Snapping my line!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Official Member

Default Snapping my line!!!!

I'm a long-time fisherman but a surf newbie. I have the all the right gear but I keep snapping my braid at the line-to-line knot during the cast. I'm using 30# Power Pro tied to 40# mono using an improved albright knot as well as a uni-to-uni knot. Both times I was casting a 2ish oz. talkin' popper on a 9' moderate/fast Penn surf rod. I realize that the velocity of the cast puts a heavy load on the line, but I know some of you guys go as low as 20# braid for plugging. What am I doing wrong???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Snapping my line!!!!

Sounds to me like you may have a crack in one of your guides.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Official Member

It's not the guides. The knot doesn't go through any guides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Pro Staff

I'd check them anyway. Take a cotton ball and pass it through each guide looking for snags. Hairline cracks are often very easy to overlook.

You may just have gotten into a bad batch of Power Pro. It's been known to happen. Mystery break-offs with Power Pro have been complained about by countless people for years. It's one of the many reasons that I won't use the stuff any more. I'd take Fireline over Power Pro any day of the week for plugging.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Pro Staff

Oh, I should also mention that it would be better if your mono leader IS long enough that it goes through the guides. You want that stretch in the leader to take up the force of the cast. When tying direct like you are, it's not a good idea to have that junction between braid and leader out past the end of the rod during the cast.

Many people recommend making the leader long enough that it actually has a couple wraps on the spool during the cast,,, of course you must be able to tie a quality low profile knot for this to work well.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Official Member

That is very interesting. I've always tied 3' leaders for other applications. I think you're on to something. Letting the mono take the brunt of the casting velocity makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot.