Beginner Tips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Beginner Tips

Hi all, new to Striper fishing here, will give you some background. I live on the coast in Southern Maine, have a lot of experience with smallmouths and largemouths, mostly with spinners, poppers, frogs, etc. This is a very popular striper fishing area, I don't have a boat, and there are a lot of good bridges in intertidal zones that are hotspots for stripers here which people fish from constantly. What will I be looking to use in these spots baitwise? Like I said, never been striper fishing so the more info on my approach and tactics, the better. There are also some spots in a local marsh with good possibilities fror fishing from jettys and from land as well, so would my approach change here (cast and reel bait as opposed to cast and wait live bait)? I am looking to get out and start trying my hand this weekend. Will keep you updated on what's working for me. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Beginner Tips

Hi Maineline!!
Just wanted to say hi and

Dude,, ya gotta get in on this. We're having a big S247 gathering in Maine August 18th-19th at Popham Beach. Not that far from you. It would be cool if you can join us!

Here's a link to the thread for the details. Come hang out,, have some great BBQ,, fish all night,,, whatever. Good times to be had

Hope to see you there!
Jacob aka Baitrunner
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Wishin i was fishin

Hey Maine, welcome to the site! UNLESS you see people catching fish in those spots that are "hammered" hard then i wouldn't bother, its difficult to be competing with others when fishing side by side, and if you DO end up hooking a fish you have the potential of losing it because your line will wrap up with someone else....i always recommend finding a spot to call "your own" that there's not a lot of traffic but can still hold some fish....anywhere rocky or anywhere that has some good structure will usually hold fish, and the bait preference is really unlimited...you can try everything from swim shads that you can buy at your local walmart or eels, or mackerel, or worms. You can try catching some mackerel to use for bait, go to a local pier where they catch mackerel and take a castmaster or mackerel jig, or swedish pimple, it really doesn't matter mackerel bite most anything, catch some mackerel and you can either fish them live or use them as cut bait. you can fish them on bottom, or some tie a balloon to their line if fishing live bait. Just try some simple things, don't overthink it and fish it like you would a largemouth, next to the structure, give that a try.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll probably go scout soe locations this weekend and bring along a few friends, maybe try some different spots and bait methods, and i'll let you know what works!

I'll try to get a little more familiar with fishing stripers and maybe I will head on down on August 18th-19th! Thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM

I guess I should also ask, when should I look to head out? Tide coming in, tide going out, hot part of the day, cloudy day? I know there are different approaches to all conditions but what would anyone recommend?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Alright, so I just went out and got a striper setup: pole, reel, wire leaders and hooks, weights. I'm going to be fishing off of a bridge. Time contraints will have me fishing from about 3-4 hours before high tide right up til the full height. More than likely will be using mackerel chunks, possibly live eel, possibly sand worms (any recommendations?). Could someone please follow up with me with any final preparation guidelines or advice? Looking forward to having a good time!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
First Mate

MaineLine,
Welcome to the site... The best advice I could ever give you is to go out there and have fun and never give up. Striper fishing is much like big mouth bass fishing just remember the basic principle of structure fishing and you will be fine... Bass of all kinds love structure... Tide does not matter as much as some people wish you to believe, it depends on where you fish... some spots will produce during low, some during high and others in between. Find a spot, make it your own and have some fun.
Good Luck,
BryanL

One more thing... Popham beach will be a great experience for you, no one on this site treats anyone any differently because they are less advanced... I went to Beavertail and learned A LOT from the various guys here... try and make it to the gathering if you can.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Staff

maineline,
If I were you I'd lose the wire leader to start with. You don't need it for stripers and your chances will be better. I'd stick with Flourocarbon or monofilament leaders, unless you're on top of a toothy bluefish blitz.

If you're fishing from a bridge of any height, please make sure you think about how you're going to land a decent fish if you happen to catch one. There's a bridge I drive past all the time, probably 25 feet down to the water, and I see guys standing there fishing with nothing but a rod and reel. I've caught some big fish under that bridge from a boat,,, much larger than they could lift 25 feet with nothing but a Wal-Mart combo. I've been down stream from the bridge and watched dead short stripers float past me after some googan tossed it back off the top of the bridge.

Personally,, if I can't get close enough to the water to reach down and grab a large fish with my hand, or revive an exhausted fish I intend to release, I find somewhere else to fish.

I don't know how high your bridge is,, but please make sure you think it through and plan ahead.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM

So I'm thinking I will probably hit up the thign at Popham Beach. I will likely come down on the afternoon of the 18th and stay until the morning of the 19th (however long I can keep my eyes open!) Will plan on bringing my portable grill and some meat. Please email me directions, exact info, etc. I have no boat, but I am to assume a lot of other people don't either eh? Let me know the basics and exacts and I will be there. Thanks![email protected].
Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM

In regards to the bridge, there is an excellent spot made right towards the side that has an easy little out to walk down to the shore, so you get the ease of dropping your bait in from above but if you hook something you can just walk down to the water to finish it. And there are no other spots in between to get tangled up.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Pro Staff

Excellent!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Maineline, I sent you an Email. I promise you, if you show up you will learn much knowledge, eat great food, and have lot's of fun.
Send me an Email, for some reason I recieved an undeliverable notice.
[email protected]
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 PM

I will email you first thing in the morning! So, I went out tonight to a rocky beach that goes out to a nice dropoff where the local tackle shop guy recommended over my other spots mentioned earlier. I was using a 2oz sinker with a striper hook setup on a slider, with chunked mackerel. I had a big problem with losing my bait, and fast. How would one recommend a) cutting the mackerel and b) putting it on the hook. And how long do I let it soak before I reel it in and re-cast? I tried various things but obviously to no avail I am going to go back tomorrow at low tide so I can get closer to where it drops off. Please shoot me some advice, will check in the morning, and I will apply to tomorrow fishing! Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 PM

How fresh was your bait? If it had thawed for too long, mackeral tend to get mushy pretty fast. You've got to keep it iced in a cooler until ready for use.
Use the head, cut it a couple of inches back from the gill plate and hook it through the eyes. Trie a diagnal cut in the body so you can sew the hook through a couple of times, for a better hold on the hook. Hope this helps, get some tonight!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks! I'm going to head out this afternoon again, I'm going to use some live and some chunk mackerel. I plan on experimenting on and off with those, live eels, and sand worms. Everyone I've talked to around here seems to have a different favorite, but all with good results. Will keep you updated.