Outfitting a Newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Outfitting a Newbie

As a newbie to fly fishing, I'm starting this thread for all you sharpies to post up tips on the basic gear (besides rod & reel) you like to have with you when targeting striped bass. Your top 5 flies, tools that you wouldn't want to be without, etc. Let's avoid debates about why what you recommend is better than what someone else recommended. I'm just curious to know what each of you, individually, have found through your experience to be something you would recommend for a newbie to the sport to have on hand.

Just ordered my first fly rod yesterday (Thanks Sprattoo!) and am looking forward to learning all I can.
Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Outfitting a Newbie

what rod and reel? plenty of advil and valium, a little xanex or prozac.

now onto flies/
1- deep water - clousers and half and halfs
2. mid water column -deceivers
3. midwater column - epoxy minnow/microbaits
4.topwater - gurglers/sliders
5 topwater - poppers & jointed poppers
a good selection of flies from spratto and jack gartside for boston/new england fishing is good.
there is no particular order here just what i suggest as a must have as i have a variety of flies from cinder worm to freezer burn(my polar bear fly)
you will want to consider the fact that my fishery is different than yours so a good idea would be to get a book like the orvis baitfish and thier imitations (20 bucks anywhere) and learn to tie. however, the predominant bait in your area at spots you fish from your kayak will vary. sandeels (which will fall under the #1 category) are your best fly to have imo. more on this later.
tools 1. sunglasses or a safety glass pair if dark. you can get a pair for 20 bucks at home depot and don;t look goofy. most important item you will ever have besides a spare rod in case your main one breaks for some god awful reason.
2. boga.
3. hook sharpener/stone
4. pliers of course
5. nail clippers
6 nail knot tool or a piece of metal tubing (in knot tying lesson i may have to hold here)
7. "loon" knot sense (to secure knots and sometimes repair fly;s)
8. small miniature comb or brush to untangle fly;s as they get shoddy (not a bad thing mind you)
9. spare spool with a sinking line at very least with an intermediate line
your spool on your rod should be a floating one unless your fishfinder dictates otherwise.
10 wader repair (loon makes a good one) you get a small hole in your waders and it can ruin your day. mark the affected area with a marker (which you should also carry) and then remove the hook. taking the hook out first will make it hard to find hole and a marker spot won;t make you a bad person with a stain little boy.
11. spare line and backing . many times you may not need it but it would serve you well in a situation where you get a line ruined on a bridge or piling where it cannot be salvaged and your intermediate or sinking line would be less effective or vice versa.
12. taping your fingers isn;t a bad idea or making a set of stripping fingers out of old gloves as if you are into fish in a good way playing a fish from a kayak you will want to hold your line while you play the fish( this will take time to become second nature as you will learn to play a fish with the longwand). but pulling on a fish after he;s taken you into the micron backing and having him run while you are on the line can do some damage in some cases when you least expect it.
13. plenty of leader and in some cases for you wire leader material.
you can buy and make your own haywire twist bluefish leaders (or i will send you some of mine) most of your expense will be on flurorocarbon leader material as you need to learn to make long tapered leaders (another job for me later)
cuban cigars (for when and if i come up)

Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
what rod and reel?
cuban cigars (for when and if i come up)
Good stuff Zim, Thanks!

Sprattoo hooked me up with a Cortland 9' 2pc 8wt combo with Crown Disc reel & WF8F 333+ line.

I'll see what I can do about the cubanos ... my old source in Kansas City is out of commission, but I'll do some digging. As soon as you can travel, let me know. I'll put you up for a weekend and we'll go fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

ya mon, will do.,i made it out to test the zim plug contest plugs but did a recon first and by the time i walked back to get the bag and start chuckin the sky went black and water fell everywhere. i feel i know which one is the winner and everybody deserves to win imo as they have put a little extra into the effort. my choices will be based on (well i will post it in the thread when i get it accomplished) i was waitin on one more plug but that will be my last test run as i already gave an extension for it. maybe in july if i can swing it.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 AM

Anyone else have some input?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 AM

The most important part of equipment, a good cooler, for liquid refreshments, lol. But seriously actually zimno coverd all of it pretty much, I'd add just a hood head light for nighstalking.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Fly fishin' geek

I might add a couple things to Zims list.

I always (or try to remember) to travel with a little tube of super glue.
It can be used for anything from fixing minor fly issues, to rod problems, coating nail knots that are just a little wierd, or a million other quick fixes that can get you by when on the water.
I just picked up 5 little tubes for $1.19 at the discount store. Doesn't have to be name brand, just the cyanoacrylic glue.

When I'm fishing stripers I also try to carry some fine wire leader material in case I hit some blues. Although they can wreck a fly, I feel more frustrated when I just start feeding them flies.

Oh, and add to the sunglasses a hat. Hat and sunglasses, two of the most important safety items. Nothing worse than turning to come back in after a good gust digs a fly into your head... worse could be your eye. The sunglasses HAVE to be polarized. I'm not talking UV protection, I look for glare reduction, I want to see down into the water as much as possible.

Needle nose pliers are nice too, or a pair of hemostats to dislodge hooks from fish with minimal trauma. Even more necessary if you are landing blues with the stripers - they bite!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Official Member

I think ZIMNO covered it pretty good..I know you east coasters have many fly shows where you can get great sales on rods ,reels, lines etc..Especially 2 piece rods ,they have trouble selling in shops over the 4 piece ones..Still good fishing rods & cheaper..Also a extra spool set up for shootig heads,, A wallet & 4-5 heads to cover all situations..Don't need all the spools..Think it's a west coast thing....And above all..bend down the barbs..It's easier on the fish & your ears on those windy days..And take a kid fishing..Spread the enthusiasm & watch the smiles...Jim
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

real important that i did not touch on was a roll of electrical tape.
after you assemble your rod ie; 2pc - 3pc - 4pc etc, you wanna tape the connections by laying a few turns of tape on the lower section and winding it onto the above section and tear or cut off on top end of rod. this will keep you from tossing one section to timbuctoo or even breaking the top section if it becomes loose from too much casting which you will undoubtedly be doing. an ounce of prevention:

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Official Member

ZIMNO......Excellent point...Most rods are broken in doors, high sticking, AND becoming loose & fracturing the ferrule area..
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Official Member

Baitrunner I gotta give it to you dude. Yesterday I took my flypole out on my neighbors yak on my local lake. It is really hard to cast when you are that low to the water. I'm used to standing in my aluminum boat.

I'm still trying to figure out the surf with bait, but I always have a flypole with me just incase I get into a blitz and they are hitting everything.

Any fish yet on the fly?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM

Hi Cappo, no fish on it yet, but I haven't given it a whole lot of time on the water yet either. The day will come
Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wtf is a flypole?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 AM
First Mate

I go with LLBean they have an awsome warranty so you can upgrade every few years if you want. I have a 10wt streamlight with an Orion IV large arbor reel. Very nice combo for half the price of others. Nice drag will handle dolfin with no problem, I've even landed yellowfin up to 40lb.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i forgot this thread, sitting in a yak and casting? yea, sit on the grass and practice as you are low to the ground. your handicap is stealth but going out far and letting the tide bring you toward the beach where you know the fish are can be deadly at night. troll a fly behind you till you get close to the zone and gently let the anchor down when you get to the spot.and don;t let is bounce on the bottom but place it there and wait the fish out. casting from beyond the longshore current into it and allowing the fly to drift with it into your spot is killer. i would only hope you had that spot to go to off the beach somewhere jake?