Spinning Reels for surf rods - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:55 PM

Ya Jim i kno how u feel i got a hole new set up this winter a 10ft surf rod and an okuma av80 and im dying to use it :D

This will be my first year of surf fishing and if it goes well i might get a 12 footer for next year and maybe put a penn 9500s on it.

You say you got a tica?? what kind is it? are they any good ive heard bout them but nvr tried them

Thx Agian- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2005, 09:22 PM

I'll tell ya as soon as i get back from N.C. how that Tica works, that babies coming with me. time for her to go to work. hahaha.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 01-21-2005, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome, you guys have a great site. I have two, my wife is aces, both are pre reel ventures. More importantly let me tell you guys whats going on. New years eve my wonderful wife shows me on e-bay this person selling staals cheap. I've wanted a silver one for ever, the best friend says cut it out nobody has or needs three. He's right! Any ways the wife buys a silver 250 for $555, they retail for $670. Well god must have said nyut no more. Three weeks later still no reel. She's now trying to get our money back. Craig at Van Staal says if you were to find a staal on e-bay, call them and they will tell you if it's stolen. The woman who's trying to sell them goes by nurse jellews.....beware of her she doesn't even have any!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striper777
what kind is it? are they any good ive heard bout them but nvr tried them
The reel looks solid

The tica libra 4000.

It feels good too. I think it would hold up to a 30 maybe 40 pound fish. I had fish tear apart a more expensive penn 7500ss. Nothing has torn up my 704Z though. At least not a stiper. I had an old Mitchell 306 egg beater that nearly was spooled. I think the fish cut the line with its gill plate . Either that or i screwed up with the drag. It was way too tight.

Eyl nut that sucks. Ebay has a fraud cancellation policy I hope.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Jim how long have u had ur tica???

they sound good mayb for next season ill get one??
Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Striper 3 7s

I havent got to use it yet. I only got one when JB and the jigman turned me on to it. So I bought 6 of em and gave out 5 as prizes for the christmas photo contest. Kept one for myself. Feels smooth. 8) Might get some more after we sell some hats. 8)
Old 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Thats Awsome! you just gave out the tica's!

im thinking about buying a shirt or somtin or making some sort of a donation

i will pm u

-mike
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 PM

why do people use a smaller setup for plugging off the surf??
Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper777
why do people use a smaller setup for plugging off the surf??
When the fish are in real close during the Fall Run, you dont need a big 10+ foot heaver to get out to the fish. In the Fall, atleast here along the NH coast, the Stripers are chasing Peanut Bunker right along shore, and I have caught Bass 6 feet in front of me in the rocks. When the actions real hot like that, waders arent even needed. I use various 7' light and medium setups when the fish are in close.

When the fish are in the heavy surf and need to be "reached", I use 8.5, 9 and 10' surf rods. I'm not really into anything over 10 feet anymore.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:39 PM

but when the stripers out at a normal distance in summer or w/e what kind of bait/lure do u use??

thx-mike
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 AM

In my limited surfcasting experience...I just throw bait on a fish-finder...I can throw it pretty far...works especially well in high wind conditions...

...or just large plugs
Old 01-27-2005, 02:23 PM

Depends on the time of summer and what the conditions are striper777. Look first to see whats running, what their feeding on ie....peanut bunker, herrin, etc...... means the difference between plugs, plastics and Kastmasters and Krocodiles. Various rubber lead headed eels are great mid summer along with Tube&worm rigs. If i myself is going to use a plug, it will be a floater. with all the other rigs out there, theres almost no reason to ever use a swimmer or a diver....plastic shad took its place easily. If your throwing plugs, work your casts in a clockwise motion, always changing spots but always coming back to where you started. If your going for Blues.... take the front set of trebles off for better release, we all know how much bluefish are maniacs when you get um out of the water.

Clambellies for me, are the best bait out there, second only to fresh eels. Use them in the morning, use them in the night, whatever. stripers will hit clambellies no matter what. When you can put a clambellie in a bucket of water, and it floats, its no good. if you buy quantity, freeze them in brine/water mix....when you thaw them out, they will be harder than when you put them in.

Hope this helps a little my friend.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

Old 01-27-2005, 07:01 PM

I learned some good info from that too... :D Thanks Briggs...

...I guess you could call me surfcasting impaired...

...I have pulled some decent fish from the surf tho...I'll try to put a pic...

One question for briggs...If you could only have one plug with you what would it be?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Well thats easy but you might laugh.....A Simple old, "Gags Grabber Popper" Floating, Rattling, noisy sob. 5 inch, 1.5oz, chrome.

It Floats so you'll want to work this baby slow most of the time. short popping bursts work for me. i've been hit by stopping it for a second and then continueing my retrieve. you can hear it working and popping. I dont think you CAN retrieve these things wrong. another thing i learned is to keep working it until its on land basically, i've been splashed by getting wacked right in front of my face, they follow it in and their last act of vengence is to slam the hell out of it, scares the hell out of me every time hahaha. some of my biggest stripers have come out of 3 feet of water, working this popper in front of eel grass.

So Yea, nothing really extravagant for this fisherman.

This plug will also make blues go nuts, i save all my old ones just for this purpose.

:twisted: Craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 PM

I guess you dont get much Pogie up past Block island. I just love bunker. Heads especially. Eels next. Bloodworms and sandworms.
Clams in the sand though.

Love these things Craig.