Best line to use - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Official Member

Default Best line to use

I regularly fish the canal mostly every other week and for the past year ive been losing gear just about every time i go out. whats the best type of line to use? i have heard braided is the best because of the rocky bottom...just wanted to know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Best line to use

I use 30# to 65# test braided line in the canal, depending on what I'm fishing, with a long leader. Braided line is actually less abrasion resistant than mono, so a mono or flourocarbon leader that is long enough to keep the braid off the rocks is critical.

I use the 30# test and a spinning reel when I'm casting lures that will stay near the surface. The 65# test comes out on the conventional reel for bottom jigging.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Official Member

Thanks. I knew I needed to change that because i kept losing my gear more than usual. A weekend fishing started to get real expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Been there done that...Jake has given you good advise on what to do. You can get away with lighter line when fishing the surface or upper water column...Think heavy..and then go even heavier when on the bottom. A few years ago I made the mistake of jigging with 20# braid with a 30# flouro leader and got my ass kicked. You have more to battle then just the fish. A big bass will use the current to their advantage to spool your ass..if your gear is to weak to turn her head youre gonna lose her.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Depends on what type of fishing your doing, bait/plugging/jigging. I don't use bait in three years haven't lost any line to speak of. Are you hanging the bottom, birds nest, or just breaking line on cast. There could be a bunch of reasons why. Spinning reel, conventional reel, what type of rod how long, how old is the rod, what type of line, mono/braid/pound test, type of knot. Fill us in here or send me PM and I'll try to help you out.