Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Suggestions on airbrushed plug topcoat?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremyct 
#1 ·
I've only been building my own plugs for a season now and I'm having trouble with a reliable topcoat. I have been using Devcon 30 min 2-ton epoxy double coated which has been relatively successful on the surf. But on piers and jetties the finish is easily chipped and dinged around rocks or structures. I make sure I thoroughly seal them before paint with at least 3 dips in shellac, 2-3 spray primer coats, airbrush and epoxy. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome Bigwoodlures...first.... dipping in shelac is not the best method for sealing..... shelac lacks the ability to penetrate the wood....oils such as tung or linseed oil penentrate the wood... urethains also are efficieant sealers when cut with mineral spirits....your biggest concern is to seal end grain and the insode of the plug.. as the outside is protected with primner, pain and top coat..

alot of builders do well with devcon.. I've never used it... with epoxy, thin flexable coats are better than thick ones... Personaly, I use Envirotex lite, aplied in a single thin coat...wood expands and contract, so the top coat must be flexable...your problem , as I understand it, is not an adhesion problem, but a durability problem.. try a single thinner coat of devcon before scrapping it all together... if that does not work, try the enviritex... no matter what you cover your plugs with, they will still take a beating on rocks, but, any epoxy will out last paint that is standing alone...

#3 ·
I have been kinda slopping the epoxy on there, I like the bartop look. Thank you for the advice, the next round will follow your recipe. Also using soft maple, which isn't as easy to seal. Might try western red cedar next, but hoping the new sealing process will eliminate the need for that. I like the way maple works on the lathe, plus it paints really well. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Three coats etex
If you dont have, make yourself a drying box
Add bbq grill rotisserie and cheap applying/ drying wheel and apply while she slowly spins.
Add mechanics drop light to box for perfect drying temps
Is this flawless, no.. But it sure makes a strong finish to a plug
I use a plastic throw away drink cup , shallow type to mix
Use the etex cap to pour each solution into equal mixing ratios, with etex you want to be exact, and use a lighter to graze ( nottt burnnnn) the bubbles out.. Dont get real close she will be a smoking mess , lol.. I have maybe 50 into my applying/ drying rack.. Well worth the pro setup, can dry 21 lures a night:salute:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.