Canal rat - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Official Member

Default Canal rat

The only thing that could possibly be better than finding this site would be landing my first fifty+....well maybe 79lbs+. About me..I'm 44yrs old (yeah old cause I feel that way) and have been fishing the Cape cod area all my life from the early days when there was a Cape Cod Tuna Tournament mid 70's on my grandfathers 38' Viking out of Barnstable (The Angler) then more recently my mothers 1985 35' foot Viking out of Bourne, worked for several years as a mate on a 55' Hatteras. Most of my boat fishing was for tuna, when not out in the boat I would fish the canal for upto 4 days straight sleeping on the rocks and working my way down to murders row (Scusset area) and back with little more than a couple dozen snickers bars for food..always figured I was paying my dues. Fish conventional reels, love eels (hate the price= damn blues),bucktails,plastics,etc. Miss the days I used to be able to get my own herring at the run on the canal had the proceedure mastered. Had my own run in with what I will call a sunami in the canal there back in the mid to late eighties....I was standing in about knee deep water fishing live herring and being late night on day two I dozed off only to be awakened by the whiring sound of a frieghter doing 15-20 knots through the canal, felt the water through my waders going by my ankles has it was sucked out by the frieghters prop, the water line dropped about 5' down right in front of me. Well now awake I knew what was coming andafter grabbing my herring basket (suddenly high and dry) I turned and saw the wave/wake, only had time to get my arm around a rock has the wave hit me. It wasat least 10' over my head all the way up the rocks (put football size rocks on the street going into Mass. Maritine Accademy and left a weed line 3' high on the fence there) Anyway down I went holding my pole and my herring basket and the rock has the water washed over me and tried to pull me away but I managed to hold on and when I got up there were fishermen nearby that ran over thinking I was gone but I got up threw my basket back in the water and ran up to the top of the rocks to gain my composure...took off my soaked jacket which luckily I had over my waders and zipped up (kept them from becoming a parachute pulling me in with the water). Once I calmed down I saw the results...coolers, herring baskets, tackle boxes etc. all floating down the canal also many guys lost there fishing rods leaving me with all my gear and bait intact and still able to fish after I tried to snag some of the other peoples gear with my pole till it was out of range on it's way to Buzzards bay. Wish I could find out the exact date I would love to be able to have the facts (had to be in the news somewhere that day or someone who was there can attest). Anyway I have many more mishaps/mistakes/accomplishments that I will try to put out properly (gramer&spelling a little weak)for the great people here to enjoy until we meet good fishing to all.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Canal rat

Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Welcome to the site Ed! I'm a newbie to the canal, finally fished it a few times last season. Definitely a whole different ballgame than fishing my little river or the surf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran Elite

What an opening story Ed, sounds like an intriguing place to fish. I'm slowly working my way south each year fishing Stripers. The canal is a MUST, maybe next year or the year after. Welcome aboard.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the site Ed

Bryan
Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

not as dramatic an event where i fish next to the chanel but once i was out on the flat and a tanker raced by me as i was facing away from him and didn't know he was there till the water sucked from my chest down to my thighs and by the time i got back 10 or 15 yards towards shore the flood damn near took me off my feet. i was hopping up and down moving with the current and if not for knowlege of the bottom could have easily been under but at least i would be in shallow water and not booking current like the canal. welcome to the site and see you in june!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

. It sounds to me like you put your time in.
Nice to have you with us.