LITTLE COMPTON RHODE ISLAND SURF REPORT - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Default LITTLE COMPTON RHODE ISLAND SURF REPORT

I'd love to start this post off with " caught a bunch of fish last night"....but i can't. I really have to start off this off by saying " I Caught a Monster Last Night!!!!".

My buddy and i Headed down to My favorite spot last night around 7:30pm. I was going to catch the incoming tide that started around 9pm but it was a beautiful day so we went early to enjoy the view. The waves were down to about a foot and the wind was blowing gently at 10 mph. Every star in the universe was out last night and the water was running out of the mouth of the lake into the ocean.....perfect conditions. It was slow all night, but slow at this place is a striper every 20 minutes. this went on for a few hours. 20 incher here, 28 incher there. midnight rolls around and the fishing starts to pick up. right around 12:30am....my rod bends over without a bite, and my drag starts to whine, not just whine though, it might as well have started to smoke it was going so fast. Let me go back a few hours............with all the little ones we've been catching, i said to my friend " i'm going to loosen my drag, none of these fish are taking it at all" " nah, i'm going to leave it right where i like it, set on keeper" so i never touched it. 2 different people last week told me , and i quote: all there is out there now are the small ones. anyway........My buddy reels his line in quick and runs to put it in the sand spike, he can hear my drag from 50' away and he knows how i set my drag(tight). as he runs and stands next to me, he can see that my pole is bent right over and he said that he could hear my line straining and the drag smoking. it took me all of 10 mins to beach this cow. when i got it on the beach i was kind of standing back with my pole but my buddy was at the landed fish screaming Oh My God!!!!! The Striper measured....50" and weighed in at 42lbs. I'm going to have a hard job beating it this year, doesn't mean i aint gonna try though, hahaha. all in all it was an awesome trip last night. it would have been even better if i held it over my head with my Stripers247.com shirt on and took a pic with my digital camera...I DID !!!!! what do you think.... i'm a fool? hahaha. i'll post it in the gallery later today my fellow fisherpeople. and dont let anyone tell you that the small ones come in first, its a lie and i knew it.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

show me 6 foot waves and i'll show you a 15 foot rod that will make it seem like your fishing in a pond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Craigs Big Bass

AWESOME!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

OH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! You bucktooth!!!! (J/K) I'm so jealous!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

I forgot my herring, gotta go back to tha trestle :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 10:41 PM

Awesome. Uhh, what's your fee for Guide Service??
Old 05-13-2004, 11:25 PM

Free to all administrators and moderators my friend. just come with me.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 AM

:D Congratulations!!!!! Nice fish!!!! :D
Old 05-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Little Compton Rhode Island report

Hey guys and gals,

Took off for the beach last night at around 5pm. The wind was blowing at about 10-15mph. The waves.......well, they were basically non-existent. halfway up the beach we saw something that looked like either a giant squid or a 3000 lb pile of clambellies........could not figure out for the life of me what it was, until we wqere on top of it, it was a washed up whale, since the head was kind of eaten and the tailfin was not there, it measured maybe 30 feet. what a site though. i was going to take a picture with my hook in its mouth but when i walked on the downwind side, i almost puked. damn that thing smelled. when i got up to where i fish, my friend had already gotten there and i said "looks like my keeper washed back in". of course he laughed and said, "yea right". anyway..........it was about 5:30pm when we started fishing the incoming tide. it took about an hour for the fish to finally find us. it wasn't the killer night i had last week but the bite was pretty steady. there was definetly not enough surf last night, i blame the lack of fish on the conditions of the water. with the southerly winds and the fact that there were no waves, drove the bait out further. my friend started the night with a couple of schoolies, followed by a stray tautog going about 6lbs-16"...and the occasional skate (hate those friggin things). my other friend caught the next striper measuring maybe 27". I started reeling them in after a while, wasn't my turn to catch last night but i managed 4 fun size stripers, couple damn skates and because of the lack of fish, i'm taking credit for the whale, hahaha. we fished until 11:30pm only because they seemed to keep biting but it was kind of far and few between. the wind actually died down as the night went on and the sea turned into a sheet of glass. had a couple of other friends show up at about 10:30pm and they were hooking up with some schoolies as well, so it wasn't like it was boring anyway. It never ended up raining last night either even know i was all prepared for it (murphy's law). Oh by the way, that first fish that was caught by my friend was hooked in the tail, figure that one out. missed bite followed by the ole tail snag. bummer. he said it felt like a skate on the other end until he saw that he had hooked it like a champ, hahaha. all in all it was a good night, surrounded myself with good people, rain held off and the fish were kind of biting so no SKUNK. Goping to go plugging today on the incoming tide at Barrington beach, just heard alot of boaters have been killing them over there on the topwater. <shrug> any excuse to get out right? figured it was a good chance to test out that Okuma plugging rod i just bought. hopefully i have a report tonight. other than that, i'm heading back down for some night fishing this week and again next weekend.

SEEYA IN THE WAVES!!!!!

show me 6' waves and i'll show you a 15' rod that will make it seem like your fishing in a pond.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 PM

Default rhode island report

What a great season so far. The stripers are steadily feeding now and the bite is constant.

I went out last saturday night with a few friends, the wind was strong when we started but slowed down as the night went on giving way to great skies and next to no waves. the bite was constant but it wasnt a killer night by all means. everyone in the party hooked up that night. I'd rather the bite be a little quicker on account of fishing at night with clambellies, its nice to know that your bait did or didnt stay on by the fact of you getting bit or not. all in all it was a great night though. i'll say it once and i'll say it again......If your not taking the time to enjoy your surroundings as well as fish, your doing something wrong. i find that if i surround myself with great friends and great people, the fact that i catch fish or not doesn't seem to be so much ofa priority. don't forget to have fun out there !!!!

I went back out Monday night with a couple of friends and we got skunked, s*it happens. The wind was definetly coming from a bad direction for where i fish.

show me 6' waves and i'll show you a 15' rod that will make it seem like your fishing in a pond.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:00 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Briggs, I gotta fish with you someday!

Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 AM

Anytime jonny,

The fishing experience is even better now that my beach house opened up this Memorial Day weekend. I don't have to park on private property anymore and hope for the best. this is where it gets good. Now i park on private property but its mine. it also makes, before and after fishing a little more interesting, hahaha. I go fishing everyweekend and i try to get out a couple times a week if possible, so anytime you want to go out, just pick a weekend my friend.

did you happen to catch the news when they were showing that whale that came ashore on that private beach? that was my beach.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:23 PM

Default report

And away we go !!!!! Went down to the beach Saturday night to catch the tide. once again the tide and times were perfect. caught the incoming tide at around 5:00pm. which means once again...... we had the incoming, the lag at around 9pm and the nighttime. not only that but the pond that opens up into the ocean only 4-5 times a year, was now open. The forecast was calling for rain all night. maybe its just me but, shouldn't these weathermen stick their heads out the windows sometimes and not depend on the computers? the rain never came and a matter of fact, the stars were out all night and there wasn't a cloud in site. good thing i didn't 86 the trip on account of rain in the forecast. anyway, between that gut being open and raging and the tides, the first cast produced the first of many 36" linesiders. it was one of those nights that you didn't have to wonder whether you casted your clambellie off in the night........if you didn't get hit in the first couple of seconds, you threw it. the bite was steady from 5pm-10:30pm when the wind came in like a frieght train and the seaweed moved in in front of us. no big deal, our arms were tired from fighting the stripers and since we were staying over night at the beach house, it was now time to drink. the night produced 20+ fish. all between 28-38". not the monster i was looking for but as we all know.... who cares if your catching them. some of the best moments on this trip was the fact that they were hitting great in the daylight, always a thrill to actually watch the fight and not have to fumble for the headlight. I hope everyone else is having a great season. going to head back out tuesday and throw everything else but bait at them, time to have some fun !!!!!

aka surfcastermaster

Master of His own Domain
Old 06-06-2004, 10:33 PM

Nice report, sounds like a great evening. Ain't it great when you are into a school like that?

Do you use clams only or do you have plugs in that arsenal?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:25 PM

thanks charlie, yea, its great hitting the bite like that. sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. If i get there in the daylight like i did saturday, i usually start off using plugs to have some fun, but i didn't bring my plugging rod, i was all set up for clams only. trust me, i kick my self in the a** sometimes. the fact that "supposably" it was supposed to rain, i kind of lightened the load a little so i only brought what i was planning on using the most.

great night though.

aka surfcaster master

Master Of His Domain
Old 06-08-2004, 06:42 PM

Once again, away we go !!!!

After getting teased by one of my friends about how he was going out fishing last night, I figured i'd make it a full blown fishing trip. so i packed everything up and planned to stay at the beach house last night. we didn't get out on the shore until 9pm last night but my "teasing" friend had been there since 7pm. Once i arrived at where he was fishing (my spot), he said "i've never been happier to see clambellies in my life". He had been throwing plastics into the Tealike ocean since he got there to no avail. I say Tealike on account of the pond raging into the ocean and producing a brown "tealike" color to the water. The temp was around 60 degrees when we got there and it never really went down. One of the reasons i was so easily convinced to fish last night was the night i had on saturday. I had to go !!!

Since it was 9pm by the time we started throwing bellies to the surf, which was 2 hours before lowtide (lag), we started getting slammed immedietly. Once again, it was one of those nights that you didnt have to wonder if you threw your bait off or not. The seas which were maybe 3 feet high at 9pm had subsided to 1 foot and under by 11pm. the winds out of the SW were great for bringing the bait in towards us. my friend who got there at 7pm left by 11:30pm and me and my other buddy just kept fishing, producing fish after fish in the night air. Now maybe we would have left when the tide turned to outgoing at around 12:30am and the bite started to fade a little but, the time that the stripers stopped biting never came, as a matter of fact, it picked up. the bite got better and the fish kept getting bigger. Nothing close to 50" but at the end of the night, or should i say morning since we didn't walk off the beach until 3am, we ended up with 6 great keepers, and when i say great, i mean that at least 4 of them were over 38" with a couple at around 35" and i only bagged one little linesider on the last cast. My friend who was fishing maybe 30 feet away, walked away with all smalls but he landed 10 of them by the end of the night. add a few scup and a few skates to the mix and you've got yourself a great trip. By 1am, the moon had started to rise red through the clouds. half hour later we were turning off our headlights and fishing with the moonlight. talk about a beautiful night. I hope all you guys and gals are having the same luck. tight lines everyone !!!

aka surfcastermaster

Master of His Domain
Old 06-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Default WOW!

A story like that just sends chills down my spine. Sounds like an awesome night! ...Hoping to have one of those myself real soon!
Congrats on a great night!