Very Good Striper Recipe - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Very Good Striper Recipe

Wife made these this weekend, grilled a nice steak to go along with it. Delicious. I believe this recipe was in the Fisherman years back, I lost it & this was the closest I could find to it. I have some weakfish in the freezer too, any ideas other than the old bake in tinfoil pouch with herbs, butter & the like??

Striped Bass Cakes:

2 lbs fresh skinned striper fillet (red meat removed)
2 heaping TBS mayo
1 heaping TBS dijon mustard
2 eggs
1-2cups Italian breadcrumbs (w/o added cheese)--you use these to bind, so measurements are approximate--too much, you get hockey pucks.
1 c. finely chopped red pepper
1c cooked corn kernels (frozen work best)
1-3 tsp Old Bay seasoning (to taste)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/2 c chopped celery

Cooking:
cut fillets into manageable pieces and poach until flaky but not overcooked (white wine and bay leaf, or plain salted water)

saute corn, peppers and celery until tender. Set aside

In mixing bowl, combine mayo, mustard, eggs and sauteed veggies. Mix in old bay and pepper flakes, if using.

drain fish of all excess moisture and mix fish with above until you have a crab-meat like consistency. Add bread crumbs a bit at a time until mix binds well (do not use too much!)

either fry cakes in butter or olive oil or bake in 350 degree overn for 40 minutes. Enjoy!

Great with tartar sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Very Good Striper Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
any ideas other than the old bake in tinfoil pouch with herbs, butter & the like??
How about chunks on the barbeque?
Check out this recipe from Alan Harding.
Cookin in Brooklyn thread
This one can be done dockside. Soak the corn in a bucket of saltwater

These are hybrid recipes
Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM

Southeren Fried Striped Bass

Cooking the Striped Bass
About 2 pounds of Striped Bass fillets cut into finger-sized portions
1-cup of self-rising cornmeal (white or yellow, doesn't matter)
1/4 cup of self-rising flour (corn-flour would be better, but it is hard to find)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2-teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
Vegetable Oil for frying (shortening can be substituted)
You will need a deep skillet to fry the fish in or, even better, a counter top deep fryer. Fill the skillet deep enough to cover the fish when you put it in the pan but not so full you spill oil onto the burners and cause your house to catch on fire!
First, mix the cornmeal, flour and other ingredients in a big bowl. Then, pre-heat your oil to 375 degrees. Next, take a finger of fish and roll it in the cornmeal mixture. Press the fish firmly into the cornmeal and make good and sure that the fish is completely covered in the mixture, especially down into any cracks in the flesh. You don't want to crush the fish, but you want to make sure that any of the fleshy area that will hit the oil is absolutely covered in cornmeal. Don't worry about the skin area of the fish finger getting covered because the cornmeal won't stick well to it anyway.
Place each finger of fish onto a plate after you have completely rolled it in the cornmeal mixture. Wait to add your fish to the hot oil until you have several pieces ready to go in at once, so that you can bring each piece of the fish out of the pan around the same time. Keep an eye on your oil temperature. Too hot and the outside will cook too fast, too cold and the fish will get soggy with oil and the cornmeal won't fuse well to the flesh of the bass. You can always check the temperature of the oil by dropping a tiny drop of water into the oil. If you hear a crackling sound and see popping after the drop of water hits, the oil is ready. Don't put very much water in the oil, it literally takes just a drop. Honestly, the best way is to have a thermometer for the job. That way you can keep a constant check on the temperature.
Cook the fish for 4 or 5 minutes, turning occasionally if you are cooking in a skillet as opposed to a deep fryer, or until the cornmeal turns golden brown. When fish is cooked properly, is should appear flaky when you check it with a fork or when you break it open.
When you removed the fish from the skillet, drain the excess oil by placing it on paper towels or newspaper. If you use a fryer you can just give the basket a good shake and serve it from there.
This method should produce some right-tasty Southern-Fried Striped Bass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
LunkHead

Where, and how, do you go about getting striper anyway?

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 11-19-2006, 12:56 PM

Buy it off the poachers.
(Not funny. )
Old 11-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Buy it off the poachers.
(Not funny. )
JIM !!!!!! :(

We had grilled striper from our Smack Tackle TN River trip last night, cajun seasoning, melted butter, dip striper chunks in cajun butter mess, grill on pizza pan (big round metal with holes all over it) on gas grill, only better would be over charcoal or hardwood campfire.
Kathy (my lovely wife) made her coleslaw, there were green beans, potato salad, rolls, cottage cheese, applesause, mac&cheese, then out came the banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, and 4 layer ??? I don't know if it was cake, pie, or whatever, but it was GOOD.
My step ma makes Yum Yum cake, and it was a close second, whatever it was.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 PM

I still think the best way to cook striper is the simplest way. Striper steaks, your favorite BBQ sauce and high quality hickory charcoal.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Where, and how, do you go about getting striper anyway?
Not in NJ
Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 PM
LunkHead

sadlsorz,
The last 5 or 6 days have seen a boatload of small fish in the wash, hell, I even caught a few, I just hope I can get back down there before this storm that's coming F's up the water. I've heard of more fish on clams than plugs, but so far I have resisited the idea of slinging meat.......but the rods in the truck just in case.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Well that's a bit of good news. I actually gave up on trying this past weekend and went Blackfishing instead. It felt good to have sore arms for once this Fall.

I'm headed to Florida this weekend for some Bone and Redfishing. Hopefully when I get back you guys will be talking about the run being in full swing.

Happy Thanksgiving to All. Tight Lines.