Things I am seeing. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Default Things I am seeing.

I am working on a pier, into the evening. On a river, on the South Shore.

Under the lights, I get a glimpse of the things that are passing through. And thought I might pass some of the info along.

Squid. I am seeing more squid each night.
Silversides, though not as many.
Stripers. Many schoolies, but enough big boys over 30" to mention it here.
Tiny shrimp.
A variety of smaller bait fish. Mostly translucent, but some silvery. Maybe small spearling not sure.

2 freaked out co-workers each called to me within 30 seconds of each other, 100 yards from each other 2 nights ago, asking what something was. All I got was it was "huge", had a fin, moving as fast as a boat, and was throwing a wake. And it went out of sight doing so.

Then I saw the squid.

Never seen a bonita or tuna in that far. So I dunno.

Any way things are happening, in spite of the herring moving out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Surf's Up

Default Re: Things I am seeing.

not good
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Every year the Tuna, "football" yellow fin, invade Gallilea Rhodie, chasing Squid, It's not uncommon for that to happen.
Every fall, Bluefin Tuna come right into the surf zone of our south coast beaches. I have had very large Tuna chase a 4 oz. cast master almost up to the beach. I witnessed one that was actually hooked and stripped the guy's 8500SS in a matter of seconds.
So my point is, Tuna would not be out of the question nor would it be unusual.
This time of year, herring are not even a bait issue, Pogies, sand eels, spearing and squid are the forage naturally occuring and source of food for all game fish in the area. Another note, Tuna love small bluefish and are one of the best live baits for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Lunker

pretty cool ,who knows though without seeing it what it firsthand. to me, thats one of the reasons i fish,if you spend enough time on the water, your bound to see some things that make you say,WHAT THE_____WAS THAT!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
pretty cool ,who knows though without seeing it what it firsthand. to me, thats one of the reasons i fish,if you spend enough time on the water, your bound to see some things that make you say,WHAT THE_____WAS THAT!!!
The oblivous fill in the blank is exactly what they said.

More squid, though not large pods. And more large fish moving in the last 2 nights.

Last night the water went milky, and the bait which had looked translucent went a rusty red/brown. Maybe some spawning of shellfish or something? I dunno.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Baby squid, they turn reddish when attacked or aggrevated. The milkyness of the water was the pods squirting ink. The adults squirt black, I've seen babies squirt grey/white. It's a trip when your 60 feet down breathing from jugs and the water around you fills with the little suckers. Then you exhale and it spooks the whole school! The spring spawned squid should be around 2 to 3 inches about now.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 AM
First Mate

Interesting Gunny. These are fish though. They are not moving like squid. They school and move like fish. Jump and freak like fish. I have seen none jet, and a flashlight shows as many in the darkness as the light.

The Squid are actually 6 inches or more in length.

I wish I could net some, but I am at work.

It has been very interesting to follow the cycle of this river this year, as it is a new one to me. yet one which has been within 15miles of damn near every place I have ever lived.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
First Mate

I am seeing something that have to think are needle fish.

The don't do a hell of a lot, but that may be what keeps the Stripers from eating them. they flmove very slowly, look like blades of grass, and go from horizontal to the vertical from time to time then right themselves.

The squid left, the smaller stripers stay active in the light, the larger fish wit on the hard edges of lesser light, and almost blackness.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Veteran Elite

I havent seen squid but I have seen small baitfish about the 1-2" and schoolies feeding on them on top. no matter what I did I couldnt catch them. the lures I brought were all too big.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 AM
First Mate

Lots of squid tonight, and cloudy water again. The Moon looks to be close to full.

Tons of bait. Saw what looked like the young herring the other night.

Big fish. Good fish in the darker shadows. Schoolies, in schools, just about everywhere.