Rod and reel help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Official Member

Default Rod and reel help

Hey all,

Planning to start my surf fishing side of life this fall with a week at Montauk in October. In preparation for this, I have purchased a shimano ultegra ci4 5500 reel and a st croix mojo 10'6'' mh 2-6 oz Rod. Will this work out well for me in your opinion? Thanks for all the help in advance as I am horribly excited to get everything together to try and catch a cow this fall!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Rod and reel help

Hello, and welcome to the world of surf fishing! That combo will do well for you as long as you keep the reel dry. It's not a reel that you would want to subject to submersion in salt water.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the info.. If it does go for a swim is it ruined or just a take apart to clean situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Pro Staff

If it does get dunked inadvertently, definitely disassemble and clean ASAP and it will probably be OK. Most Shimano reels are a bit of a hassle to disassemble, though...
Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Official Member

So I decided to take things a different way. I have all intentions of donning a wetsuit and being a rock copper come October and having heard this news I have decided to sell my current set up and purchase new. Here's the new rig..

Van stall x series 250 reel
Laminglas Ron arra 1322-2 11 foot Rod .. My hope is that I will be able to submerse this at will and essentially that better cannot be bought. Is this the truth of things?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauldin1984 View Post
So I decided to take things a different way. I have all intentions of donning a wetsuit and being a rock hopper come October and having heard this news I have decided to sell my current set up and purchase new. Here's the new rig..

Van stall x series 250 reel
Laminglas Ron arra 1322-2 11 foot Rod .. My hope is that I will be able to submerse this at will and essentially that better cannot be bought. Is this the truth of things?
Now you're talkin'

My rig... ZeeBaas & AFAW Estuary (which sadly is no longer available).

Old 06-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Official Member

I really appreciate the replies. Along the same lines and with that picture, I am considering going the wetsuit road as opposed to waders. Wetsuit a more reliable option?
Old 06-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Pro Staff

Not necessarily... It all depends on how you plan to fish. You're new to surfcasting and this is your first time doing it in Montauk. I think if I were you I'd take it easy and learn the ropes before pushing the limits to where a wet suit becomes a required piece of kit. There are plenty of places around Montauk, in fact most readily accessible spots there, where I've felt perfectly comfortable fishing in waders with a dry top.

That's the thing,, if you go there with waders and expect to get a decent spot, you better have a dry top on over it and a good set of spikes on your feet or you WILL slip on the rocks and end up with waders full of water. If you don't have Korkers or an equivalent piece of equipment, get them, whether you go with a wetsuit or a waders/dry top combo. Nothing like a nasty slip on the slimy rocks and a broken arm or leg to ruin a fishing trip.