Will there be a Striper Season 2020?? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Will there be a Striper Season 2020??

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...424-story.html

It seems like the real ptoblem is Maryland and not is....according to this article they kill more of the biomass than ALL other states combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveditt View Post
Its official Virginia has closed its 2019 stripe bass season largest spawning grounds Chesapeake bay . I love fishing the Hudson been doing it for many years but honestly this can't be good for spawning fish who knows what happens to a big female full of eggs after a ten minute battle ,netting lifting weighing and photo's taken yes it swims away but does it live or lay its eggs . I've been trying to release all fish caught on my boat using a dehooking tool on the side of the boat . Time will tell enjoy this year .
Not for the year......until May 15th I believe.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Lunker

Think its only a matter of time for us here in the northeast that some regulations are imposed on us. Did you guys watch the video if not u need to.That's fn disgusting. Nice read Doc thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Official Member

As a ex-pat of the once great state of New York. I have to say never say never.
Look what they have done to your Second Amendment rights in NY. In the dark of night your Emperor Coumo with the stroke of his pen made all gun owners in NY persona non grata and expressed that to the media. What a beautiful state to be driven into the ground the way it is. As a non-resident hunter, firearms that are legal in the other states I hunt, are illegal in NY

Be careful and vigilant and don't think it cant happen

Tight lines!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Striper Hunter

every big fish i catch goes on a boga grip i attach to my dock line, and gets revived boat side for as long as it takes for the fish to swim and try to sound bottom on its own. Also, bass are head first eaters. They inhale rather than bite. this means most of the time they swallow the bait. Barbless j hooks are much easier to remove than circle hooks in the gullet. I use a 3/4" dowel with a rounded forked end to remove the hook. I might have seen one or two fish not make it in 4-5 years using this method
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstream View Post
every big fish i catch goes on a boga grip i attach to my dock line, and gets revived boat side for as long as it takes for the fish to swim and try to sound bottom on its own. Also, bass are head first eaters. They inhale rather than bite. this means most of the time they swallow the bait. Barbless j hooks are much easier to remove than circle hooks in the gullet. I use a 3/4" dowel with a rounded forked end to remove the hook. I might have seen one or two fish not make it in 4-5 years using this method
Excellent report, how many do this is uncertain.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:20 AM
Lunker

the board of ASMFC plans to explore a range of stock management options, including size limits and a coastwide circle hook requirement that will be instituted in 2020.

In-line circle hooks are known to reduce striped bass release mortality because they are more likely to hook onto the fish’s lip rather than its gut or gills. The stock assessment concluded that 48 per cent of striped bass mortalities came from recreational catch and releases, making it the largest cause of mortality for the species.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 AM
Lunker

Last week, Virginia fisheries managers decided to do away with the annual spring trophy season, allowing anglers to take only two fish a day that fit into a 20- to 28-inch slot limit. That season runs from May 16 to June 15. Also last week, natural resources and environmental secretaries from Virginia, Connecticut and Massachusetts sent letters to ASMFC chairman James S. Gilmore Jr. urging him to take swift action.

The ASMFC will go on the road this summer to hold public hearings on how a cut-back could be accomplished. Any decisions made this fall would be activated in 2020.

Among several options listed : minimum size limits for both the coastal and Chesapeake Bay fisheries, a slot limit that would prohibit the harvest of fish longer than 40 inches, the mandatory use of circle hooks when fishing with bait to reduce released fish mortality and a provision that would allow states to use seasonal closures to reduce their catch numbers.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotter View Post
the board of ASMFC plans to explore a range of stock management options, including size limits and a coastwide circle hook requirement that will be instituted in 2020.

In-line circle hooks are known to reduce striped bass release mortality because they are more likely to hook onto the fish’s lip rather than its gut or gills. The stock assessment concluded that 48 per cent of striped bass mortalities came from recreational catch and releases, making it the largest cause of mortality for the species.

I'm not so sure about the circle hooks being better.....I find they gut hook quit a bit and are WAY harder to get out than a standard hook.

The CR Mortality data is crap and comes from Maryland...based on mostly trolling catches in warmer water.....of course those fish aren't gonna survive after being dragged and drowned while being pulled in.