baitrunner reels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Freshwater Tackle Box freshwater supplies reels and tackle discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Default baitrunner reels

I use nothing but the Okuma line counter reels, I was just looking for some feedback from people who use spincast reels for drifting, how they set there reels up etc. You can pm if you wish. I use the 8 foot 3 ML ugly sticks, they are not stiff so its great fighting a fish, but very springy. I just got some 3 ounce egg sinkers and some 7/0 circle hooks. Seems like the drift fishermen are really pounding them. Any reels recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: baitrunner reels

If you want to try a spinning outfit I would recommend the daiwa regal bite n run. Easily has a comparable drag to much more expensive options (shimano baitrunner and penn liveliner) but they cost about $60. The okumas are a little bit cheaper and also a nice product but it doesnt get better than that regal imo
Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Reel Deep Thinker!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzebackPro7 View Post
If you want to try a spinning outfit I would recommend the daiwa regal bite n run. Easily has a comparable drag to much more expensive options (shimano baitrunner and penn liveliner) but they cost about $60. The okumas are a little bit cheaper and also a nice product but it doesnt get better than that regal imo

Last year my Penn LiveLiner's drag broke on like the 3rd trip out. (I was told by Tom at River Basin that Penn has discontinued them for a more expensive model.) Anyways I called Cabela's to see if I could still exchange it because it had been almost a year sense I bought it, I just hadn't used it much. Of course the great people at Cabela's said no problem so I sent it back and got the Diawa Regal Plus Bri 5500 with automatic Bite-n-Run clutch to replace it. I love it. A solid reel for a good price. Here is a link it on the Diawa site with all the specs.... http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=197

Tight Lines...Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

In my opinion and after trying most of the different brands. The Shimano Baitrunners are the best. Smooth non sticking drags. Reliable and durable. Worth th extra money
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Official Member

Well before I hit the hay,I got to say. I don't care for spinners I use 2 Penn
demars,and a Jigmaster, and Joey uses a Penn 209 and a 10 they have the levelwind. They hold better then 200 yrds of 20 or 30 lb test there 20 years old and they never break all under 50 bucks. I aint done no 50 lb'drs but I stand a chance with them reels.I learned young and went from a push button to an Abu. So I really don't get the spinner thing.They still make Jigmasters and 209's so they are my recomendations. Good Luck
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
First Mate

For drift fishing with 4oz of weight you really need a baitrunner or you just have to back the main drag down on the trolling reels which is a pain in the butt when a fish hits because you then have to tighten the main drag just the right amount before you set the hook. Using just the clicker system won't work with that much weight as it constantly pulls line out everytime the boat rocks which drives you nuts. For baitrunners I've used a Tica Sportera for the last 3 seasons and it's been a great reel for the $80 pricetag. Even better drag system than the Shimano 3500 baitrunner at $95 I have but not as solid of a feel in the handle. You can still find closeouts on the old Shimano baitrunners for $100 or so which is a great deal compared to the new ones at almost $150!