dogfish?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 02-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Default dogfish??

Does anyone ever catch dogfish on purpose or by chance? If so do you have any tips or techniekes on how to catch them. Also are they part of the shark family because to me they looked pretty much like a small shark.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Dodfish show up precisely when you don't want them to...

Truthfully...offshore structure near the bottom or under a school of bait...
Bait is the only way to catch them...

For The Record: I HATE dogfish
Old 02-17-2005, 07:25 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Boston Boy hit that one on the head.... If you fish bait for cod or haddock or chunk for tuna anytime after mid june...how do you not catch them????????
At one point tuna fishing last year I was gaffing them off of the stern of the boat.....no bait needed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 01:28 PM

Another name for Dogfish is "Sand Shark". so yes, they part of the family.

Last season i caught one that measured 5 feet. what a pain in the a** it was getting the hook out, took 4 of us to hold it down.

Dogfish are one of the biggest pains in the a** there ever was. Always trying to avoid those damn things.

Back in my fathers days and all the other old schoolers, they used to catch a dogfish, and instead of throwing them back in the ocean, they'd breack their jaws and throw them up on the beach for the seagulls to chow. cruel sounding but thats the old dudes. just like Chawgies when your Tautog fishing, the old man used to take them off the hook and toss them up to the birds.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

Old 02-17-2005, 03:46 PM

When I was striper fishing for the evry first time this guy caught a dogfish and just kept it on the beach to let it die, then he just walked off. What an asshole, I don't care what it is, it is a fish and it does deserver to live.

People like that disgust me.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Yea they bark like a dog. When sand sharks are around usually there arent any other fish around. Its because probably, like skates they are smell feeders rather than site feeders. So Look for clearer waters.
I've seen them used for stock in fish stews. They looked delicious.
Kev. I have left skates on the beach. Ive also kicked em back into the surf. :oops: But your right. They dont deserve to die.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
Bait is the only way to catch them...
My nephew caught one on a sabiki rig, while we we're jiggin for macks. I thought he had 6 macks on his rig the way his pole bent over.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:44 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

i realy cant think of anyone who likes dogfish,tuna men loath them,I've caught them on cod jigs,sabiki rigs(you might as well throw the rig away,it will be toast) I've seen draggers fishing for herring have to use a come along to get the bag near enough to the boat to release the bag. I even caught one in 3' of water at night fishing stripers with live eels off the plum Island surf two seasons ago.
I got spined by one last september in the forearm,I still have a black dot and a lump on my arm from the phsyco little beast!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:45 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Yeah, how dont you catch them? Find a rock pile, start fishing for Stripers, end up with Dogfish, that = "Dogpile". They are a pain, but all you gotta do is move to a new spot.

Like all marine life, Dogfish are protected by laws too though. If you see people doing disturbing, mentally deranged things to marine life and/or nature, please report them. My opinion, if people can't respect nature, then they shouldn't be enjoying it in the first place. I'm a "hardliner"

Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
i realy cant think of anyone who likes dogfish
I dont get to the beach much since i live 1hr 15mins away so im pretty much happy with any fish i catch but of coarse stripers are the favorite

Thanks for the help[/quote]