Anyone catching any freshwater species? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Anyone catching any freshwater species?

Or is the weather where you are just to crappy. (pun intended)
The humidity is pretty unbearable but the storm that just rumbled through the north east has cooled it a little bit. Hopefully the fishing will pick up some. I need a fish, any fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Anyone catching any freshwater species?

these guys are still biting
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Nice carp

I blew it completely - there's a mulberry tree overhanging the water at a lake with big carp in it and I missed the berries falling off the tree this year.

You want stupid fishing this can't be beat. The biggest kind of carp sit under the tree waiting for a berry to drop. When it does 2 or 3 at a time will rush it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 PM

We fished and fished for stripers in the Hudson...we got skunked. We fished in the lower Esopus Creek (a tributary off the Hudson) and my Fiance' (Ed)caught an 18 incher on a 5 inch rubber minnow!!! Figures huh? I got a 14 inch smalley...let em' both go.
We have had more action in the upper Esopus with crappie and black bass. Ed caught 2 largemouths on a flyrod with a poppin' bug and 1 on a floating rubber snake. I caught a crappie and a largemouth on a jerkbait. Caught about 20 crappie on jigs and all were over 9 inches so this was a pretty good day considering we were only there for a couple of hours. Headin' out at 5:30 tomorrow morning and hope to come home with dinner!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

if you want to catch some small stripers head up to troy dam there is still some fish there.....if you want to catch the big ones come up my way in mid april ...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

thanx suds yeah it was a nice carp but there are bigger ones in the river i missed 3 others that day all on out going tide to... go figure
Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

some decent bucket mouths down the street from my house earlier this week. the heavy rain really stirred up the muck in the pond and messed up the fishing last night...but all in all monday and tuesday nights were good using jitterbugs. ive had the fishing itch so bad for the past month i had to try and scratch it somehow. im hoping to make a salt journey really soon...i have not been since june 15th.....im am going insane and having serious mental issues trying to cope with the lack of stripers on the end of my line.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM

I just crossed over the Delaware on my way back from Philly this morning. the weather has broken humidity wise. (at least temporarily) but the Delaware is Moca dark chocolate. woh.
The lakes are clearer though.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 AM
Striper Hunter

Went to Beltzville lake Penna. on 25/26 July, boated 4 nice stripers, had 3 spit the hook, also caught 1 small pike,2 smallmouth bass, and 2 catfish, one over 10 LBS.

By the way; thats the first time I was ever on that lake, so I don't think I did too bad. I will for sure go back, but its a 4 Hr. drive one way.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Striper Hunter

Maybe 4 hours one way, but stopping to pick me up on the way will only take a minute! Sounds like you tore 'em up esp. for first time there. How big were the stripes?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Striper Hunter

They wern't the big uns... there the ones that released themselves
just a few lil ones, one 27", and two round the 30 inch mark, then the monster came into the boat, a whole 11 incher. man, took me bout half an hr. to land that one(took 25 min. to stop laughin'). But like they always say, sure would have liked to seen the ones that got off. Had a great time, nice lake, lil small, only 1,000 acres. But plenty of fish.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i spent an hour at the local pond last night...i think i caught the same largemouth three times...
Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Captain Booty

We have been fishing Lake Champlain just outside Whitehall and have been Hammering all kinds of fish, Largemouth Bass, Sheepheads, Catfish, Perch, Whitebass,Bluegills and some nice Crappies!! Last week we found a spot that was unreal, Every cast someone catch some thing we landed about 60 fish in three hrs and never moved the boat!! The kids had a GREAT Time!! So did I!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i took a kid from work to the local pond last night to teach him topwater tactics from shore. i did my best to put him onto some big bucket mouths...he ended up with one about 1 1/2 lbs....i was feeling bad that there seemed to be nothing happening at the usual spots. he really wanted to see a big bass that i frequently tell him swim in that body of water. after almost two hours of walking the shoreline and one small fish to show for it... he begins to bust my nuts...moments later i answer the call with a fat 4+ pound bucket...needless to say the ball busting turned into "when are we going again"?....once hes confident night fishing for largemouths...i will graduate him into stripers...we may end up with another striper nut.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Been doing a number on smallmouth to 3 lbs in the mid-Delaware river on crickets and jigs.

Leaving tomorrow for 3 days of camping and fishing the river