USING A NOODLE ROD FOR STRIPERS - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box > Tackle evaluation and freshwater product reviews
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle evaluation and freshwater product reviews thsi forum is for sweetwater tackle and wiper tackle reviews

Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Default USING A NOODLE ROD FOR STRIPERS

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if I could use my noodle rod for striper fishing. I use a 14' rod up in NY for salmon and steelhead trout, it has a medium sized reel with 6lb test and I have landed fish from 15-30+ lbs with it.

Could I use it on stripers in the CC canal as well since the currents are similar?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

6# test?
Remember, it's posible that you'd hook a Blue in there,,, maybe even a 40# sow that just wants to chug with the current.
Even a racer, in the current, and the line gets weeded after a 100 yd. run.
"What's a boy to do?" (with 200 yds. 6# test out on a weeded striper in current)
Sure you can. Please consider break-offs and stay with steel hooks?
On the rod though,, worst case scenario, you'll be handlining. Really though, no problem with the rod. probably heavier than some of the flyrods I've used. It will probably "strain" the fish pretty bad though.
With todays conservatism, you could be looked down on by some.
On the reel,,, if you're lucky,,, I'd bet you'd be needing a new one after a couple of "goodies".
I know 30#ers in a river is a YAHOO! for sure. However, it's not a striper or blue that says "screw this,, I'm going across the pond to England for treats."
Seriously, I think the enviroment will make you reconsider.
Rod=
Line= downthetube.gif
reel=
Fun=
Old 10-11-2006, 02:30 PM

Great, thanx for the input, my only thought was that since the river conditions, current, size of fish etc etc were pretty similar I could do the same thing. I hadnt considered the wear and tear on the fish though, which is a good point and if I lost a big cow because of the light line I would probably throw myself from the Sagamore I will bump up the line and perhaps a bigger reel as well but I think I will give the rod a shot.

Again, thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Hate to comment on unknown reels, but maybe if it's a well built quality reel you could get away with some super braid and just carry some extra drag washers? Maybe?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Its just a diawa, i have actually had some big salmon take off against a pretty strong current for 200 yrds or so....reel screaming the whole time with no issues. I think I will, bump the reel size up a bit and go with 15lb line, the issue with this is that the sensitivity of the rod can change quite a bit with bigger line and the bigger reel can sorta change the balance as well.

Trial and error I suppose, my normal striper rig is a 12ft Okuma with matching reel, 20lb main line and 40lb FC leeder. Although to be honest I am still a nube and dont even have a keeper yet LOL, its my first year.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

20#line in the canal is the smallest i use, i have had many many problems in the past when the current is crankin with lighter line, even a schoolie feels like a cow in the current sometimes.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: USING A NOODLE ROD FOR STRIPERS

I wouldn't, not to say that you couldn't. Try braid on that reel, maybe.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: USING A NOODLE ROD FOR STRIPERS

I've done a bit of noodle rod striper fishing - cold water only, if it's too warm the fish won't survive the release and out on the open beach away from rocks and snags.
I used to use a Daiwa Tournament Whisker SS 2600 with 14# Fireline but that's just been retired for a Daiwa 4500 Team Advantage spooled with 30# Ande braid (feels and casts the same as the Fireline with more strength) The rod's a 10' 6" Berkley System One Noodle action and I use it to throw small plugs and home tied streamers specially weighted (hook shank wrapped with lead wire) so I could cast em.

Loads of fun for winter schoolies and does double duty for Salmon and American Shad.

<note> LOVE this rod, highly recomend it. I just looked it up on the net and it's at Bass Pro for $75 - IMHO a steal for a rod of this quality.