wire leader? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Default wire leader?

first striper strip planned for this week!! I have been noticing in the fishing reports that there are alot of big blues mixed in with the stripers. I plan on fishing bait and some plugging. My question is, since there are so many blues mixed in with the stripers, do you recommend using a steel leader when I am baiting fishing and plugging. I hate to loose those expensive plugs to a blue when I am targeting stripers. Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: wire leader?

if your targeting bluefish a steel leader is fine on tins and steel. however, even bluefish have great eyesight in this gin clear water this time of year. so on plugs, your liable to elicit more strikes by bluefish than bass using metal leader. but even bluefish will veer off a plug as it is looking for something specific (usually in color). using a heavy gauge fluorocarbon leader will make better sense on large plugs but on smaller plugs it won't matter with bluefish as your chances of getting bit off are greater. depending on what area you fish will dictate what the prevalent bait is ie; p-nuts/mullet/large bunker/sandeels/anchovies - and most of the time you won't encounter bass on large bunker unless your lucky enough to catch it out there so always carry a couple of large bottle plugs and lipped swimmers and imo worth losing at the prospect of catching a big bass. 20-30# fluorocarbon leader is what your should be using with small tins/jigs- hogy's-slug-go's - and any worms and eel imitators/bucktails/storm shads/stubby's/needles/and some subsurface woods and plastics. in the event of baitfishing? a steel leader can save your rig and a bass will pick up a head or chunk readily and if your focused? you won't miss the hit. being frugal in this sport has it's dissadvantages as you have savvy fish that are picky & not appreciating your visual presentation. be prepared to lose plugs/jigs/tins to bluefish as it is the norm around here. it's a short time frame to catch fish and you can gear up again over the off season. so really who cares if i lose a bunch of plugs and tins to the occaisional bluefish when i won't be able to use them for three or four months after the holliday.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Striper Hunter

i use 7strand wire leaders 18 "---with swimers. if the fish are vearing away, tie right to a mano leader 40lb for 20line, 50 for 30line. some times if the fish are realy fall feeding it wont bother them, if thay seem picky cant hook up, go with the mano leader.--------or i use a spider hitch doubble with a snapswivel tied to the end easyyy to tie its a very strong knot and leader system,,, then you wont need a mano leader at all with the spider hitch. try it its easyyyy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Striper Hunter

if your bait fishing for blues with chunks, you need a leader 12" wire-7strand crimed to the hook. iv gotten bass on leaders with bait when thay are in the feeding mood...