Braided lines no good? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Braided lines no good?

Quote:
What brand of line were you using?
Magibraid braided dacron

Quote:
someone shoulda told you that you need to spool in on wet and it would very well have fit. or you put on 40 or 50 when reel calls for 20?
Only thing I did was spool a thin layer of 15lb mono on first and i am using 20lb braid. Should I try electrical tape next time? How would I go about spooling it on wet?
Quote:
just didn't break off in your hand holding it?
It was probably the second cast on this line since being spooled. I was pulling line out through the drag to put it in my sand spike when it just broke off. Kinda weird I thought. Just looked at it and its frayed where it broke off.

Ive really liked using braid. All my freshwater reels have mono and braid has given me less problems overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Pro Staff

You need to check your guides and the bail/roller on your reel for cracks or nicks that are fraying the line. Run a cotton ball through each guide carefully and if it snags on anything you can bet that is what caused your line to fray and break.

Your mono backing is fine. To spool the line on wet, drop the spool of line in a bucket of water and leave it there while you wind it onto your reel, aways keeping it under tension while doing so. This will help ensure that the line is packed tightly.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Striper Hunter

[quote\] All of this info could be wrong, but this is what I have heard.

Braid is not well suited for spinning reels.

Braid uses specific knots. Not quite specialty ones, but the usual list of knots you can use well on mono, some of them are not good on braided.

My two cents, everytime I am out fishing, I usually loose a rig or two on the rocks. If your bottom fishing and more so on the shore, using braided can get pricey.[/quote]

I converted to braided line quite some time ago & have been using it exclusively for about 6-8 yrs now.

Some things that I found are:

You may be right about some knots not being good for braid, bu I haven't found any that gave me problems ( I use mostly uni knots).

When I fish snaggy water I like to use a mono or flouro leader that has a pound test less than my main line, or else tie a single overhand knot somewhere in the leader, so that if I get hung up the leader breaks rather than somewhere up the line, so I lose very little braid.

The only reels I've had trouble with using braided line were the Penn 450ssg & 550ssg that I had, for some reason I got terrible birds nests with them.

Another thing I like that I hadn't seen mentioned is that, while mono should be changed at least once a season, a good braided line (like Power Pro) lasts me at least 5 yrs. If the tag end starts to get frayed I cut it back, & if the color starts to fade more than I like I just remove the braid & then put it on backwards, so the new line is up front.

I love the sensitivity, the solid hook sets (also because of the lack of stretch), the total lack of memory when casting, ie no loops coming off the spool, & longer casts because of it, plus the very small diameter of the braid, which gives me longer casts, more line for back up on a smaller, lighter reel, & when I'm bottom fishing or trolling I can get down deeper with stronger line with less weigt needed, again because of the small diameter.

The only down sides I can think of are that you can't cut it with most clippers, must use a sharp knife or very sharp scissors, that it will cut you more easily than mono, & that because of it's small diameter, in dim light it's harder for me to see with these old eyes of mine.

I honestly can't see myself ever going back to mono.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
Magibraid braided dacron
I'm not familiar with that particular brand of Dacron, but most modern "braided lines" usually refers to a brand of "Dyneema", which is much thinner & stronger than any dacron I've seen.

I've also read that dacron, if not thoroughly dried will rot on the spool. This is never a problem with Power Pro, Daiwa "BOAT" braided line, etc.

If you liked dacron, I think you'll love the more modern braided lines.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Official Member

Everybody has the opions on both sides . I fish for walleye also . I am using 6/20 for my bottom bouncer for the first time after somebody said about it . I caught a 28 incher last month and walleye are more skittish then Stripers I would think . I also use for Carolina rigging . Just need to use a leader IMO . I didnt like it on my spinning reel but some say different . Try it out and see how you feel and then decide if right for you .
Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Official Member

so I recently spooled my new reel for surfcasting which is rated to hold 500+ yards of 12lbs mono. I spooled on 50lbs test power pro which is supposed to be the same as 12lbs but the reel only took 200 yards or so.

I used a layer of hockey friction tape as a backing but that's no thicker than electrical.

could this be because I didn't spool it on wet like you've recommended? will I be able to fish with <250 yards of line throwing 5oz sinkers from shore?

getting itchy to fish and don't wanna run out of line if I hook a big one.

Edit: forgot to add the rod is 12ft uglystik
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Striper Hunter

power pro is crap i would go with samurai braid where are you fishing if your not fishing mtk or another rocky area no need for fifty pound also if you get spooled by a bass you should probably swim after it
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Stretch,

What reel do you have? Are you sure the capacity is 500 yds? Seems like an awful lot! I agree that 50lb test seems excessive...20-30lb should be more than enough for bass. How do you know you only have 200 yds on your reel? How far can you cast?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the reply's - reel is an okuma avenger 65.

I bought a 300 yard spool and I'm estimating about 2/3's of it went on the reel but I honestly haven't had a chance to cast it yet.

as far as 50lbs test being over the top I am working on another lighter set up on a different rod. I do fish some rocky points and beaches in CT.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
First Mate

There have been several Avenger models over the years, and there are currently 2 different models available, the AV-65b and the ABF-65 (Baitfeeder model). As best I can tell, there are/were several different size spools and line capacities offered. Some of the older models are still available from online retailers.

AV-65 (330/12)
AV-65a (430/12)
AV-65b (430/12)
ABF-65 (540/12)

In addition, some of the models came with an additional spool, one aluminum and one graphite. I believe the graphite spools usually had a smaller line capacity due to a larger spool diameter. Okuma doesn’t publish braid capacities on their site, but I would think (as you do) that no matter what type of line you use, identical spool diameters should hold the identical capacity of identical diameter lines. HOWEVER, this is not necessarily true...if you go to the Shimano site, they rate their BTR 6000D (baitrunner) capacities as mono = 265/12 and braid = 210/50...and yet they claim their PowerPro 50lb braid has the same diameter as 12lb mono. Similarly, Penn states their SSV6500BLS (liveliner) capacities as mono = 330/12 and braid = 280/12...???

How you wound up with only 200 yds of 50lb braid on your reel is a mystery to me. Is the line capacity printed on the reel spool? Maybe you could pick up a spool of really cheap 12lb mono and put it on your reel and see how much it holds.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Official Member

Yea how it only took 200-250 yards is a mystery to me all I can think is that I spooled it on wrong. The reel is a baitfeeder model but I forget the specific model #.

think it would be worth it to re spool and try to get more than 250 on? will wetting the line before I spool it make that much of a difference?

Thanks again for the help, I'm new to saltwater fishing/ rigs. If I tried to cast 100 yards where I fish I'd be wrapped round a tree limb on the other side of the river.

-stretch
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
First Mate

The only way you can spool braid incorrectly is to not use enough tension - you have to wind it on tightly to prevent the line from digging into the line on the spool when you fight a large fish. Wetting the line will do nothing positive - the line does not absorb water, and if anything, the water in between the layers of line may reduce the amount of line on the spool. I wouldn't be concerned with having more than 250 yds on your reel. If the amount of line is that important to you, replace the 50lb with 20 or 30lb - that will be more than enough for bass. If you do manage to wrap your line around a tree limb across the river, that 50lb line of yours may just uproot the whole damn tree!