Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Anton Stetzko Jr.

Tags
anton stetzko
6K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
The Pro: Tony Stetzko Jr
Credentials: Maker of the Mr. Wiggly plug; former IGFA all-tackle striped bass world-record holder
Home Waters: Nauset Beach, Cape Cod
Largest Surf-Caught Bass: 73 pounds

Line of Choice: These days I strictly use 20- to 40-pound braided line. It really helps take away a lot of fear when you're fighting a big bass. You can get far more on the spool and having no line stretch is a big plus.
Rod and Reel: Without a Van Staal 150, I don't know if I could fish anymore. I'm hard on reels and they can take a beating. I like an eight- or nine-foot St. Croix Avid. The lighter rods let you keep better contact with your lure and won't hurt your wrist.
Time of Year: For truly large bass, October through mid-November is the best. Schools won't be huge, but the bass will be big-50 pounds.
Favorite Location: I've fished for striped bass all over, but my favorite area is right here at home between Nauset and the cut in Chatham on Cape Cod.
Ideal Conditions: During the darkness of the new moon, you don't have to worry about the fish becoming skittish. At Nauset Beach I'll take a southwest wind 24 -7, all year long. That direction will flatten the surf and make for easy casting. It also puts the bait right up on the beach.
Rookie Mistake: You can't wade right on top of big bass while trying to land it. The best thing you can do when it's close is back up a good 15 feet and use the waves to surf the fish onto the beach. If it runs again, just let it go and take your time.
Must-Have Lure: I grew up fishing with eels and my father developed the Mr. Wiggly back in 1977. It's a wooden plug that mimics an eel, and I never hit the beach without one. It's really versatile and unique. Biggest Goof: I was nearing the end of a fight with a big bass and I was doing everything right-that is until I caught sight of the fish. I'm sure it hit the 100-pound mark and seeing it broke my concentration. as I gawked, my line ran over a mussel bed and was cut instantly.

Massachusetts Record. 73 pounds
Anton Stetsko Jr.1981
Shared record with Charles Church 1913 and Charles Cinto 1967

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.