to be. Still a great summer's day

Next trip with my Dad will be someplace where he can sit and fish without having to do so much walking.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
First Mate

This was Saturdays action with over 30 plus fish released form thirty five to fourty eight pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group_shot.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	11519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick35_edited-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	11520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Randy37_edited-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	11521   Click image for larger version

Name:	37lber_edited-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	11522  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Some of my best fishing days,,,, were fishless also.

Glad to hear you made the best of it and had a good time.
If you could of stayed until after the fog rolled in I bet you wouldn't of been fishless.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you'd make out.

Rebel-
Nice catch!
Sunday night (last night) was killer too.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Striper Hunter

As a 1st timer to the Block I've got to wonder about the boaters in the area where the ocean comes into Great Salt Pond at the Coast Guard Station. At times the boat traffic was real heavy there and I would say that most...not all...but most did not observe the no wake area whatsoever. There were many, many violators but there were 2 serious violators in my opinion. The 1st was 3 people in a small rubber dinghy who would troll into the channel all the way to the beginning of the pond and then kill the engine and drift back out the channel to the ocean. Boats going in both directions are all scattering trying to avoid these morons. The 2nd was the Montauk ferry called the Viking Superstar. This thing comes chugging in from the open ocean towards the channel where there are already 4 good size boats in front of it in or entering the channel. This idiot decides to cut the corner going inside the 1st channel buoy on the wrong side and is still motoring pretty good. The 1st 2 boats in his path get as far out of his way as they can and as this idiot approaches the next 2 boats they have to slow down and move over to avoid a collision as they would have hit if they did not as the ferry was having to make a sharp angle to get onto the proper side of the last channel marker. All the people fishing from shore or out in the water a few feet had to back up to avoid this guy's huge wake. And he kept it motoring right through the pond. The captain of that boat needs a good talking to....what a major aho
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

The Viking Fleet really? Interesting. My mom always said if I don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. I will let you run a search on this one.