overwhelmed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default overwhelmed

So this being my first year actively going after stripers i have had ok luck with it which is what i expected being my first year, having only gotten 5 schoolies this year with nothing bigger than 26" its been kind of frustrating. I got all of them down at the Canal and only have been fishing one spot and somewhat have figured out what works with this one spot. Having made 10 trips down to the Canal from Boston its been frustrating getting skunked more than a few times and i have been wanting to try some new spots along the canal but to be honest i am intimidated by how much area there is to fish, like i said the one spot i fish is all i have even tried down at the Canal. Now that its July i was wondering... from what i hear its going to be night fishing all the way down on the Canal. Just looking for a little help on when to fish and what to look for at night, not asking for any secrets just a general push in the right direction, thanks everyone for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default Re: overwhelmed

Don't get discouraged....it took 8 weeks fishing down there to get into the fish that I did this morning.....8 weeks of bum mornings and ok nights....the big fish are there...me and a friend of mine did 156#'s worth this morning....ill show you the pics if we bump into each other down there....it was remarkable. Anyhow take a look at your techniques and what you think has worked or not worked....if your catching schoolies then take the risk of a skunking and scale up on the lure size as I mentioned before....taking a look at the log (which you should keep) 82 keepers down there so far with 12 being over 20#'s caught by my buddy and myself....mostly during tide changes that are aligned with wind shifts....there is some larger bait around now so go out there and hit it. Get the biggest swimmers you possibly can and get out there....I will be there tomorrow morning!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
First Mate

Wow thats awsome news to hear jon! I am looking foward to my cape cod trip, counting down the days now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Official Member

I will also be out tomorrow AM off MA Maritime. I am going for broke and heading into Marion for pogies (bunker, menhaden) and then heading over. I will let you know how I do.

JD
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Official Member

Well Mike at M&Ds will be happy, all my soft shads are tailless. This morning was a bluefish wonderland with birds everywhere. I decided not to fight it and started throwing crippled herring and had fun with it. One little bugger nicked my finger, no worse then a braid bite. Hope you guys nailed a couple stripers.

JD
Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Talking Re: overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar23617 View Post
So this being my first year actively going after stripers i have had ok luck with it which is what i expected being my first year, having only gotten 5 schoolies this year with nothing bigger than 26" its been kind of frustrating. I got all of them down at the Canal and only have been fishing one spot and somewhat have figured out what works with this one spot. Having made 10 trips down to the Canal from Boston its been frustrating getting skunked more than a few times and i have been wanting to try some new spots along the canal but to be honest i am intimidated by how much area there is to fish, like i said the one spot i fish is all i have even tried down at the Canal. Now that its July i was wondering... from what i hear its going to be night fishing all the way down on the Canal. Just looking for a little help on when to fish and what to look for at night, not asking for any secrets just a general push in the right direction, thanks everyone for the help
You know there is water in Boston as well. I mean, no fish in Boston!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Talking Re: overwhelmed

i heard there are some fish in boston too , Me personally i use the boston area when i dont really have time to go anywhere else, but the canal is a better fit for me i guess, i am going to try both this week and see how it goes. Thanks jon though for all the help appreciate it and everyone else
Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Don't get discouraged,sound's like you really enjoy fishing for Bass but it all comes with time.

Here's some examples,
I use to work in Southie I would get up 5 hrs before I normally would have to for work I would fish the waters around Southie before work,I put my time in......7 yrs worth I had most of that place down to a science, as to what to use(color,size,what combo to mix up) during what time of the summer and what stage of the tide.

Then I started to fish the Canal!Man your chance's of catching Bigger fish are much much greater bso the fishing fool that I am, I would get up @ 1:00 drive to the Canal fish then drive to Boston work all day then driver home this was a 130 mile trip I would do this 2-3 times a week every other week.
I've been fishing the Canal for only 10 yrs now and theres always something new to learn.

Hang in there and enjoy the ride,you won't forget these days and it will pay off

5/0
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Veteran Elite

5/0 where EXACTLY do you fish? And how do you get waders that will fit your ass as perfect as the ones you have.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Wow thats awsome news to hear jon! I am looking foward to my cape cod trip, counting down the days now...
Yesterday's news....fished this am and results were not the same (but still ok). Therefore if you base your trip on the news I gave you could be in for a rude awakening....the canal has many variables to contend with as it relates to being successful there!