Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from Memorial Day to Labor day - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from Memorial Day to Labor day

I thought that you folks might be interested to hear about a proposed new section of the Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They are considering other bans as well. It appears that the council is going to schedule a public hearing on March 17th. I don't know if you have a network or mailing list that you use but thought that you might have some interested members. 9 to 5 may not be the best time to fish but banning it altogether seems a little drastic.

Peter Toohey

Discussion with Action: Set a Public Hearing date
for March 17, 2009 to Amend Section 42-173 (Surfing-
Areas Where Prohibited); and Add Sections 42-112 (Beach
Rules) and 42-113 (Fishing).

Here's the article from the Journal Tribune. http://www.journaltribune.com/pastnews/2009/Feb2009/NEWS022709.HTML

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial D

Get involved or lose it guys. dont wait for someone else to do it. these ordinances are snuck in by politicians who pucker to the wealthy beach home owners everywhere.

Staff Writer Liz Gotthelf can be contacted at 282-1535, Ext. 325 or [email protected].

get some answers on the public hearing
Find out whats going on.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial D

What the ****, thats a bunch of bull. Being that I LIVE in OOB and fish the beache daily from Memorial Day well past Labor Day, this affects me greatly. I'll have to get a small group of local yokuls together and crash that party. Hey Gunny, I know this is more up your alley....any recomendations??? Never been to a town hall meeting, I dont know the in's and out's of how they work, and what I'd say in defense other than: Hey you can't do that, I fish down there damn it!!!! This just angers me to no end, I mean, what's the reasoning behind this and who benefits??? I usually hit the beach well after 5 p.m. and off b4 9 a.m. (there @ 4 a.m. for the most part) but that's more for my own peace of mind, not wanting to deal with the hustle and bustle during "peak hours." Be sure I'll do some reading up on this proposed propoganda and have immediately changed my plans for St Patrick's Day....a new kind of hell will be raised!!!! Thx for the info Jim, you da man!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM

I've fought and won this battle here in Jersey multiple times -
The Sandy Hook fence put up by the Coast Guard
The fence put up at Takanassee beach club by a developer
Two other spots that were kept off the internet and dealt with in private (too small to burn)
A few towns put out feelers to the DEP about banning fishing from jetties - we squashed that right quick (having a spy in the DEP is a good thing )

If it's a guarded swimming beach where public safety would be compromised by fisherman. - I wouldn't make a fuss because in that situation we shouldn't be there anyway and it's a fight you can't win.

However - if it's just some scumbags trying to keep you off "their beach" you should be able to fight and win.

The key to remember is "The Public Trust Doctrine" (do a google)

If any public money has ever been used to improve the beach then it's a very easy fight. They can't keep you off something you as a taxpayer financed.
If not then creating a stink large enough for the newspapers to notice works quite well. The internet is perfect for that.

Beginning with the internet the Sandy Hook fight picked up enough steam that with just a few well placed phone calls and e-mails it made it to the newspapers then onto the local radio and then onto the TV news.
Once that happened the politicians were quick to get on board, they smelled votes. Assemblyman Frank Pallone (who makes a living off the votes of surfers and fishermen) took the lead and set up meetings in his NJ office. We ended up with more access then we had when it all began
Having Assemblyman Saxon behind us, who chaired the committee that distributed the money to the Coast Guard didn't exactly hurt.

If your situation is being caused by big money property owners then the fight will be tougher. Politicians are adverse to going against possible political donors. You'll have to create a stink large enough that the pols will be afraid of losing votes more then losing the $$ - that's a pretty damned big stink.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

The woman who wrote the article was kind enough to respond to my inquiry and directed me to the OOB Website, where we can get the town councilor's e-mail addresses if you want to contact them to make sure.
Of the time and date of the hearing
Looks like March 17th at 7PM

http://oobme.virtualtownhall.net/Pag..._Council/index

[email protected]

Ok guys maybe you want to mobilize a voice at this town meeting.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

If it's a guarded swimming beach where public safety would be compromised by fisherman. - I wouldn't make a fuss because in that situation we shouldn't be there anyway and it's a fight you can't win
been to old orchard beach lots of times. this is gonna be a tough one for them. could very well wind up like seaside with areas to fish (instead of swim) but the water is nowhere near as hazardous so the whole beach is open. really big tourist destination and i really didn't fish that beach as there were so many productive spots other than that. anyway, i would start by going to the marina in bath/york/wells/etc. and local baitshops because before ya know it this will slip right through the cracks and york beach will be next *not that that was a productive spot anyway" at either point at the saco and the scarborough is prolly where they wanna push the fisherman. who the hell wants to spend a small fortune to take the kids to the beach and deal with degenerates baitfishing along the shore. they leave nyc/boston/all over gods green earth for maine to have a reprieve from that riff raff. this is the mentality of anyone going there. you prolly can't even fish in peace off that pier of yours eh?>

Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM

Im not sure it would bother me all that much if I lived there because of the hours involved. I fish after 5 and before 9 anyway but its the principle of the thing. Give the council an inch without a beef and then they push for more. There are shops all along there that rent rods and stuff to the tourists. Thats a long stretch of beach. They have no parking signs everywhere and even planters on city property to keep visitors out of public land.
I think its worth the investigation and kicking up a stink IMO.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it would suck though. cuz it would mean towns up and down the state would then follow suit. i'm sure the schoolies cruise the beach from time to time and give some action but your right about the principle. i think they just wanna take the fishing aspect of the beach out of the equation, and when you look up and down the beach and all you see are beachgoers and no white buckets....

Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Sounds like an issue for a newly formed club that has a Chapter forming in Maine.
Might be a good time to introduce it to the state, and our stated goal of access rights.
Time for a road trip.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
Sounds like an issue for a newly formed club that has a Chapter forming in Maine.
Might be a good time to introduce it to the state, and our stated goal of access rights.
Time for a road trip.
You said it best in another post Gunny, with members of 247 at your back, anything is possible. I'm going to that meeting you can be sure of that......there is no question that a fair percentage of my tax dollars go towards the upkeep of OOB. Dont get me wrong I don't "usually" fish between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. during the summer but if I'm told I CAN'T because of some town ordinance that could change. This is just another case of government trying to intervene with common sense and I ain't gonna stand for it.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
you prolly can't even fish in peace off that pier of yours eh?>

FISH off the pier, you must be mad man??? I don't get close enough to piss on (or off) that pier in the summer, let alone drag all my gear and trusty white bucket onto it. Catering to the hordes of tourists to ensure they have a more-pleasurable stay is one thing, but telling me and the rest of the locals I CAN'T fish from a beach I support with MY tax dollars is quite another. It's a slap in the face if ya want my honest opinion, like my hard earned monies are great the other 9 months of the year but take a backseat come tourist season......well screw that!!! In the words of my neighbor John: "I demand the floor!!!"

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

okay!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	10012  
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Young salt

I don't even wanna know the context of that pic b4 it was photo chopped........it looks like a bad scene!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
The woman who wrote the article was kind enough to respond to my inquiry and directed me to the OOB Website, where we can get the town councilor's e-mail addresses if you want to contact them to make sure.
Of the time and date of the hearing
Looks like March 17th at 7PM

http://oobme.virtualtownhall.net/Pag..._Council/index

[email protected]

Ok guys maybe you want to mobilize a voice at this town meeting.

Thanks Jim email sent.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
. i'm sure the schoolies cruise the beach from time to time and give some action but your right about the principle. i think they just wanna take the fishing aspect of the beach out of the equation, and when you look up and down the beach and all you see are beachgoers and no white buckets....

Ya hit the nail right on the head zim, mostly schoolies patrolling the beaches out in front of me. Not the best place to latch onto cows, though they have been taken off that beach quite a few times. We get the occasional big boys but they're few and far between. Biddeford Pool is, IMO, the Mecca of fishing hot spots closest to my house, but it's not for the novice fisherman. I got my daughter hooked on the striper bug last season but she's not quite ready for Biddeford Pool and other spots I frequent.....nor are some of my buddies who come up, or the majority of the random 247 members that drop by!!! That beach provides a quick and easy means of fishing, and what it lacks in "quality" fish it more than makes up for in quantity. The principle of the matter is absolutely whats at stake here. Lest we forget the ever popular tune:

"This land is your land, this land is my land, from California, to the New York Island, from the red wood forest, to the gulf stream waters, this land was made for you and me"

StriperHyper ~ Will